Any knowledge in Mychael Henry?

BigGopherFan

Banned
Reaction score
According to Scout, the Gophers are recruiting junior Mychael Henry, a 6-6 shooting guard from Chicago. It doesn't look like he's been evaluated by the online databases with just a one star rating, but he has great size for a guard apparently. His scholarship offer list is all over the place: Wisconsin, Fairfield, Loyola-Chicago and St. Louis. I don't know, guys like this scare me. No rating and a huge dip between two best offers. We'll see though...

Henry is the type of player I like.. athletic, long wing.. may very well wind up being one of the top 5 guys out of Illinois in 2011. The buzz continues to grow with him... Marquette actually offered him this past Wednesday. Don't worry about some list on Scout and if they are showing him with one-star, it's only because they haven't updated for a long time - that's not going to stick... big time schools that have offered now include Wisconsin, Baylor, Illinois and Marquette - and that list will continue to grow. A couple of years ago you might have said, 'well, he might* turn into a high major guy'... now you say, 'he is a high major guy'.

Had a great year at Orr this year and is now with his Rising Stars AAU team (playing in the Swish N Dish in Wisconsin this weekend). His stock has risen a lot over this year and I expect it will continue to rise and he'll see many more offers... VERY good player. With his extension and release, the ball is about 20 feet high when he shoots a jumper...

From Minnesota's perspective, I think it would be a significant challenge to get him.

Mycheal Henry Highlights

Just watched some his highlights. . .wow. I love the kid's jump shot, super high release, and he's got some up's. I think his game translates well to the next level, he's going to be a big time get for somebody.

If lakesbison has his way, this guy will commit to NDSU and help the Jackrabbits become National Champions in 2013. :)

Henry is the type of player I like.. athletic, long wing.. may very well wind up being one of the top 5 guys out of Illinois in 2011. The buzz continues to grow with him... Marquette actually offered him this past Wednesday. Don't worry about some list on Scout and if they are showing him with one-star, it's only because they haven't updated for a long time - that's not going to stick... big time schools that have offered now include Wisconsin, Baylor, Illinois and Marquette - and that list will continue to grow. A couple of years ago you might have said, 'well, he might* turn into a high major guy'... now you say, 'he is a high major guy'.

Had a great year at Orr this year and is now with his Rising Stars AAU team (playing in the Swish N Dish in Wisconsin this weekend). His stock has risen a lot over this year and I expect it will continue to rise and he'll see many more offers... VERY good player. With his extension and release, the ball is about 20 feet high when he shoots a jumper...

Mycheal Henry Highlights

From Minnesota's perspective, I think it would be a significant challenge to get him.

Curious to hear why you think it would be a significant challenge for Minnesota to get him? Unless he wants to stay home witht the Illini, I certainly don't see anyone we can't recruit against on that list.

According to Scout, the Gophers are recruiting junior Mychael Henry, a 6-6 shooting guard from Chicago. It doesn't look like he's been evaluated by the online databases with just a one star rating, but he has great size for a guard apparently. His scholarship offer list is all over the place: Wisconsin, Fairfield, Loyola-Chicago and St. Louis. I don't know, guys like this scare me. No rating and a huge dip between two best offers. We'll see though...

I'm sure there might be some knowledge in this kid, but maybe next time you should get off your failboat and not title threads like a Kentucky basketball player.

Curious to hear why you think it would be a significant challenge for Minnesota to get him? Unless he wants to stay home witht the Illini, I certainly don't see anyone we can't recruit against on that list.

We haven't exactly been winning any recruiting battles for high profile players out of the state since Tubby announced his first class.

Not going to get into specifics on this particular kid, but I will point out that, besides proximity to home of all but Baylor, the other schools have done something already that Minnesota has not - offered. Illinois has had incredible talent for years... how much of it has come to the U?

We haven't exactly been winning any recruiting battles for high profile players out of the state since Tubby announced his first class.

Tubby was able to land a great 2nd class filled with in state guys, so really your point is he has not won any recruiting battles for high profile out of state players this year? I don't get the negativity around Tubby's recruiting, he's brought in two highly regarded classes and this year he still could land Cory Joseph. I do feel like we are behind a number of other Big Ten teams in recruiting for future years (ex many schools have highly rated guys committed for 2011).

As for Gopher Warriors point about how much talent has come to Minnesota from Illinois in recent years, we had Dan Monson as coach. We could have had Darius Smith last year, but Tubby took Justin Cobbs instead of waiting.

Tubby was able to land a great 2nd class filled with in state guys, so really your point is he has not won any recruiting battles for high profile out of state players this year? I don't get the negativity around Tubby's recruiting, he's brought in two highly regarded classes and this year he still could land Cory Joseph. I do feel like we are behind a number of other Big Ten teams in recruiting for future years (ex many schools have highly rated guys committed for 2011).

As for Gopher Warriors point about how much talent has come to Minnesota from Illinois in recent years, we had Dan Monson as coach. We could have had Darius Smith last year, but Tubby took Justin Cobbs instead of waiting.

I think JackiO's point and mine was that we haven't gotten much from the state of Illinois, based on your comments in a thread about Mycheal Henry. Now, if either JackiO or I had started a post about 'hey let's talk about Minnesota's inability to bring in kids from Illinois' then you might have a point... you're getting defensive about things that weren't said.

You can make excuses for former coaches, or dream up things about former recruits that have no relation to reality, but two things hold true - 1) Minnesota hasn't done well in getting top Illinois talent to the Twin Cities and 2) Mycheal Henry is a very good prospect.

