Minnesota Team Report - Yahoo Sports

Reaction score
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=teamreports-2010-ncaab-mbd

Clipped- What Went Right: The Gophers’ depth kept them fresh late in the season as other teams wore down. Eight players averaged at least 13 minutes and a switch from less press to more zone defense sparked the defensive-minded Gophers late in the season. Sophomores Devoe Joseph and Colton Iverson grew up, adding some punch to a lineup already filled with balance. Joseph replaced Al Nolen as the starting point guard following Nolen’s academic suspension, and while he’s not the ball-handler or defensive demon Nolen is, Joseph is a more complete offensive player. Iverson learned how to play with his 7-foot frame and averaged 10.2 points through the Big Ten tournament. He and fellow 7-footer Ralph Sampson III played well together late in the season, a big reason why the Gophers were able to salvage an at-large berth in the NCAA Tournament. Lawrence Westbrook hit big shots and carried Minnesota when needed, even if his mental lapses drove Tubby Smith crazy. Westbrook became a defensive monster following Nolen’s suspension. Blake Hoffarber was the league’s best 3-point shooter (76 of 158).

The Good News: The Gophers proved something to themselves by fighting back and qualifying for the NCAA Tournament despite a difficult regular season. That type of tenacity and mental toughness will go a long way next season, when Minnesota could be even better despite losing its leading scorer. The chance for Royce White and Trevor Mbakwe to play next season, along with point guard Al Nolen, would make the Gophers defensive monsters.

The Bad News: Minnesota loses three seniors, and two of them are vital to this team. Lawrence Westbrook led the team in scoring and picked up the defensive effort following Al Nolen’s suspension. Westbrook was the only player really capable of carrying the Gophers at hitting the big shots when needed. He’ll be difficult to replace. Damain Johnson is one of the most underappreciated players in the league. He is departing and taking his 1.9 blocks, 1.9 steals and 53-percent shooting percentage with him. Devron Bostick, the third of the departing seniors, is simply a role player who played sparingly.

Key Returnees: Ralph Sampson III and Colton Iverson could be on the verge of dominating. The pair of 7-foot juniors played well together late in the season and could be a miserable matchup for opponents. Blake Hoffarber led the league in 3-point shooting and will be a senior next season, as will Al Nolen, provided his grades improve. Nolen’s defensive tenacity, coupled with Devoe Joseph’s scoring ability, will give the Gophers a powerful backcourt combination.

Yeah, this is great.

It has kind of a positive look at the team.....

This couldn't have been written by a twin cities sports reporter... did they fly someone in?

Pretty nice writeup. Nothing new, but it was refreshing to read a piece about the gophers that's accurate.

Agree with most of this. One exception is the statement that this was a team "filled with balance". With no true power forward this just isn't true. If Mbakwe is playing next year and either White gets his act together or we sign Mo Walker, we will have better balance. They still need a point guard to free up Devoe to play the 2-guard. If they get all this they will have balance.

Nothing earthshaking, except it's nice to read a report that is actually done from a realistic perspective. I get so tired of the Trib writers and their sky is falling takes on stuff that it's nice to actually read something that is reasonable. I think they are overrating the loss of Westbrook, but I may change my mind when it comes to crunch time next year and no one except Devoe wants the ball. Damian will be a definite loss. Carter has a similar body and may be a slightly better outside shooter, but he doesn't do all the things that DJ did.

I think they are overrating the loss of Westbrook, but I may change my mind when it comes to crunch time next year and no one except Devoe wants the ball.

+1 on the crunch time.

"Westbrook became a defensive monster following Nolen’s suspension" -Where did they come up with that?

Top Bottom