Sad day for Gopher Fans - Paul Carter is transferring

GopherLady

Reaction score
I don't think it's any secret that Paul Carter is one of my favorite players. For those of you that have not had the pleasure of meeting him, he is one of the most kind, humble, and spiritual people you will ever meet. I honestly don't think he has a mean bone in his body, and he has represented the gophers with class and positivity. His stay was far too short here, but he just informed me that he is going to be transferring. He did want me to pass along the message he sent me, to thank you all for everything...he says it far better than I can, here it is:

Paul Carter April 7 at 1:01am

Hi Nadine! I wanted to tell you how much I thank you and the Gopher Nation as a whole! I have some news, I will be transferring back home to be closer to my sister and play my last year. I just wanted you to thank the fans for me because of their support, I felt at home here at the U. It has been a really tough process dealing with this choice but I must be with my family at this time. I'm telling you this because you are a great person and you have such a caring heart! I am going to be forever Grateful for the support I received from you and the fans! I have had an awesome experience!!! I have been so blessed to play here the people are amazing the fans are amazing and the city is amazing!!!!!! My family and I thank you so much for the support for my sister and for me since I've put on that #1 jersey!!!! Please stay in touch and may God bless you and keep his grace over you in all that you do its been a great journey!!!!!! My teammates are my brothers and Gopher nation will forever be my family!!!!! With mad love!!! PC#1

My heart and thoughts go out to his sister, and I hope for a very quick recovery for her. As for Paul, I wish you the best - I have to think if good things happen to good people, then he will be blessed with a great future.

Best wishes to Paul Carter and his family, while I would for have loved for him to stay he is making the best decision possible to be with his sister at this time. We will miss you Paul, wherever you end up you will always have a fan here!

Wow, that is some sad news. I, for one, did not see this coming and I'm shocked to see this. I think I can say for most people that PC will be missed and I wish him and his sister good luck in the future!

even thou its sad news, I certainly understand about PC choosing to be by his family's side during these times. It also shows what class Paul Carter really is to report this to the gopher fans 1st rather then hearing it elsewhere. Take care of your sister man and hope everything is well.

Sad news ... Carter seemed to be a class player and to get along with his teammates. I was banking on him to replace Damian Johnson next year.

All the best to Paul, his sister and their parents.

It seems you've been a force of good in his life as well, GL.

If you happen to read this Paul, thank you.

It has been a pleasure rooting for you and watching you play. Your incredible talent on the court was balanced with a team spirit that was refreshing and inspiring to me as a fan. I was hoping for and predicting a great senior campaign for you as a Gopher. I now wish you well wherever you go next and through all the twists and turns of life.

When the team came together to honor your courageous sister, it seemed to spark something almost magical that created a feeling of cohesivenss that was apparent to those of us watching. I wish her health and wholeness.

People of quality elevate the things and people they come into contact with. You're one of those people.

Paul was one of my favorite players on the team, I was really looking forward to what he could to do as a senior. I wish all the best to Paul and his family.

Thanks Paul

I too want to wish Paul the best and thank him for all he has done. I have also really enjoyed watching him play and he has been nothing but class representing the Gophers. Paul we will be praying for you and your family.

That's tough news. I've been a big fan of Paul's since he got here and really looked forward to his senior leadership next year that we will now definitely miss.

I hope his sister has a full recovery and that Paul's future is a bright one, which I'm sure it will be.

Go Gophers!!

I'm really sad to hear that, but I understand why he is choosing to. Basketball is temporary, but family is forever. I would probably make the same choice, given that situation. I really enjoyed watching him play this year, I hope things turn out for the best.

Sad sad news. I tip my hat to Paul for doing what is best for his family and himself. That said, we'll really miss you Paul. Great player and great person. I remember before one game last year, the student section had their player profiles for that game and Carter and Bostick were the players. While both are fine young men I assume, the answers to the questions were so different that it was easy to see what kind of guy Paul was. Case in point. "Favorite Role Model" Bostick: Kobe Bryant Carter: Jesus Christ.

Paul Carter - Thank you for being a great role model and representative of Minnesota. I really enjoyed watching you play, especially your drives to the basket for mad dunks. You handled the occasional crazy charge calls much better than I did.

