One shining moment (or not)

Listening to "One Shining Moment" is as bad/good as . .

• attending a Tim Brewster fundraiser w/o benefit of alcohol - horrible

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • attending an anger management seminar facilitated by Bo Ryan - bad

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • getting free corner court tickets to a Gopher non-conference game – OK

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • finding twenty bucks in the pocket of pants that you haven’t worn for months -good

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • locking down a top-ranked recruiting class this spring - excellent

Votes: 23 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

minimax

Reaction score
The buzzkill to an otherwise terrific NCAA tournament is upon us.

Just How bad is "One Shining Moment"?

Ahhh....the montage. America's contribution to culture.

Question: What is your favorite kind of montage?

Mine is the Self-Improvement, Training Montage that was perfected in the 1980s. This montage shows the character getting better, stronger and overcoming obstacles during three and a half minutes of a Journey song.

I'll admit it, I'm a total sap for the sappy song. (There, I said it.):cry:

"Moment" signals the end of a journey that I enjoy ever single year. The college basketball season never lets me down. Have never been able to put a finger on it as to why in comparison to any other sport. One Shining Moment always gives me that sad tinge & realization that college hoops is over until November.

It's really a terrible song, as songs go. However bad that it is, it's really not as annoying as the number of commercials and their constant airing of the same commercials over and over again....FIVE- FIVE- FIVE DOLLAR FOOTLONG - How sick of that jingle are you? It also seems that during the Great Eight games and the Final Four games there are more commercial TO's than the earlier rounds...

I will admit I am a sucker for any good sports montage. I love them.

As for the training montage I two thoughts pop into my head right away. 1. Rocky training in Sebria and 2. the training montage from South Park a few seasons back.

I love One Shining Moment almost as much as I do the games...it's so special, and makes me tear up. It also symbolizes the last of college hoops for the year, and it's sad to have to wait 7 long months until Midnight Madness.

The NCAA museum in Indy actually has a thing that plays all the One Shining Moments, you can click on any year and it plays them, the highlight of the place!

Got to ditto the comments for the song - it's the best. It's sappy goodness you only get once a year.

Ahhh....the montage. America's contribution to culture.

Question: What is your favorite kind of montage?

Mine is the Self-Improvement, Training Montage that was perfected in the 1980s. This montage shows the character getting better, stronger and overcoming obstacles during three and a half minutes of a Journey song.

I agree with you, it is nearly impossible not to be moved by the Steve Perry’s voice. I wonder though if you have any appreciation for the early (pre-NBC Olympics) American “proto-montage” work of NFL Films.

While not strictly montages in the sense that we know them today, I find these works fascinating. Of course they are characterized by the use of classical music, ultra-slow motion photography and the voice of the great John Facenda. Interesting, but so very primitive by today’s standards.

I love One Shining Moment almost as much as I do the games...it's so special, and makes me tear up. It also symbolizes the last of college hoops for the year, and it's sad to have to wait 7 long months until Midnight Madness.

The NCAA museum in Indy actually has a thing that plays all the One Shining Moments, you can click on any year and it plays them, the highlight of the place!

GL, I will defer to your sentimentality. It is as respected as it is expected.

However, the fact that ALL of the “Moments” are concentrated in one spot in Indianapolis gives me the willies! That would make it the Love Canal of mawkish American sports commentary. And I for one will avoid that city for the rest of my days because of it.

GL, I will defer to your sentimentality. It is as respected as it is expected.

However, the fact that ALL of the “Moments” are concentrated in one spot in Indianapolis gives me the willies! That would make it the Love Canal of mawkish American sports commentary. And I for one will avoid that city for the rest of my days because of it.

Tell us how you really feel...haha!

I have to give you props, Minimax, this may be the most hilariously phrased poll I've seen - I still can't stop laughing at the Brewster option.

OSM used to be better...the last few years have been disappointing. I am hoping this year it is back up to form to reflect the awesomeness of this years tourney (quite possibly the end of the "64" team era). I mean, a Horizon team playing for the title, need I say more??? there is hope for all of us...go Butler!!! and bring on OSM :)

I gotta commment. (Off thread, sorry) I was at the Baseball Hall of Fame, maybe 7 or 8 years ago with my son, and they had this montage. I swear, I had to hide my face because of tears. This old guy next to me, I could tell had the same deal going on. Yeah, montages get the best of me. Pretty sappy.

The buzzkill to an otherwise terrific NCAA tournament is upon us.

Just How bad is "One Shining Moment"?
Looks like you're in the minority on this one.

While not a huge fan of this year's production, it's still a great capstone to what turned out to be a very entertaining tournament.

Looks like you're in the minority on this one.

While not a huge fan of this year's production, it's still a great capstone to what turned out to be a very entertaining tournament.

Indeed.

At least it was a terrific tournament. I (obviously) didn't see last night's version, but based on comments by others on the board - whatever you feel about it, it was a step backwards.

I was surprised by the results. I really expected it to be very bimodal. It was not.

Also, what does it say about us that fully a third of all respondents think listening to OSM is as good as locking down a top ranked recruiting class? What a world, what a world!

Those are my last words on the subject. Thanks to all the participants.

Top Bottom