Seth Davis reiterates confidence in Tubby to Oregon

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this tweet:

"Strong and getting stronger. I've said for weeks he was headed to Eugene RT @bushhogky: Any chance Tubby NOT at Minn. Next year."

Go Gophers!!

I am sure that Seth Davis is the one person in the world with the down-low on this entire situation.

Here's what Seth said a few weeks ago ..

Moving out west, there is a ton of buzz about what Oregon is going to do -- or more specifically, what uber-alum Phil Knight is going to do. Knight has already spent a barrel of money building a new arena named for his late son, and word is that he is prepared to spend whatever is necessary to land a big-time hire. I've heard the school is initially focusing on four such names: Steve Alford, Tubby Smith, Billy Donovan and Jamie Dixon. I spoke with New Mexico athletic director Paul Krebs on Tuesday, and he told me that he met with Alford earlier that day and the school is going to adjust Alford's contract, which currently runs through 2017, to give him added incentive to stay. Krebs also told me that nobody, including Oregon, has contacted him to request permission to speak with Alford. I spoke with someone else close to Alford on Tuesday who echoed that, so it looks like Alford is staying put.

It should surprise no one that Oregon is reportedly interested in Gonzaga's Mark Few, who is from the state and an alum of the school. There was a report from a local media outlet in Spokane that Few was leaning towards taking the job, but I don't believe he will. I spoke Tuesday night with someone who is close to Few, and he said he would be "shocked" if he left Gonzaga for Oregon or anyplace else. I've always felt that Few's loyalty to his alma mater was overstated, and the sudden change of athletic directors at Oregon can't help. Few really values his time with his family and he has a secure, happy lifestyle up in Spokane. If Few surprises everyone and takes the job, Zags assistant Leon Rice will most likely succeed him at Gonzaga.

Tubby Smith's name is going to be floated again this year because there is a widespread assumption that he is not all that happy at Minnesota. A source at the school told me that Smith is disappointed that the school has yet to build the practice facility it promised him, plus Smith does not believe the school backed him up enough this season by suspending some of his players for transgressions off the court. And as we all know, it is very cold in Minneapolis. Smith's name was linked to the vacancy at Auburn last weekend, but a source close to Smith told me that nobody has contacted Smith's representatives about any job. From what I'm told, Smith would not appreciate schools floating their interest in him through the media or other third parties, nor would he be inclined to take a job at Oregon if he knew the school preferred Alford.

At the end of the day, a lot of people believe Oregon could end up with Texas A&M's Mark Turgeon, who coached there briefly as an assistant. Another logical choice would be St. Mary's coach Randy Bennett, who will be red-hot after taking his Gaels to the Sweet 16. But those are barely-educated guesses.

Seth Davis is a f&*#ing moron. I have no idea how he has that job. Ignore him.

I really despise this guy. I hope he has to eat his words and soon.

At least Souhan had the decency to crawl under a rock and hasn't come out since his reports were found to be wrong. I wonder how things will be for Marcus Fuller on the beat next year after his Coach Smith wanting out reports. Seth Davis deserves some heat.

Yeah, I feel like Seth Davis is simply plugging his own story that seems to be losing traction a bit to keep it afloat. Stirring the pot.

Nobody nationally will care if Seth is wrong about a tweet re- Tubby. Its a no risk prediction for him...

Seth Davis Is Son Of Lanny Davis (From Clinton Adminstration)

And Seth is "all in" on the sleaze and lies commonplace of that era.

Totall unadulterated BS by Seth Davis.

