2010 In-Season Tournaments

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
TJ or any Indiana, Northwestern, Ohio State or Purdue fans who know of their school's tournament plans for 2010-11, please drop a line here. Thanks in advance. Also looking for Las Vegas Classic, South Padre Island and the remainder of NIT Season Tip-Off participants.

I'd give the early edge to the Old Spice Classic as top-to-bottom the best 8-team field, CBE Classic easily has the best 4-team field.

Charleston Classic (5 teams TBD)
Charlotte, East Carolina, NC State

Coaches vs. Cancer Classic
Illinois, Maryland (NCAA), Pitt (NCAA), Texas (NCAA)

CBE Classic
Duke (NCAA), Gonzaga (NCAA), Kansas State (NCAA), Marquette (NCAA)

Golden Bear Classic (2 teams TBD)
Cal (NCAA), Southern Miss

Las Vegas Invitational
Arizona, Kansas (NCAA), Ohio (NCAA), Santa Clara

Legends Classic
Georgia Tech (NCAA), Michigan, Syracuse (NCAA), UTEP (NCAA)

Maui Invitational
Chaminade, Connecticut, Kentucky (NCAA), Michigan State (NCAA), Oklahoma, Virginia, Washington (NCAA), Wichita State

NIT Season Tip-Off (12 teams TBD)
Boston U, George Washington, Marist, Villanova (NCAA)

Old Spice Classic
Boston College, Cal (NCAA), Georgia, Manhattan, Notre Dame (NCAA), Temple (NCAA), Texas A&M (NCAA), Wisconsin (NCAA)

Paradise Jam
Alabama, Clemson (NCAA), Iowa, Long Beach State, Old Dominion (NCAA), St. Peter’s, Seton Hall, Xavier (NCAA)

Puerto Rico Tip-Off
Davidson, GOPHERS (NCAA), Hofstra, Nebraska, North Carolina, Vanderbilt (NCAA), West Virginia (NCAA), Western Kentucky

76 Classic
Cal State Northridge, DePaul, Oklahoma State (NCAA), Penn State, Stanford, Tulsa, UNLV (NCAA), Virginia Tech

SS,
What is the rule now for how many of these tournaments you can play in consecutive years? Or has that rule been changed to allow teams to play in these every year now?

SS,
What is the rule now for how many of these tournaments you can play in consecutive years? Or has that rule been changed to allow teams to play in these every year now?

I think there are no longer restrictions on these things. That's why they have exploded and the Alaska tournaments are all but dead.

What are the dates of the Peurtico tourney?

You can play in 'em every year now. But there is a rule that you can't play in the same tournament for a certain amount of years. I'm guessing it's 5 years (TJ probably knows the answer to this) because I think we're scheduled for the Old Spice in 2011 & we played in that in 2006 (Monson's Waterloo just prior to the Clemson debacle).

SS, I just looked up the NCAA bylaws, and it appears the limit for one school with one tourney is participating once every 4 years.
17.3.5.1.1 Qualifying Regular-Season Multiple-Team Event. A qualifying regular-season multiple-team event is one in which: (Revised: 4/27/06 effective 8/1/06; contracts signed before 1/8/06 for events scheduled to occur prior to the second Friday in November may be honored)
(c) Participation is limited, by conference, to one team per conference and, by institution, to not more than once in the same event in any four-year period;

So that rules OSU out of playing in the NIT season tip-off since they played in it in 2007-08. However, Indiana last played in it in the '06-07 season, meaning they are eligible to play in it again this year and I vaguely remember seeing Andy Katz or someone say IU is going to be in some big tournament so my hypothesis is that the Hoosiers are in the NIT season tip-off. I have no idea what OSU will do - Matta has gravitated towards tournaments that allow him to have two home games and then play two more games at a neutral site - I don't know if any of those tourneys are left out there. I do know that, as of late November, OSU was planning on participating in the ESPN season-opening marathon next year by playing at Florida as part of a home & home series, but it hasn't been made official. Otherwise, I have no idea what they're doing with the schedule next year.

Thanks for the update OSUfan.

I'm guessing while the Buckeyes are playing Florida on the opening weekend, the Gophers will have a real barnburner lined up the likes of Utah Valley, Brown or Tennessee Tech. Our first big step to the Field of 96!!!

I would love to play and beat North Carolina in this tournament.

Maui

Does anyone know if/when we're scheduled for the Maui Invitational? I think someone mentioned it a while ago, but I could not find anything official.

Does anyone know if/when we're scheduled for the Maui Invitational? I think someone mentioned it a while ago, but I could not find anything official.

Gophers go to Maui in 2013.

SS -

In your Big Ten/ACC Challenge thread from a week or so ago, I posted some of those teams' preseason tourney destinations to show they could not be matchups in the Challenge (i.e. UNC and MN cannot play in the Challenge, etc). But, like you, I could not find Northwestern, IU, PU, and OSU. No idea. Sorry.

Top Bottom