Heard on ESPN that Butler players are actually attending class today

I'm surprised Dick Vitale hasn't gone on air yet to convince us Duke's players are in class today as well. If us common simpletons were to believe Dukie V, Duke is the only school in America where players actually attend class.

This is a championship game between legit student athletes. An accomplishment to be celebrated.

This is a championship game between legit student athletes. An accomplishment to be celebrated.

Agreed. If they are attending class - it's a great move. It is otherwise a long day of waiting and going through a routine (albeit an unusual one with all the student adulation) will help shorten the day and take the edge off.

Agreed. If they are attending class - it's a great move. It is otherwise a long day of waiting and going through a routine (albeit an unusual one with all the student adulation) will help shorten the day and take the edge off.

Rarely does a team play the NC game about 6 miles from its campus.

Both Duke and Butler will have a lineup (and bench) of STUDENT-athletes tonight.

Rarely does a team play the NC game about 6 miles from its campus.

Both Duke and Butler will have a lineup (and bench) of STUDENT-athletes tonight.

I am not a Duke fan, but I can't complain if either team wins. Two well ran programs with actual student athletes. Nice to see students that will get degrees and actually "go pro in something other than sports."

I am not a Duke fan, but I can't complain if either team wins. Two well ran programs with actual student athletes. Nice to see students that will get degrees and actually "go pro in something other than sports."

I think every Gopher senior in 2008 and 2009 had already earned a degree from Minnesota.

All will go pro in something other than basketball. Then again, none played in NC game.

I think every Gopher senior in 2008 and 2009 had already earned a degree from Minnesota.

All will go pro in something other than basketball. Then again, none played in NC game.

I think both Westbrook & DJ will be playing basketball professionally. Just not in the US.

Did KP graduate? He disappeared from Minnesota pretty quickly after last season.

I think going to class would be a good thing. Gets your mind off the game a little, or at least distracts you a bit. I can't imagine sitting around all day waiting for the biggest game of you life. Would drive me crazy.

I can't speak for Butler but I laughed at this. Do you know how many infractions cases the NCAA has flat out buried to protect K and Duke? One of the phoniest programs and coaches in basketball.

I can't speak for Butler but I laughed at this. Do you know how many infractions cases the NCAA has flat out buried to protect K and Duke? One of the phoniest programs and coaches in basketball.

The Corey Maggette thing still ticks me off. What a joke.

That's what a hater says. It can't be Maggette because the NCAA vetted that and no connection to Duke was ever made, even by independent investigators like Yahoo, etc. It can't be Duhon's Mom's job because she was qualified for the position and it was outside Duke University. So what exactly are they protecting? Duke hasn't had a single violation. Not one. For 30 years under Coach K, that's impressive. Trust me when I tell you that there's a LARGE segment of the media that would love to bury him and have spent years trying to dig stuff up. No coach is under more scrutinity that Coach K. The papers, radio, and TV stations in his own town are run exclusively by UNC or NC St fans and they hate the guy. WRAL and the Herald Sun have tried for years to ding his image and if there were some scandel or major violation out there, they would be singing from the hilltops. The resident writers at some major national outlets have tried as well and nothing can stick. You know why nothing sticks? Because there's nothing to stick.

Hate away and make wild accusations that just aren't true to prove your hatred. Just because the you think the NCAA has conspired to protect Duke (which makes you a lunatic, btw) doesn't mean it's true. There's absolutely no way something like that would stay quite with how many people want to see Duke fail. The percentage of people that hate Duke in the general public is equal to that in the media. Just because Kentucky is the Al Capone of College Basketball doesn't mean others are on the same level. Remember that.

One more time - Duke: '10 National Champions.

Unlike Kentucky, which if they ever win one under Slick Cal, Duke will get to keep the title forever. It's not a temporary thing. I know that might be tough for you to understand but titles don't have to be given back to the NCAA.

I'm not taking anything away from Duke other than the fact their entire image is a blatant falsehood and they're very much protected by the NCAA. In much the same way Wooden was in fact.

I have nothing but respect for K's coaching abilities and he's one of the greatest basketball minds of his generation. I think he surpasses his mentor Knight in that regard based upon the fact he's far more flexible within his approach than Knight ever was. But that doesn't mean he's not a phony and the Duke basketball program is just as guilty of the same "sins" as pretty much every other basketball power in the country.

It's hogwash to claim otherwise. Sorry to burst your bubble.

the Duke basketball program is just as guilty of the same "sins" as pretty much every other basketball power in the country.

It's hogwash to claim otherwise. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Do you have factual evidence for this? Or is it conjecture?

That's what a hater says. It can't be Maggette because the NCAA vetted that and no connection to Duke was ever made, even by independent investigators like Yahoo, etc. It can't be Duhon's Mom's job because she was qualified for the position and it was outside Duke University. So what exactly are they protecting? Duke hasn't had a single violation. Not one. For 30 years under Coach K, that's impressive. Trust me when I tell you that there's a LARGE segment of the media that would love to bury him and have spent years trying to dig stuff up. No coach is under more scrutinity that Coach K. The papers, radio, and TV stations in his own town are run exclusively by UNC or NC St fans and they hate the guy. WRAL and the Herald Sun have tried for years to ding his image and if there were some scandel or major violation out there, they would be singing from the hilltops. The resident writers at some major national outlets have tried as well and nothing can stick. You know why nothing sticks? Because there's nothing to stick.

Hate away and make wild accusations that just aren't true to prove your hatred. Just because the you think the NCAA has conspired to protect Duke (which makes you a lunatic, btw) doesn't mean it's true. There's absolutely no way something like that would stay quite with how many people want to see Duke fail. The percentage of people that hate Duke in the general public is equal to that in the media. Just because Kentucky is the Al Capone of College Basketball doesn't mean others are on the same level. Remember that.

One more time - Duke: '10 National Champions.

Unlike Kentucky, which if they ever win one under Slick Cal, Duke will get to keep the title forever. It's not a temporary thing. I know that might be tough for you to understand but titles don't have to be given back to the NCAA.

Kentcuky cheated in late 40's and early 50's (proof = 1953 NCAA Death Penalty) but kept all 3 NCAA titles won in that timeframe.

Where is your disgust with NCAA on that?

That's what a hater says. It can't be Maggette because the NCAA vetted that and no connection to Duke was ever made, even by independent investigators like Yahoo, etc.

Maggette accepted money from his AAU coach, which means he is not an amateur anymore. Duke didn't know this, but it doesn't matter. By rule, Maggette was an ineligible player the entire season and Duke should have had their Championship appearance stripped. It doesn't matter if Duke didn't know about it. Maggette signed a waiver that all NCAA athletes sign, indicating that they have not received any payments to participate in their sport.

And are you sure the NCAA ever came out with an official statement? I may be wrong, but I don't remember ever hearing an official statement from them. Here's an article from 2004 about it by Wetzel at yahoo: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=dw-ncaafavorites

Top Bottom