UNC Wilmington offers job to Citadel HC over Gophers' Vince Taylor

I must admit I have mixed feelings about this. I like the fact that Vince is getting play for certain jobs around the country and I feel bad for him that he hasn't been offered the job. However, I must also say that I would be pretty bummed about losing him if/when he goes.

Always a precarious moment when the assistant who is the top recruiter moves on to another slot. He will be a head coach some day and it will not be an easy slot to fill when he moves on. Hopefully, they are grooming one of the other coaches (Saul) to slide into that role.

Always a precarious moment when the assistant who is the top recruiter moves on to another slot. He will be a head coach some day and it will not be an easy slot to fill when he moves on. Hopefully, they are grooming one of the other coaches (Saul) to slide into that role.

Curious what kind of value you think Saul adds. I really have no idea.

sounds like vince is ready to be a HC at the college level, but i will selfishly admit that i won't mind it if he sticks around as an assistant and recruiter for a couple more years.

Curious what kind of value you think Saul adds. I really have no idea.

For one thing, Saul was a point guard and he knows how to teach being the point to our players that are playing that position. It's good to have at least one asst. coach on any staff that knows what it takes to lead a time as it's the most important position on the floor. Also, he's the bridge between Tubby and the players. He's not that far removed from his playing days, so he can relate to the kids and they can trust him.

Vince still has two more jobs he is hopefully for getting in on this year, one of which currently isn't open but may be soon. Wilmington just wasn't a good match and the style of play he wants doesn't match with the current roster and let's just say he wasn't heartbroken he didn't get it. Saul, well:rolleyes: is a long, long ways from being a head coach.

Top Bottom