Oliver Purnell to DePaul

Yes. Doogie's already twittering away about Tubby to Clemson and how Tubby was absolutely gone to GT. Oy. Give it a rest.

I think this is a good hire for Depaul... They got an established high major coach, who proved he can win games in a difficult ACC conference.

As for Purnell, I have to assume he got tired of competing with the other tobacco road teams in recruiting and sees depaul as a untapped recruiting hotbed.

Overall it is a Win-Win

Yes. Doogie's already twittering away about Tubby to Clemson and how Tubby was absolutely gone to GT. Oy. Give it a rest.

Yep, an ACC job in the Carolinas. I knew Doogie would jump on that. Very predictable. Tubby does have connections in South Carolina, having been an assistant coach at USC in the 1980s. I think FOT one time suggested that South Carolina tried to lure Tubby there at some point in his career. Not sure if there'd ever be any interest in Clemson. Doubtful.

Yep, an ACC job in the Carolinas. I knew Doogie would jump on that. Very predictable. Tubby does have connections in South Carolina, having been an assistant coach at USC in the 1980s. I think FOT one time suggested that South Carolina tried to lure Tubby there at some point in his career. Not sure if there'd ever be any interest in Clemson. Doubtful.

Doesn't surprise me. I don't follow him on Twitter since he is about as informed as any old inanimate object and his rumors are baseless, but that's pretty funny if he already did Tubby to Clemson. What a tool shed.

I was told this a.m. that with Tubby doing enough long-term planning (stuff through May), that it would be shocking if he left now ... but if you don't think that he would've taken the GT job, I have some Enron stock to sell you.
His father's death has taken a toll on him big-time ... he likes it here, but he is far away from his family ... if he can get closer to his family (has siblings in Georgia), I think he jumps at it ... the No. 1 thing to keep him here would be to make Saul the coach-in-waiting, and I highly doubt the "U" would do that ... and rightfully so.

Doesn't surprise me. I don't follow him on Twitter since he is about as informed as any old inanimate object and his rumors are baseless, but that's pretty funny if he already did Tubby to Clemson. What a tool shed.

Tool shed? ... you're a wise one ... Never wrote anything like Dennis Dodd or others saying Tubby is going to Clemson ... simply asked the question that if they called, would he be interested? ... and since, believe at this time he would not ... but do I think that this is his last job? I don't ... and would bet you anything you would like on that.

Doogie - your an f ing idiot. And no I'm not hiding behind my computer, I would love to say it to your face.

I was told this a.m. that with Tubby doing enough long-term planning (stuff through May), that it would be shocking if he left now ... but if you don't think that he would've taken the GT job, I have some Enron stock to sell you.
His father's death has taken a toll on him big-time ... he likes it here, but he is far away from his family ... if he can get closer to his family (has siblings in Georgia), I think he jumps at it ... the No. 1 thing to keep him here would be to make Saul the coach-in-waiting, and I highly doubt the "U" would do that ... and rightfully so.

GT job is probably behind only Maryland for jobs that MIGHT tempt Tubby. And it could well be that he would have taken it. But you're stating that is if it's a fact, and it isn't. I love how everyone just assumes that GT would have fallen all over itself offering Tubby the job. There's a reason it would have tempted Tubby. It's one of the 25 best jobs in America. That means a lot of other folks would have been very interested too.

If GT comes open a year from now (unlikely at this point) maybe he takes it. But do they want a 60-year old coach? You mentioned Georgia too. That's ridiculous for multiple reasons. First, the odds of that job opening in the next 2-3 years is about zero. Second, it's not that great of a job, it's right there with Auburn.

Bottom-line is that Tubby may not love everything about MN. But if he really wanted to leave just to get closer to family or to make is wife happy with better weather, he'd be gone already.

I don't doubt that you have some source telling you this and Souhan has some source telling him about Tubby's feelers. But let's be honest, clearly some of your sources are not up to par. I don't question that you believe what you've been told. But between you and Souhan it's hard not to simply tune out KSTP when it comes to college basketball. Jim basically said he hates college basketball on your show today, am I right? At least Reusse seems to have enough sense to stay out of the Gopher talk when he doens't know anything and focus on the Twins instead.

