Gaudio Out As Wake Forest Basketball Coach

Cue Doogie's 'Tubby to any ACC school' rumor. I have to say WF is far more likely then Clemson though.

Yeah, I posted this but it was buried in the Purnell thread.

I made mention that I was in no way implying that Tubby is a candidate. Just an add-on to the turnover taking place in the ACC right now. Kind of crazy to fire a 61-31 coach after a season they made it to the 2nd round of the tourney.

Yeah, I posted this but it was buried in the Purnell thread.

I made mention that I was in no way implying that Tubby is a candidate. Just an add-on to the turnover taking place in the ACC right now. Kind of crazy to fire a 61-31 coach after a season they made it to the 2nd round of the tourney.

Agree with Pewter. This is a pretty curious decision all things considered. Wake Forest must have already dotted all the "i's" and crossed all the "t's" on the next coach to fire a guy who has won more than 60 percent of his games during his tenure there. Either that or they're taking a significant gamble here.

Agree with Pewter. This is a pretty curious decision all things considered. Wake Forest must have already dotted all the "i's" and crossed all the "t's" on the next coach to fire a guy who has won more than 60 percent of his games during his tenure there. Either that or they're taking a significant gamble here.

That and the timing is poor. Why wait until 2 weeks after your season ends? You're a lot more behind the 8-ball trying to hire someone now then 2 weeks ago. Kind of like not firing the football coach until January. No one does that...oh wait.

That and the timing is poor. Why wait until 2 weeks after your season ends? You're a lot more behind the 8-ball trying to hire someone now then 2 weeks ago. Kind of like not firing the football coach until January. No one does that...oh wait.

Makes you wonder if there's something else going on here? Pewter - you follow the ACC closely, I know nothing about Gaudio - does this have anything to do with something other than wins and losses. The timing is odd - and they had a good season.

Makes you wonder if there's something else going on here? Pewter - you follow the ACC closely, I know nothing about Gaudio - does this have anything to do with something other than wins and losses. The timing is odd - and they had a good season.

I have the same question. Seems this kind of came out of the blue and it also seems that the Wake Forest people on their scout.com site were pretty much in shock. On top of that, they had a pretty good season. Not a great one, but certainly not one that would figure to get somebody fired. I wonder if there is something more to this story than simply a school firing a coach.

This is what I know about Gaudio:

1. He has a history of negative recruiting that crosses the line of fair play.
2. He's a Herb Brooks-style coach in practice.
3. He won over Wake fans in his handling of the Skip Prosser situation.

None of the above is a fireable offense (obviously not #3). I'm guessing it's either something we don't know that happened or it's an AD that has unrealistic expectations. It's gonna take more than 3 years to build a team on par with Duke and UNC. Winston-Salem is only 80 miles from RDU and they've kind of been the shadows of the 2 programs for a while (except the Duncan years and possibly the Chris Paul/Josh Howard teams) similar to NC St. I can't believe he would be fired just because of his 61-31 record.

Cue Doogie's 'Tubby to any ACC school' rumor. I have to say WF is far more likely then Clemson though.

Too much pressure there I have to believe ... He has none here ... he'll go to a place where if he takes them to the NCAA tournament, he'll be viewed as super ... still believe after his father's death, he eventually wants to be closer to his family though.

Too much pressure there I have to believe ... He has none here ... he'll go to a place where if he takes them to the NCAA tournament, he'll be viewed as super ... still believe after his father's death, he eventually wants to be closer to his family though.

This is why no one respects your opinion.

Okay...

I think it's pretty safe to assume...
  1. one of the reasons that Mo Walker wants to commit here is because of Tubby....
  2. Mo thinks we could have the chance of getting Cory to come with
  3. I KNOW that Cory would never commit to a school without a top-notch coach (even Lon Krueger at UNLV is amazing)
    So....
  4. Cory's still considering Minnesota, so Tubby MUST HAVE told him that he'll be there regardless...

JEEZ... these writers need to stop these rumors....

You're being a tad inconsistant. First, he doesn't have 'no pressure' here. This isn't Northwestern. No one's going to think it's 'super' to lose in the 1st round again next year. It was only acceptable this year due to extenuating circumstances.

Second, the GT job has as much or more pressure then WF. And you say it's a fact he was 'gone' if the GT job was offered. So which is it? If he was tempted by the GT job, he'd be tempted by WF. They're very similar jobs.

North Carolina won last year and Duke won this year so I imagine Wake has feelings of inadequacy.

I bet this really bums out Oregon. Both the Deacons and the Ducks will be after Stevens now.

Total BS. You are absolutely clueless, bubba.

Tubby is NOT happy just getting to the NCAA tournament.

Sheesh.

Seriously, people, this gets old after awhile. I understand that it's another school in the ACC, and it's closer to where Tubby grew up and all, but he is on the cusp of bringing in one of the top recruiting duos (CJ and Walker), and I think things look pretty good for his future here at the U. It can only HURT recruiting when we start a new thread every time a new job opens. We need more threads about how great recruiting looks, and how the Golden Gophers are going to steamroll Big Ten opponents like UW and Iowa, among others, in the years to come, with Orlando "Tubby" Smith continuing to sit on his stool near Minnesota's bench at The Barn. Period.