PS - Henry was playing for Mac Irvin Fire, along with the buddies Mike Shaw and Wayne Blackshear this weekend...

Not getting defensive about anything, it's well known that Darius Smith wanted to come to Minnesota, the quote has been posted on this message board multiple times. I just asked a question and you couldn't really provide an answer for why you thought the Gophers were not in it for this particular player.

Not getting defensive about anything, it's well known that Darius Smith wanted to come to Minnesota, the quote has been posted on this message board multiple times. I just asked a question and you couldn't really provide an answer for why you thought the Gophers were not in it for this particular player.

I only joined this message board in December and do not know about what quote you're speaking of (I suspect it's him saying 'oh MN is where I wanted to be but they got another guard'), but regardless Smith thought he was better than Minnesota and that's why it didn't happen. I said the Gophers getting Henry would entail significant challenges. That is very true. I could provide more detail on a lot of things, but will not.

Understand it's not a knock on Tubby or the Minnesota program, I am just saying that Mycheal Henry to the Gophers would be tough to make happen.

Tubby was able to land a great 2nd class filled with in state guys, so really your point is he has not won any recruiting battles for high profile out of state players this year?

Regarding his second class, Tubby didn't offer Mbakwe until fall of '08. Tubby' wasn't exactly faring well with his recruitment of bigs before that.

Regarding his second class, Tubby didn't offer Mbakwe until fall of '08. Tubby' wasn't exactly faring well with his recruitment of bigs before that.

Mbakwe is 6-8 PF. Tubby already had commitment from Royce White (also 6-8 PF).

He signed 6-11 Ralph Sampson and 6-11 Colton Iverson the year before.

You're wrong AGAIN.

Mbakwe is 6-8 PF. Tubby already had commitment from Royce White (also 6-8 PF).

He signed 6-11 Ralph Sampson and 6-11 Colton Iverson the year before.

You're wrong AGAIN.

*sigh*

Tubby wanted to land Royce White. Tubby wanted to land Rodney Williams. Tubby then wanted a big to fill that third scholarship in the 2009 class. Before Mbakwe came along, Tubby was having a hard time.

*sigh*

Tubby wanted to land Royce White. Tubby wanted to land Rodney Williams. Tubby then wanted a big to fill that third scholarship in the 2009 class. Before Mbakwe came along, Tubby was having a hard time.

There WERE only 3 scholarships in 2009 class - White, Williams, Cobbs got them.

The 4th scholarship was "created" for Mbakwe when Busch and Payton scholarships were not renewed.

I think JackiO's point and mine was that we haven't gotten much from the state of Illinois, based on your comments in a thread about Mycheal Henry. Now, if either JackiO or I had started a post about 'hey let's talk about Minnesota's inability to bring in kids from Illinois' then you might have a point... you're getting defensive about things that weren't said.

You can make excuses for former coaches, or dream up things about former recruits that have no relation to reality, but two things hold true - 1) Minnesota hasn't done well in getting top Illinois talent to the Twin Cities and 2) Mycheal Henry is a very good prospect.

PS - Henry was playing for Mac Irvin Fire, along with the buddies Mike Shaw and Wayne Blackshear this weekend...

What number was he?

There WERE only 3 scholarships in 2009 class - White, Williams, Cobbs got them.

Oops, forgot about Cobbs. Okay, Tubby wanted Williams, White, a PG, and another big then.

The 4th scholarship was "created" for Mbakwe when Busch and Payton scholarships were not renewed.

No, Tubby knew long before he offered Mbakwe that he was going to use that scholarship.

Weber got the commit... Mychael Henry to Illinois.

All Weber has to do is step outside his door to recruit. With all the talent in that Chicago area, he has it made. Is it true that Wisconsin was in on Henry till the end? If so I'm glad he stayed "home".

All Weber has to do is step outside his door to recruit. With all the talent in that Chicago area, he has it made. Is it true that Wisconsin was in on Henry till the end? If so I'm glad he stayed "home".

Henry's final 3 were Illinois, Wisconsin and Georgetown, likely in that order. I think UW had a shot, as they were the first to offer and Henry said that meant something to him. But Illinois really has their recruiting rolling and should be at or near the top of the conference for the foreseeable future, which was obviously too tough to turn down. Henry sounds like a really good one.

But Illinois really has their recruiting rolling and should be at or near the top of the conference for the foreseeable future.

As I understand Webber is a patron of William Wesley.

Would have probably been a great Badger under Bo's tutelage. Hey UWole, what about Evan Anderson?

Would have probably been a great Badger under Bo's tutelage. Hey UWole, what about Evan Anderson?

Evan is one of the four signed kids in UW's 2010 class. I have seen him a number of times, and I have not been terribly impressed. He is certainly big, and I've heard he's a good kid who works hard, so I am not willing to write him off. That said, he has a ways to go, and will likely not be a contributor for at least a couple years.

Bo Ryan is really struggling on the recruiting trail. He used to get solid 4* recruits, and he's not getting them lately - the last one he got in that category was Leuer. The best he's getting anymore are high 3* recruits. I think we've seen the high water mark of the Bo Ryan era at Wisconsin - he's going to have to unearth some gems to turn things around. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan's tenure at UW parallel that of Dr. Tom Davis at Iowa.

No doubt you need the horses to win, just coaching isn't going to get it done. Thank goodness Matta can recruit. (just messin' with you)

Top Bottom