Now I threw a lot of crap your way Doogie, and for that I apologize ( sincerely ) but I'm reminded of the line in National Treasure, you know the one where Riley and the rest of the cast are in the boat and they're trying to figure out the riddle and one of the bad guys pipes up " iron pen " in reference to a prison or something and Riley responds " Albuquerque! " .. " snorkel!" " see, I can do that too"

Nothing but speculation on your part. :)

This crap has got to stop. The local media in this town has made themselves look like total buffoons trying to "outscoop" each other and the national media on Tubby rumors.

Let it go for goodness sakes

GT job is probably behind only Maryland for jobs that MIGHT tempt Tubby. And it could well be that he would have taken it. But you're stating that is if it's a fact, and it isn't. I love how everyone just assumes that GT would have fallen all over itself offering Tubby the job. There's a reason it would have tempted Tubby. It's one of the 25 best jobs in America. That means a lot of other folks would have been very interested too.

If GT comes open a year from now (unlikely at this point) maybe he takes it. But do they want a 60-year old coach? You mentioned Georgia too. That's ridiculous for multiple reasons. First, the odds of that job opening in the next 2-3 years is about zero. Second, it's not that great of a job, it's right there with Auburn.

Bottom-line is that Tubby may not love everything about MN. But if he really wanted to leave just to get closer to family or to make is wife happy with better weather, he'd be gone already.

I don't doubt that you have some source telling you this and Souhan has some source telling him about Tubby's feelers. But let's be honest, clearly some of your sources are not up to par. I don't question that you believe what you've been told. But between you and Souhan it's hard not to simply tune out KSTP when it comes to college basketball. Jim basically said he hates college basketball on your show today, am I right? At least Reusse seems to have enough sense to stay out of the Gopher talk when he doens't know anything and focus on the Twins instead.

I hope you choose to listen, but that is your choice ... Souhan was not blown away by last night's game ... I like Jim a lot, but him and I disagree on that ... We had Phil Martelli on, who was great for other analysis ... I think if you give it a try, you'll come to believe it's the best local option.
Never once did I say that G. Tech would've offered him the job ... What I did say was: If they did, he would take it (trusting 2 people I talked to, I THINK it is FACT) ... you're right; they definitely could go young if Paul Hewitt ever leaves or is dismissed.

Now I threw a lot of crap your way Doogie, and for that I apologize ( sincerely ) but I'm reminded of the line in National Treasure, you know the one where Riley and the rest of the cast are in the boat and they're trying to figure out the riddle and one of the bad guys pipes up " iron pen " in reference to a prison or something and Riley responds " Albuquerque! " .. " snorkel!" " see, I can do that too"

Nothing but speculation on your part. :)

No disagreement on the Clemson stuff ... this morning, I prefaced each conversation by saying, "This is talk-radio fodder; this is pure speculation ... " On the Georgia Tech talk, from 2 people I trust that have given me good info. in the past, I think if Hewitt had left, and they had offered him the job, he would've taken it ... I want to believe badly that this is a destination job, and for someone it is (Tim Miles and others), but it's just not for Tubby.

March 2001 - S Car offered Tubby $2 million (per) on LT contract.

His UK contract was due to expire in 2002. UK AD Larry Ivy declined to offer an extension despite Tubby's record (110-33 in 4 years, NCAA title, 3 SEC and 3 SECT championships) because he was conspiring with Pitino to return to UK in 2001.

Tubby coached (assistant) for several years at South Carolina prior to UK assistant job.

No disagreement on the Clemson stuff ... this morning, I prefaced each conversation by saying, "This is talk-radio fodder; this is pure speculation ... " On the Georgia Tech talk, from 2 people I trust that have given me good info. in the past, I think if Hewitt had left, and they had offered him the job, he would've taken it ... I want to believe badly that this is a destination job, and for someone it is (Tim Miles and others), but it's just not for Tubby.

Your last 6 words are hogwash, balderdash, BS - choose your own word for #2.

want to believe badly that this is a destination job, and for someone it is (Tim Miles and others), but it's just not for Tubby.

I can appreciate that Doogie. Tubby's a great coach and we're lucky to have him here. Why do you think it's not a destination for Tubby? I would be curious to see your reasoning.