We're down to just 3 job openings within the major conferences, two of which have horrific fan support. Here's my leader in the clubhouse for each job:

Boston College (Mike Rice, Robert Morris)
DePaul (Brian Gregory, Dayton)
Oregon (Reggie Theus, Timberwolves assistant)

We're down to just 3 job openings within the major conferences, two of which have horrific fan support. Here's my leader in the clubhouse for each job:

SS, honestly curious about Theus to Oregon and why that's your take. Coach Rice makes sense to me. Coach Gregory seems to have some pieces at Dayton to have a solid team again next year, but maybe the upgrade in pay, conference and the chance to move near the hometown is too much to refuse? But Reggie Theus to Oregon? There's been talk of a "B" list of candidates... is Theus even on that list? I know he's a west coast guy, but that one caught me off guard.

per this tweet:

"Strong and getting stronger. I've said for weeks he was headed to Eugene RT @bushhogky: Any chance Tubby NOT at Minn. Next year."

Go Gophers!!

The twit keeps tweeting huh? Why am I not surprised. :rolleyes:

Theus is a shot in the dark, yes.

I figure he's got a lotta' Hollywood/flair (that would mesh well with Mr. Nike), he has "the look", he has a successful NBA pedigree & he did well as a head coach (out West) in his brief stint in college hoops (New Mexico State). I think he'd be a pretty good fit. He certainly would be any easy guy to market & sell to the Oregon public. It's not like he's a homely looking man (I say that in a non-man crush sort of way), and he'd be as smooth as they come with the fans & the media.

I have lost all respect for Seth Davis (and Jim Souhan for anything not Twins or Vikings) in this current rumor-mill season. I've also lost a bit for Marcus, but it's basically one story and he has to trust his sources. Meanwhile, Myron's been surprisingly patient and even-handed in his coverage. A nice surprise given how he jumped all over every Royce White tid-bid all season long.

I've also lost a bit for Marcus, but it's basically one story and he has to trust his sources.

Personally, I feel a waterboarding should be in order for Marcus Fuller.

He has to trust his sources but who is he talking to?

Reports that Minnesota's Tubby Smith was offered the job, and Michigan State's Tom Izzo will be offered the richest contract in college basketball are not true, said Joe Giansante, a senior associate athletic director at Oregon.

"On the big ones, Tom Izzo and Tubby Smith, neither one of (the reports) have any truth whatsoever," Giansante said Tuesday. "I don't know where those reports come from."

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20100331/COLUMN0304/3310424/1127/SPORTS

Bingo!

Reports that Minnesota's Tubby Smith was offered the job, and Michigan State's Tom Izzo will be offered the richest contract in college basketball are not true, said Joe Giansante, a senior associate athletic director at Oregon.

"On the big ones, Tom Izzo and Tubby Smith, neither one of (the reports) have any truth whatsoever," Giansante said Tuesday. "I don't know where those reports come from."

No matter how many definite quotes you have from Tubby or the Oregon athletic department people will still be convinced he's leaving. The stupidity is getting annoying.

I can't see Tom Izzo leaving a national contender in his home state to start over in a totally different region of the country. Then again, most people would jump jobs for another dime, so can we really criticize college coaches for maximizing their compensation?

I can't see Tom Izzo leaving a national contender in his home state to start over in a totally different region of the country. Then again, most people would jump jobs for another dime, so can we really criticize college coaches for maximizing their compensation?

I don't necessarily agree with that when it comes to big time college coaches. They are all rich beyond belief already. BCS conference coaches only move now becuase they want to get closer to home, want a new challenge or step up to one of the "prestige" jobs like UK or UNC. It's rarely for money as they are already comfortable.

Parrish had a great article on that yesterday at cbssports.com titled "Dollars and Sense". Sorry, I don't have a link to it as I'm just passing through here today but you should go look at it. Makes a lot of "sense".

I don't necessarily agree with that when it comes to big time college coaches. They are all rich beyond belief already. BCS conference coaches only move now becuase they want to get closer to home, want a new challenge or step up to one of the "prestige" jobs like UK or UNC. It's rarely for money as they are already comfortable.

Parrish had a great article on that yesterday at cbssports.com titled "Dollars and Sense". Sorry, I don't have a link to it as I'm just passing through here today but you should go look at it. Makes a lot of "sense".

