Mass exodous at Kentucky?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
DraftExpress just tweeted this:

"D, Cousins here in Columbus. Apparently saying D. Dodson declaring for draft & Cal told him only 4 UK players returning."

Go Gophers!!

does this suprise anyone? This is what Cal does. Saying he recruits student-athletes is a complete joke. Now I'll be waiting for the allegations of rules violations to start.

9 Cats (Out Of 13) Are Gone

3 seniors. 5 to NBA. And 1 transfer.

4 players back. Plus 5 or 6 recruits, maybe more.

How can they survive this kind of recruiting? Having 5 guys leave early in one year? I know they lose different levels of APR standing based on the academic standing of the guys when they leave...but I don't think a program can sustain this kind of habit without losing considerable scholarships/recruiting penalties etc.

Brandon Knight is a lock and I think C.J. Leslie is too last I heard. It'll be interesting to see if they pick up enough guys to have any real depth next year.

DraftExpress just tweeted this:

"D, Cousins here in Columbus. Apparently saying D. Dodson declaring for draft & Cal told him only 4 UK players returning."

Go Gophers!!

I think this mass exodus could accurately be filed under the "we've all known that for months" category.

How can they survive this kind of recruiting? Having 5 guys leave early in one year? I know they lose different levels of APR standing based on the academic standing of the guys when they leave...but I don't think a program can sustain this kind of habit without losing considerable scholarships/recruiting penalties etc.

Calipari only needs 10 or 11 scholarship players.

The 10% APR penalty would be loss of 2 scholarships.

FOT - is the transfer going to be Jon Hood?

Daniel Orton getting drafted in the first round would be a joke. 3.4 points and 3.3 rebounds in a huge 13 minutes a game. Impressive. Guaranteed first-round millions for that kind of sheer domination. Nothing more to prove.

The common basketball fan can probably evaluate talent as well as your typical NBA scout, general manager, etc. That's why players like Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and Josh Howard almost slipped out of the first round while (insert any number of big draft busts taken much higher.)

Can't pass Orton up though! Might be the next Karl Malone or Tim Duncan or.....oh, hell, I'm wasting my breath. :)

WLEX-TV in Lexington just reported tonight that Daniel Orton has stopped attending classes to concentrate on getting ready for the draft. That's not nearly as surprising as the news that Darnell Dodson says he will likely declare for the draft! Now that's a joke.

Hood's father said Jon is staying put. Dodson will be leaving UK one way or the other.

I would GUESS Darnell Dodson instead of Hood.

Really. I thought I had read that Hood was having issues with lack of playing time. He was a fairly highly rated prospect.

Wow though. I know Calipari will bring in the players but that's a serious roster turnover.

Really. I thought I had read that Hood was having issues with lack of playing time. He was a fairly highly rated prospect.

Wow though. I know Calipari will bring in the players but that's a serious roster turnover.

The best coaches can handle roster turnover. Georgia lost 8 seniors off its 1996 Sweet 16 team but increased by 3 W the next year to set a school record (24 W) that still remains today.

Wow, some of these Kentucky players are getting terrible advice. Wall, Patterson, and Cousin's should all leave. You could make a case for Bledsoe but Orton and Dotson, wow. Orton could be a lotto pick in a few years but Dotson. I know that the NBA could be locked out next year(damn big loss there) so manny players are going to want to leave year but this is stupid.

hindsight is 20-20

Daniel Orton getting drafted in the first round would be a joke. 3.4 points and 3.3 rebounds in a huge 13 minutes a game. Impressive. Guaranteed first-round millions for that kind of sheer domination. Nothing more to prove.

The common basketball fan can probably evaluate talent as well as your typical NBA scout, general manager, etc. That's why players like Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and Josh Howard almost slipped out of the first round while (insert any number of big draft busts taken much higher.)

Can't pass Orton up though! Might be the next Karl Malone or Tim Duncan or.....oh, hell, I'm wasting my breath. :)

Orton could go in the second round, likely bust pick. Everyone makes that judgement of bad talent evaluation years after a draft. Make the prediction before. Tell me what players who will be drafted in the lottery will be stars, average, and busts on draft day and I will be impressed.