Doogie...it is very easy to guarantee something that didn't happen. "Smith to GT". Considering how some media folks had it on very good authority that Smith was "gone" to Oregon you can appreciate I am sure how hollow your guarantee is about Smith and GT.

Originally Posted by howeda7
But between you and Souhan it's hard not to simply tune out KSTP when it comes to college basketball. Jim basically said he hates college basketball on your show today, am I right?

Souhan has been saying for the last week how "unwatchable" college basketball is. He has turned very negative in his tone ever since KSTP has gone to 100% "sports talk". I expect that is calculated to create controversy and thus increase his audience. It is way to obvious and sudden a transformation.

Doogie, I normally enjoy your show, but this morning, you and your co-host were just talking absolute drivel. I'm glad you acknowledged that it was simple baseless speculation, but it's incredibly annoying to hear "the next job will be Tubby's last," or "Tubby will probably leave at some point," especially with no basis. Doogie, I was forced to turn on Morris's show. That's unacceptable. I actually listened to Chris Hawkey this morning. But you forced me into it, with the lame "why would Tubby want to coach little ol' us" nonsense. Also, if you could just talk to somebody about getting Shecky Souhan banned from the airwaves, that would be great. I'm easily able to avoid his worthless columns, but sometimes he springs up on 1500, and I'm unable to dodge. I've lost too many brain cells through accidental contact with Mr. Souhan. I'd appreciate either cutting him loose, or at the very least, coming up with some sort of Emergency Broadcast Signal type of warning. Thanks in advance, Your Friend, jmag21.

Ok Doogie, so your analysis is that Tubby just took the Minnesota job because he was living check to check and needed a gig until he found where he wanted to go (ie Georgia Tech or Maryland or Arizona or Auburn or Oregon or Florida or .. .. ), just something to keep the water and electricity on. If this isn't where he wanted to go, why didn't he just step down, take a tv analysis gig until his "destination" job opened up or since family is so important why not take a year with the family? Heck the way you guys think, it would have only taken him 10 seconds to find a better gig, because apparently every other job in America is a destination job except Minnesota. How much longer is Tubby going to coach? Probably not a long time so why would he "waste" his time at Minnesota if he didn't want to be here? Tubby doesn't want to keep rebuilding programs, so why even come to Minnesota if it sucks?

The problem with all these media types' analysis is that it starts from the logic of "Minnesota sucks" therefore Tubby can't want to be there, in this light you can rationalize Tubby moving to anywhere and this is exactly what is going on (Arizona, Auburn, Oregon, Florida, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Virginia. . . .). Yet everytime one of these fools "knows" they end up looking like idiots, but does that stop them?. . .. . NO. Why? It's because they still believe the "Minnesot sucks" therefore Tubby will take the Alabama job or Texas AM or Utah or. . . .. never bothering with coming up with facts.

At some point you would think you guys would have some shame, but they don't, they keep throwing crap and then get offended when everybody thinks their morons. The only people impressed with these media morons, is themselves.

I can't say I've ever listened to Doogie's show but what I'd really appreciate Doogie, as you can see I think most folks, especially here, are rather tired of the Tubby anywhere else but here speculation-

Do you have any news on Cory Joseph, Maurice Walker, Royce White, any other recruits we may have visiting or otherwise good news about the Gophers?

With a few exceptions, sports talk radio anywhere in this country is pretty much babbling baboons with the benefit of a microphone. Like reality TV, it's played a large part in the dumming down of America.

At some point you would think you guys would have some shame, but they don't, they keep throwing crap and then get offended when everybody thinks their morons. The only people impressed with these media morons, is themselves.

So much truth in one statement, especially the last sentence. The profession is filled with hyper-sensitive folks that will eat their own children before they admit they're wrong. It's truly inbred, where they've formed some sort of brotherhood to protect their own at all costs. Anytime the light is reversed back at them, they all go into this ugly take-no-prisoners mode.

Your last 6 words are hogwash, balderdash, BS - choose your own word for #2.

Friend of Tubby ... we've gone back-and-forth on this enough ... your moniker makes no sense, so how would you know?

