Huggins and WVA

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but over the years I've really come to like Bob Huggins. He's been a pretty easy punchline over the years-the low grad rates at Cinncy, his players getting into so much trouble (Art Long punching a police horse, as an example), his DUI, his quick exit from Kansas State. I think he's pretty honest about what he's at the university to do-get players who can win games and do well in the tourney, and I don't think he's a hypocrite about it like many of the turd-polishers in the college game. And if you ever hear him in an interview, his deadpan wit is pretty fun to listen to. To read about the relationship he has with the state of West Virginia makes me admire him even more.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but over the years I've really come to like Bob Huggins. He's been a pretty easy punchline over the years-the low grad rates at Cinncy, his players getting into so much trouble (Art Long punching a police horse, as an example), his DUI, his quick exit from Kansas State. I think he's pretty honest about what he's at the university to do-get players who can win games and do well in the tourney, and I don't think he's a hypocrite about it like many of the turd-polishers in the college game. And if you ever hear him in an interview, his deadpan wit is pretty fun to listen to. To read about the relationship he has with the state of West Virginia makes me admire him even more.

Long never punched a horse. He was found innocent of the charge in a Cincinnati court. The policeman who accused him of that was chastised by the judge and disciplined by Cincy PD for lying about the incident.

Huggins isn't perfect. He has faults. On balance, he's more good than bad.

From last year... "I walked into a door by accident.."

huggins.jpg

I concur with Coolhand. There's something about Huggy Bear I really like. No pretenses. He's not a phony as all get-out like Calipari, Pitino or some of the other slicksters. If Sparty doesn't win it, I hope Hugs gets his championship.

Top Bottom