Wow, some of these Kentucky players are getting terrible advice. Wall, Patterson, and Cousin's should all leave. You could make a case for Bledsoe but Orton and Dotson, wow. Orton could be a lotto pick in a few years but Dotson. I know that the NBA could be locked out next year(damn big loss there) so manny players are going to want to leave year but this is stupid.

Dodson isn't leaving because he thinks he is ready for the NBA. I think it is more a conflict with the coach.

Supposedly, Orton is getting advice that he will be taken in the 1st round. With the lockout looming next year, I guess he wants to make some money. Also, he was coming back from an injury sustained in his senior year of HS so I'm sure that weighs on his mind to.

Finally, Bledsoe is thinking of going because of his family. They are not well off and he wants to take care of them.

None of this is final, but it looks like UK will lose Wall,Cousins,Patterson,Orton,Bledsoe,Dodson and the 3 Seniors.

So, by my count that's nine players. Wow. That will literally leave Calipari with an almost entirely new team next year. I know we all expected most of those guys to go pro after this year, but wow, that's even more than I think many thought.

Even if Kentucky gets Knight (overrated BTW, he's not the best PG in the class), Selby, and Leslie, that still doesn't come close to replicating Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe. Kentucky won't be nearly as good next year and the idea that this kind of turnover can be negated by bringing in a stellar incoming recruiting class is a huge myth. The problem is 2 of the 3 they will probably land will be one-and-dones so that cycle would continue. They'll make the tourney next year with that talent for sure, but with almost no low post presence, they'll won't come close to matching this year's #1 seed.

I'd be worried if I were a Kentucy fan of becoming a glorified prep school.

Hood should stay around. He'll have the most experience and could develop into a deadly shooter.

Even if Kentucky gets Knight (overrated BTW, he's not the best PG in the class), Selby, and Leslie, that still doesn't come close to replicating Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe. Kentucky won't be nearly as good next year and the idea that this kind of turnover can be negated by bringing in a stellar incoming recruiting class is a huge myth. The problem is 2 of the 3 they will probably land will be one-and-dones so that cycle would continue. They'll make the tourney next year with that talent for sure, but with almost no low post presence, they'll won't come close to matching this year's #1 seed.

I agree with your assessment of Knight. Watched him play against Austin Rivers' team on ESPN earlier in the year and Rivers tore him a new one in that game. Knight always looks like he's out of control to me and his jumper is iffy at best. I came away from that game much more impressed with Rivers even though he is a year younger than Knight.

Pewt

They seem to need immediate gratification and that is what they got, to a degree.

I prefer the manner with which Izzo and Bo do it. Get good solid 3 and 4's with a 5 sprinkled in as often as you can. Not much history of one and dones with those two.

You need some continuity in the program.

I assume Cal will have some to some extent but right now it is like a merry go round of guys jumping on and then jumping off on the next spin.

Side note:

Over the past couple of year, as a Duke fan, I've been sick and tired of hearing that Duke hasn't been to the Final Four since 2004. Note: IT'S HARD TO MAKE IT TO THE FINAL FOUR IN A ONE-AND-DONE TOURNEY. Duke had some poor performances when it matter most (Redick vs LSU in '07) and I understand the oddity of not seeing Duke in the final four that often but people just made such a big deal about it. Now that they're in, can those that loved to make mention of it finally turn to the program that somehow went under the radar but is much more deserving of the title of "has been there since."?

Kentucky

So why has no one mentioned that it has been 12 years since Kentucky's last appearance? In the realm of the elite in college basketball, Kentucky and Duke are on the same level. Headline: 12 years is twice as long as 6.

Out of curiosity doesn't this type of situation wreak havoc on their graduation requirement?

I would not want to be the person at the University of Kentucky repsonsible for keeping track of all the NCAA's APR stuff for men's basketball. That's a major, major responsibility with all the one-and-dones they'll have coming and going under Calipari.

I would not want to be the person at the University of Kentucky repsonsible for keeping track of all the NCAA's APR stuff for men's basketball. That's a major, major responsibility with all the one-and-dones they'll have coming and going under Calipari.

Sandy Bell. The 2010 APR won't be calculated for a couple of years and even then, it's blended together with 2007, 2008, and 2009 APR.

"The 2010 APR won't be calculated for a couple of years and even then, it's blended together with 2007, 2008, and 2009 APR."

No sh*t, Sherlock. Gee, I wasn't aware of that. It's really scary that you know the person's name.

Top Bottom