I can't say I've ever listened to Doogie's show but what I'd really appreciate Doogie, as you can see I think most folks, especially here, are rather tired of the Tubby anywhere else but here speculation-

Do you have any news on Cory Joseph, Maurice Walker, Royce White, any other recruits we may have visiting or otherwise good news about the Gophers?

Tubby has planned visits with recruits coming up, so he is acting like a coach that isn't going anywhere ... on the recruiting, I defer to my friend, Ryan James, as he has the solid contacts ... I do know that Texas people are confident that with Cory's good friend going there, that they will land him ... saw him on TV 3 times last week ... love his game.

Doogie, I normally enjoy your show, but this morning, you and your co-host were just talking absolute drivel. I'm glad you acknowledged that it was simple baseless speculation, but it's incredibly annoying to hear "the next job will be Tubby's last," or "Tubby will probably leave at some point," especially with no basis. Doogie, I was forced to turn on Morris's show. That's unacceptable. I actually listened to Chris Hawkey this morning. But you forced me into it, with the lame "why would Tubby want to coach little ol' us" nonsense. Also, if you could just talk to somebody about getting Shecky Souhan banned from the airwaves, that would be great. I'm easily able to avoid his worthless columns, but sometimes he springs up on 1500, and I'm unable to dodge. I've lost too many brain cells through accidental contact with Mr. Souhan. I'd appreciate either cutting him loose, or at the very least, coming up with some sort of Emergency Broadcast Signal type of warning. Thanks in advance, Your Friend, jmag21.

JMag21 -- Thanks for listening most days ... never once did I say, "Why would Tubby want to coach little 'ol us." ... we debated where this job ranks in the Big Ten ... we came to the conclusion that Mich. St., Ill., Indiana, Ohio State, and Wisconsin were better ... and decided if it is the 6th or 7th best job in the Big Ten, it is comparable to Clemson, which is the 6th or 7th best job in the ACC.
Jim is a friend, so you won't get me to bash him ... I think he's great on baseball.

on the recruiting, I defer to my friend, Ryan James, as he has the solid contacts ... I do know that Texas people are confident that with Cory's good friend going there, that they will land him ... saw him on TV 3 times last week ... love his game.

Good news Doogie. Good news. Where's the optimism? :p

Ok Doogie, so your analysis is that Tubby just took the Minnesota job because he was living check to check and needed a gig until he found where he wanted to go (ie Georgia Tech or Maryland or Arizona or Auburn or Oregon or Florida or .. .. ), just something to keep the water and electricity on. If this isn't where he wanted to go, why didn't he just step down, take a tv analysis gig until his "destination" job opened up or since family is so important why not take a year with the family? Heck the way you guys think, it would have only taken him 10 seconds to find a better gig, because apparently every other job in America is a destination job except Minnesota. How much longer is Tubby going to coach? Probably not a long time so why would he "waste" his time at Minnesota if he didn't want to be here? Tubby doesn't want to keep rebuilding programs, so why even come to Minnesota if it sucks?

The problem with all these media types' analysis is that it starts from the logic of "Minnesota sucks" therefore Tubby can't want to be there, in this light you can rationalize Tubby moving to anywhere and this is exactly what is going on (Arizona, Auburn, Oregon, Florida, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Virginia. . . .). Yet everytime one of these fools "knows" they end up looking like idiots, but does that stop them?. . .. . NO. Why? It's because they still believe the "Minnesot sucks" therefore Tubby will take the Alabama job or Texas AM or Utah or. . . .. never bothering with coming up with facts.

Minnesota is special ... I think my alma mater is one of the great jobs in the country, but most are not in agreement ... I also think you can win here at a high level, but outside of the cheating year, it's been a long time since someone has ... Tubby's track record, like Purnell's, is to jump around and leave a program in better shape than when he took it over ... I also would not discount the family angle and his feelings after his father passed away, and how he wasn't near any of his siblings.

Two "sources" of yours are speculating that he would leave if offered a job closer to home so you are convinced he will leave in the next year? Stating that he would have left for the Georgia Tech job as a fact is just BS, you and your source's speculation is no different than any other average rube connected with the program who have stated differently. At least we now know for sure who Souhan's "source" is.

LOL

I am LOL because after reading through this thread I had forgottten it had started out about Purnell going to DePaul !!!

:)

Top Bottom