Anyone else catch West Virginia's Press conference?

thebarnsback

Reaction score
Yesterday on the Big Ten Network, they had all four teams in their Final Four press conferences.

As I expected, Michigan State would be disciplined and they would answer the questions as best they could. It was Green, Lucious, Morgan, and Summers. Also, Izzo had a good interview, as always. The players were very respectful and I thought they represented their university well.

On the other hand, West Virginia's players acted like a bunch of pricks. They laughed at inbetween questions, during questions, after questions. They barely listened to what the reporters were saying. I heard swearing numerous times. They whispered non stop. The low level of respect stuck out like a sore thumb. On one occasion Joe Mazzula was mocking a reporter because his question was so long. You could hear through the microphone him mocking this reporter. The five that were up their were Butler, Jones, Muzzula, Smith, and one other who's name escapes me. Huggins had his classic monotone interview and he didn't answer any of the questions thoroughly, but what can you expect?

Anyway, I just thought it was "interesting" to see. It kind of surprised me, you would think if a team made the Final Four like that, they would be honored to be in a pressy like that.

I dont know, maybe I am reading too much into this. I just thought that the Spartan and Duke players acted 100 times more respectful than WVU. I guess it is not too surprising, just look at their coach.

haha you know those boys arent going to be graduating with huggins academic standards plus WV isnt necessarily an academic school, I think Kentucky would have even looked better than them. I've heard Mazzula is kind of a prick who thinks he is funnier than he is though. I hate Duke, but theyre classy and Michigan state never hurts the big ten's rep so thats good.

Yesterday on the Big Ten Network, they had all four teams in their Final Four press conferences.

As I expected, Michigan State would be disciplined and they would answer the questions as best they could. It was Green, Lucious, Morgan, and Summers. Also, Izzo had a good interview, as always. The players were very respectful and I thought they represented their university well.

On the other hand, West Virginia's players acted like a bunch of pricks. They laughed at inbetween questions, during questions, after questions. They barely listened to what the reporters were saying. I heard swearing numerous times. They whispered non stop. The low level of respect stuck out like a sore thumb. On one occasion Joe Mazzula was mocking a reporter because his question was so long. You could hear through the microphone him mocking this reporter. The five that were up their were Butler, Jones, Muzzula, Smith, and one other who's name escapes me. Huggins had his classic monotone interview and he didn't answer any of the questions thoroughly, but what can you expect?

Anyway, I just thought it was "interesting" to see. It kind of surprised me, you would think if a team made the Final Four like that, they would be honored to be in a pressy like that.

I dont know, maybe I am reading too much into this. I just thought that the Spartan and Duke players acted 100 times more respectful than WVU. I guess it is not too surprising, just look at their coach.

If your assessment is correct, and I don't have reason to say otherwise, then "Thank you" to Tom Izzo for making certain that he and his players properly represent their school and conference.

Regarding the long-winded reporter: Even though I don't condone that player's public display of disrespect, I admit it's tough sometimes to listen to "interview" questions that morph into speeches. Why can't 21st Century interviewers (of every stripe) ask a simple question and listen to the answer without providing 1) an extensive background evidently designed to show the subject how well-informed the reporter is or 2) their own opinion that is at some point worked into the question in such a way that the subject must either agree or disagree with the reporter?

If your assessment is correct, and I don't have reason to say otherwise, then "Thank you" to Tom Izzo for making certain that he and his players properly represent their school and conference.

Regarding the long-winded reporter: Even though I don't condone that player's public display of disrespect, I admit it's tough sometimes to listen to "interview" questions that morph into speeches. Why can't 21st Century interviewers (of every stripe) ask a simple question and listen to the answer without providing 1) an extensive background evidently designed to show the subject how well-informed the reporter is or 2) their own opinion that is at some point worked into the question in such a way that the subject must either agree or disagree with the reporter?

I completely agree. Just that fact that Mazzula had to verbally make fun of the guy was very disrespectful. If you've been given the benefits like these kids have over the years, I think it is constituted that they at least show some respect. They owe it. If someone did that 20 years ago it would have been a much bigger deal.

Just as long as they beat Duke tonight so I can win 2 of my pools, thats all I ask....

I saw it and noticed the same thing. It wasn't an impressive display by the West Virginia players (I thought Ebanks was the fifth guy, but not sure).

I'm pretty sure it was Butler, not Mazzulla, who asked about the long question by the reporter. He said something like, "Can you repeat that? That was like a five part question. I got a couple of them, but not all of them."

Mazzulla was the only one that seemed to be showing any sort of respect. The rest came across like smartass 16 year olds.

haha you know those boys arent going to be graduating with huggins academic standards plus WV isnt necessarily an academic school, I think Kentucky would have even looked better than them. I've heard Mazzula is kind of a prick who thinks he is funnier than he is though. I hate Duke, but theyre classy and Michigan state never hurts the big ten's rep so thats good.

Another stupid Huggins comment that is false.

He graduated 92% of his players at Akron and Walsh, about 40% at Cincinnati, and now 100% of the seniors at K-St (2007) and WVU (2008 and 2009). All 2010 seniors at WVU will graduate this spring or summer.

He graduated 92% of his players at Akron and Walsh, about 40% at Cincinnati, and now 100% of the seniors at K-St (2007) and WVU (2008 and 2009). All 2010 seniors at WVU will graduate this spring or summer.

Not sure how we can look at K-State's graduation rate or give him credit or blame.

According to this article, 28% graduation rate at Cincinnati, with 4 classes that did not graduate anyone.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/cbrown/stories/010807dnspobrown.32407af.html

FOT~
The Cincy years will be a black mark on his record he won't shake. My wife was teaching at UC while Huggins was there. One of his kids cut classes and never turned in homework for her class. She tried to give him a way out by offering to tutor him outside of class and give him the chance to turn in assigments for partial credit which would have allowed him to pass. He blew her off and ended up failing. Huggins showed up during her office hours and demanded she change the grade. When she refused he went to her dept chair and tried to strongarm a grade change. The chair refused as well. UC profs don't have fond memories of his time there. He may have changed. If yes, that's great. But fair or not, UC is what he will always be famous for and there are good reasons for that. He was no choir boy.

Not sure how we can look at K-State's graduation rate or give him credit or blame.

According to this article, 28% graduation rate at Cincinnati, with 4 classes that did not graduate anyone.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/cbrown/stories/010807dnspobrown.32407af.html

One thing is certain....FOT loves to quote statistics. Most go unquestioned.

As Andrew Lang once stated: "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lampposts—for support rather than for illumination."

Huggins has only been at West Virginia for three years, meaning that unless he recruited some of the Mountaineers' seniors as junior college players, he had no role in bringing them to the school. People can try to dress up Huggins any way they want, but his academic record at Cincinnati was deplorable. Whether or not that can be laid entirely at his feet is a question worth debating, but I don't think anyone can persuasively contend that Huggins is a coach who is truly concerned about the academic performance of his players.

The image of Huggins sitting with the national basketball student/athlete award on Saturday will be burned into my mind forever as an all-time ironic moment.

Top Bottom