Thank you for what you are doing now - your sister and family need you. My prayers go out to the Carter family.

To echo everyone else, we'll certainly miss Paul C. on the team. My ability to watch him these past couple seasons has been limited, but in my brief viewing, Carter emerged as a favorite-full of energy, a great teammate, etc. Of course, that pales with what is going on with his family and as much as I'd love to see what he could do as a senior, I fully respect the decision he is making. Best wishes to your sister's recovery and your future Paul, thanks for representing the "U" with such class during your time here.

I know it's not the most important thing on his mind, but I hope that there is some kind of NCAA exemption for family illness so that Paul can play right away instead of sitting out a year.

I also wish him the best and will miss getting the chance to see him fully develop in Maroon and Gold...I loved his talent and length.

What school is he heading for?

Doing the right thing is not always the easiest road, but it does ensure peace of mind and heart. Paul Carter gets it. God and family are first, no matter what. His family is blessed to have him, as we were as extended basketball family the last couple of years. I wish you well, and prayers are with you and your family.

Bummer. Here's to wishing Paul Carter, his sister and his family all the best during what is a very difficult time. My heart goes out to Carter and his family as they navigate this adjustment in their lives. Paul, you will be missed and always will be a part of the Gopher family!!! :)

Take care and best wishes.

No doubt Paul will be able to play next year. Iowa's Tyler Smith did this a few years ago to be with a parent who had terminal cancer and was eligible immediately at Tenn., others have done so as well. At one point there was some talk that the family might move up here but i would guess that with the amount of times they have already moved in the past 5 years, that this was an easier choice although I'm sure not a happy one knowing that Paul is giving up something he really likes. Good luck to Paul and hopefully he can find a nice place overseas to make some $ and who knows maybe someday get a break in the NBA, even if brief, and be able to take care of his family.

I remember Paul's first several games of his career at the U. He was hurt with the ankle injury and in street clothes for the games. But while the others were warming up he was out at center court with a huge smile on his face. Then, as the band played, he'd be doing the rouser louder than anyone, pumping his fist to the MINNESOTA. I was pretty sure then that he was going to be one of my favorite players.

He was making big strides as a player this season too. Sad to see him go but wish him and his sister nothing but the best. Stay classy and smiling PC!

Paul, you will be missed, but not forgotten. You are a special person. God Bless you.

This decision by Paul and his family shows far more strength and purpose as a role model than being a college basketball player ever could--Paul, I applaud your strength and love of your family. God bless you and your family and best of luck. Thanks for being part of the Gophers.

While I am sad to see PC go because I really enjoyed watching him play, I am very happy that his priorities lie in the right place. I hope his sister recoveries quickly, and I hope all the best to Paul in the future. Family is something that should trump basketball, and I applaud Paul for feeling that way.

Big loss for us. Prayers for his sister's recovery and I hope that whatever school is lucky enough to get him - realizes what a class act he is.

Good luck Paul!

Bummer for sure. The Goph's will really miss his spirit and his play.

Paul was the spiritual leader of this team, he will be absolutely missed. We'll miss that lefty shooting stroke he was really starting to develop at the end of this year, but even more so his leadership.

I was always confident when P. Carter was on the floor. While he might not have had a great offensive repertoire, he always brought something to the floor. Great defense, tremendous hustle, outstanding rebounding, huge baskets toward the end of the year. Great player to watch. I really liked him and wish we had more of his caliber.

Wish him well. He will most certainly be missed.

His leadership was the thing I was must looking forward to for next year. It's clear he has the respect of all the guys on the team. For as good as Westbrook and Damian were their leadership was lacking this year. I was hoping PC would pull a Zoubek next year: Start the season coming off the bench, earn a starting spot in the line-up half way through the season, and spark a deep post season run.

Thanks PC for your time at MN. Good Luck moving forward!

Best of luck to Paul and his family. He will be missed. With all that went on this season off the court, it's comforting to know the Gopher program had a person of Paul's caliber to help steady the ship. The program that inherits Paul next season will be getting a winner in the truest sense of the word.

Best of luck to Paul and his sister and entire family. Paul is a great person and an even better big brother!

Does anyone know where his sister and family are living? What colleges might be in line for his services?

Top Bottom