Please ignore this crap, Cory and Maurice, and sign with Minnesota to get the Gophs headed toward a National Championship.

Where do get off telling us Tubby's inner motivations?

So...
He wants no pressure. So he chose to be high profile basketball coach...

He needs to be "viewed as super" .... I cannot believe you are a paid journalist. This man has achieved at the highest level in his profession. He no longer (unlike yourself) is so insecure that he needs to have his self-esteeem provided externally.

He wants to be closer to his family. Even if this is true, it feels perverse to have some sports-media-I'm not even sure who are-person try to plumb the inner grief of someone he obviously doesn't respect and is obviously not close to.

Please, stop trying to appear more knowlegeable than you betray yourself to be. And PLEASE, think about injecting compassion into your work.

What's surprising to me about the Gaudio firing is they have a top-5 recruiting class coming in, already signed. Changing coaches opens you up to the possibility that those guys leave unless you know you're getting a coach who'll be able to keep them there. But no question Gaudio's teams at WF have underperformed based on their high end talent. Having the wheels fall off after being ranked #1 last year and getting beaten easily by Cleveland State in the first round of the tourney was really bad & smacked of poor coaching IMO.

So...

He needs to be "viewed as super" .... I cannot believe you are a paid journalist. This man has achieved at the highest level in his profession. He no longer (unlike yourself) is so insecure that he needs to have his self-esteeem provided externally.

He wants to be closer to his family. Even if this is true, it feels perverse to have some sports-media-I'm not even sure who are-person try to plumb the inner grief of someone he obviously doesn't respect and is obviously not close to.

Please, stop trying to appear more knowlegeable than you betray yourself to be. And PLEASE, think about injecting compassion into your work.

Can you say....BOX! Well stated

So...

Bingo. MN media is pathetic but this Doogie moron is BY FAR the worst of the bunch.

This is why no one respects your opinion.

I have to get Doogie's back here - I also agree he has little pressure here - and I have said he has no pressure here (actually just today) in comparison to the Kentucky's, Wakes, UNC's, etc. of the world.

I think when you look at the pressure (quite honestly, if he takes us to the tourney every year, wins a game or two in it, he's golden), the money he makes, the quality of life he has here - which included living in a metropolitan city, and the fact that most fans here thing Tubby is a god...I honestly don't think there's anyway he chooses to leave, unless there is no progress with the practice facility.

Look at it, since the 1990-91 season, we've been to the tourney 3 times, as far as the NCAA is concerned, 2/3 were under Tubby. It's not like this is a school that has a basketball tradition of going every year, and multiple runs to the Final 4 and Elite 8. Can we get there? Absolutely, but it's not an expectation right now, it's a goal.

Total BS. You are absolutely clueless, bubba.

Tubby is NOT happy just getting to the NCAA tournament.

Sheesh.

Stalker of Tubby -- When did I ever say Tubby is just happy with getting to the NCAA tournament? His competitive juices flow as much as anyone's ... What I said was the pressure on him to win is non-existent ... From Maturi, etc.

Not a big fan of the war of words, but for me to completely ignore is tough ... I see it, and it can get to me, especially knowing FOT's background, and how he thinks I am clueless ... FOT: I have heard the stories ... your moniker is a terrible representation of how you are with Tubby.

Plus this is a superior city and job. You forgot that, you absolute joke.

I think the joke is you hiding behind your moniker ... at least use your real name if you're gonna spew stuff like that in my direction.

As a member of the media Doogie I have to ask and I'm using Souhan as an example-

-Gophers forward Paul Carter is transferring from the U to be closer to his sister, who has cancer.

I can't say I know Carter well, but the times I interviewed him, I found him to be a compelling and endearing figure, a guy who, because of family issues and Katrina, wound up moving all over the country trying to land in the right place.

I also liked watching him play. He was intense, versatile and unselfish. Best wishes, Paul.

-Of course, it would be a cheap shot to say that Carter is just going to transter so he can be with Tubby Smith when Smith takes his new job.

Is there seriously some sort of chasm between the media and Tubby?

doogie

I think the joke is you hiding behind your moniker ... at least use your real name if you're gonna spew stuff like that in my direction.

While it is true I hide behind my seat Section number on this board, I am pretty sure "Handsome Pete" is in fact his given name.

:)

Stalker of Tubby -- When did I ever say Tubby is just happy with getting to the NCAA tournament? His competitive juices flow as much as anyone's ... What I said was the pressure on him to win is non-existent ... From Maturi, etc.

Doogie, I hope I've been more respectful then most in my replies to you. But I don't think you've addressed the inconsistency in these two statements...

1. He was 'gone' to GT.

2. He won't take the WF job because he wants less pressure, and somewhere they apreciate just making the tournament.

Other then Atlanta being a big city, WF and GT are very similar jobs. They're in the ACC. They have pretty tough academic standards. They have pretty high expectations. They have to operate under the shadow of Carolina and Duke, etc.

Why would he be 100% gone to one, and not interested in the other? Your logic is flawed somewhere. FWIW, my username contains enough parts of my name for anyone sick enough to care to figure it out.

Top Bottom