Shabazz Napier PG Commits to UCONN

Section201

Reaction score
A comment by Gopher Warrior in his ESPN Rise Tourney thread regarding Shabazz, http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=16747

"BTW, Shabazz Napier just gave a verbal to UCONN. He's a stud 2011 point guard.. that means both Texas (Kabongo) and UCONN now have stud point guards planning to come in for the 2011-12 season... "

got me to wondering what it is with the fluidity of the 2010 PG recruiting.

I found this link about Shabazz Napier's oral commitment to UCONN and in it is it says he is in the process of trying to get into the class of 2010 instead of 2011. That could have implications for Cory.

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_mens_basketball/2010/04/lawrence-academy-coach-kevin-w.html

"Napier made an oral commitment to attend UConn Friday, hoping to bring that winning combination to Storrs. Just as it has become clear Kemba Walker would, indeed, return for his junior season, maybe UConn has found his successor.

Napier, originally from the Charlestown section of Boston, repeated a year and has spent the last two years at Lawrence, in Groton. But now he's in the process of reclassifying again. He was listed as a junior this past season but is expected to be the fifth member of UConn's 2010 recruiting class."

The story also has this tidbit, "Just as it has become clear Kemba Walker would, indeed, return for his junior season, maybe UConn has found his successor."

Texas, another rival for Cory has it's currently returning PG Avery Bradley, another Findlay alumni and Kabonga set to arrive in 2011. Avery might jump to the NBA and perhaps that is but one of the intangibles Cory is waiting for.

Nova on the other hand loses Scottie Reynolds but still has experienced Stokes, Fisher, and Wayns in the backcourt. Wayns was the #4 PG of the 2009 class per Scout. http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=9&c=8&cfg=bb&toinid=385&sspid=-1&yr=2009

Nova does seem to run a lot of guards.

The undecided point guards of interest in the 2010 class are Cory, McCallum, Knight, and Selby. Between the looming NBA draft and all the undecided point guards the coming signing period should be pretty interesting!

We should setup a contest ... as to where each guy goes of the top 4 uncommitted PGs. I doubt I'd get more than 1 correct, at best.

It's all intriguing yet at the same time scary, numbing, etc. Not only do you have guys declaring for the draft... the coaching carousel... transfers... but you also have 'reclassifications'.. I think Napier might be a question mark for several weeks or much longer re: 2010 or 2011.. and the UCONN fanbase is probably thinking, 'ohmygosh! this is good.. but.. what if it means no Brandon.. or no Cory.. no Josh...'.

What will 2010 classes look like? Still many questions... not to mention the hints at fun drama we may see in the 2011 class already (see Austin Rivers)... much more interesting than free agency in major professional sports, to me.

Looking forward to a great Montverde/Findlay rematch tomorrow... PS - congrats to Marquette senior Lazar Hayward on a nice outing at the 'all star game' today!!! Hope he's playing with the Wolves or Jazz next year... PPS - Jazz/Lakers tonight.. Marquette's Wesley Matthews showing that undrafted rookies can start for and help a top team in their drive to be the best.

If the Wolves hang on to the pick, I'd love for them to take Hayward with the Utah pick or even better if heslips to the beginning of the 2nd round. I think he will be a very solid NBA player for any team lucky to get him.

Thanks for the info. Good news for us (moreso the Kemba Walker part).

Top Bottom