Yes and no. It may not be that they need the extra money but that money plays into the prestige of the job. The title of Highest Paid College Coach or Top 5 Paid Coaches are often synonymous with the average fan's view of who the top coaches are for good or bad. To have a top salary in many people's minds means that you're a top coach. It may not be for the extra few bucks but to say money doesn't matter when choosing coaching jobs isn't true.

John Wooden

He made $32,000 in 1975 when he retired from UCLA. He was the best coach EVER in Div I Men's basketball.

I made $10,800 as a rookie "field engineer" with an insurance company in 1975. I had no experience and few skills, yet Wooden made only about 3X what I made.

Theus' name is being mentioned at DePaul, per this tweet:

"DePaul to interview former Chicago Bull Reggie Theus on Thursday."

Go Gophers!!

Hate to drag up an old thread, but I have been attempting to get Seth Davis to at least admit he was wrong via Twitter (there were MULTIPLE tweets reiterating how confident he was, not just this one, that Tubby was on his way out), tweeting: "Didn't somebody report Tubby to Oregon was basically a "done deal"? I'm sure a correction is forthcoming." (a play on his tweet about someone needing to correct their report that a 96 team tournament was a "done deal"), previously I'd tweeted criticizing him not citing any sources and rumor mongering about Tubby. Finally fired back: Show me where I wrote that. I said I thought that would happen, never reported it as such. I imagine you can tell difference.

Come on Seth, all we want is for you to admit that you were wrong. HATE rumor mongerers who then go quiet the second their side of it doesn't work out.

Hate to drag up an old thread, but I have been attempting to get Seth Davis to at least admit he was wrong via Twitter (there were MULTIPLE tweets reiterating how confident he was, not just this one, that Tubby was on his way out), tweeting: "Didn't somebody report Tubby to Oregon was basically a "done deal"? I'm sure a correction is forthcoming." (a play on his tweet about someone needing to correct their report that a 96 team tournament was a "done deal"), previously I'd tweeted criticizing him not citing any sources and rumor mongering about Tubby. Finally fired back: Show me where I wrote that. I said I thought that would happen, never reported it as such. I imagine you can tell difference.

Come on Seth, all we want is for you to admit that you were wrong. HATE rumor mongerers who then go quiet the second their side of it doesn't work out.

I think it's awesome that you called him out on that!

Awag: @SethDavisHoops Didn't somebody report Tubby to Oregon was basically a "done deal"? I'm sure a correction is forthcoming.
Seth Davis: Show me where I wrote that. I said I thought that would happen, never reported it as such. I imagine you can tell difference.
Awag: @SethDavisHoops you reported it w/o naming sources repeatedly & did nothing but rumor monger about Tubby.
Awag: You were saying it for weeks. RT @SethDavisHoops: Strong and getting stronger. I've said for weeks he was headed to Eugene

I think Seth's defense is that he didn't "report" it as in a story, but saying it over and over and coming from a journalist implies that he is in the know...when that was clearly not the case. He can just admit that he was wrong in his prediction, and that there wasn't really any substance to it.

I'd say that these Tweets from Seth prove Awag's point:
For the record I still think Tubby will be Oregon's next head coach.

Clarified this to GopherLady on twitter, but I used the "report" cause it was a play off this tweet: "Didn't somebody report the 96-team tourney was a "done deal"? I'm sure a correction is forthcoming." Threw in "basically" thinking that would be enough to reiterate that I knew he wasn't/hadn't reported it as fact, but rather I was annoyed with the rumor mongering (and worse: without sources he was willing to name or quote directly). Just want Mr. David to admit that a.) his "Sources", if they existed beyond just hunches, were incorrect, or B.) His "feeling" was wrong.

What a cowardly cop out. "I didn't write it, I tweeted it, thus journalistic standards do not apply." I understand that it is impossible to keep random, anonymous posters from spreading unsubstantiated rumors via the internet but we are dealing with a supposedly legitimate media person here. His feet should be held to the fire for this.

Seth Davis doesn't know squat, I'm not concerned about Tubby leaving for Oregon in the slightest!

Top Bottom