More on Walker/Lil' Joseph

BigGopherFan

Banned
Reaction score
I know this has probably been discussed in one fashion or another, but something very good could be happening here with this Maurice Walker situation. It's somewhat surprising how quickly he put Minnesota to the top of his list when a few months ago, the Gophers weren't even on his radar (I don't think). Does he all the sudden want to play here because Cory Joseph secretly wants to play here too and he knows about it? From what I understand, the two are close, so this could be conceivable. Cory has never been very vocal about his recruitment.
If anything else, Walker's affection for the Gophers has infused new life into the idea that Cory Joseph could actually come here. If Minnesota can't land Lil' Joseph with his brother and Canadian buddy on the team (potentially), he never wanted to come here in the first place.

I believe that Tubby started recruiting him in 2007 and then turned up the heat when it was realized that Mbakwe and Royce's futures were in question. I love the fact that we are likely going to get him though. Not only does he seem like a very good player who could be virtually unmovable in the post, but he could help help sway Cory in the Gophers direction (if he wasn't already leaning towards us to begin with, which he very well could have been).

I would guess that Walker's uptick in interest has more to do with Pitt's scholarships now being filled and MN's growing void (and immediate PT available) at forward due to the unlikely return of White, questions re Mbakwe, and intermittent rumors of Carter considering tx due to his sister's illness.

I would guess that our staff hit the road hard looking for "beef" up front when White dropped out and Mbakwe's status continued to be in limbo, and those efforts are now coming to fruition w/ Walker.

Top Bottom