JohnnyGopher - White

Swede

Reaction score
Myron alluded in his blog today that there is some sort of time line for Royce White to return to the program. Can you shed any light on this?

swede

While we wait for JG to respond let me throw this into the mixing bowl.

Mr. White is faced with some problems.

For starts since he QUIT school he has no scholarship in hand.

Depending on what Tubby may or may not do recruiting wise, there could be no scholarship available for Mr. White even if he resolves his other issues. If lightning were to strike in the next few weeks and Tubby signs Walker and CJ for example, we would then be theoretically out of scholarships. Nothing in the cupboard for Mr. White.

Beyond that matter, Mr. White would need to reenroll in school ! I am not sure but he might also be required to catch up on his credits before he was eligible.

He would have been much better off staying in school and keeping his scholarship in hand, IMHO.

While we wait for JG to respond let me throw this into the mixing bowl.

Mr. White is faced with some problems.

For starts since he QUIT school he has no scholarship in hand.

Depending on what Tubby may or may not do recruiting wise, there could be no scholarship available for Mr. White even if he resolves his other issues. If lightning were to strike in the next few weeks and Tubby signs Walker and CJ for example, we would then be theoretically out of scholarships. Nothing in the cupboard for Mr. White.

Beyond that matter, Mr. White would need to reenroll in school ! I am not sure but he might also be required to catch up on his credits before he was eligible.

He would have been much better off staying in school and keeping his scholarship in hand, IMHO.

White would need a successful summer to catch up on academics (12 hours, I think).

White is such a long shot......

to rejoin this team. I think Izzo to Oregon looks likely compared to the possibility of RW rejoing the team.

HE IS NOT ENROLLED IN SCHOOL!! He'd have to make up credits like crazy, keep his nose clean, and hope for a January return. IT AIN'T HAPPENIN.....this leopard will not change his spots.

to rejoin this team. I think Izzo to Oregon looks likely compared to the possibility of RW rejoing the team.

HE IS NOT ENROLLED IN SCHOOL!! He'd have to make up credits like crazy, keep his nose clean, and hope for a January return. IT AIN'T HAPPENIN.....this leopard will not change his spots.

Just 12 hours (per semester) is needed for NCAA eligibility next fall. He could do that in summer session.

How about this....

With Blake's academics being so good, could move him to an academic scholarship, giving us another athletic scholarship for Royce? Regardless, if Cory commits (which I think he will) we can consider Cobbs as good as gone.

I believe Royce will return, getting Cory Joseph would make coming back all the more attractive to him too.

Royce's grades aren't the issue, academics are the last thing that concerns me with him. He wouldn't have any issue re-enrolling in school.

EOTG

Royce's grades aren't the issue, academics are the last thing that concerns me with him. He wouldn't have any issue re-enrolling in school.

I don't think anyone suggested his grades were an issue. Yes, he can enroll but that does involve some deadlines.

I don't think anyone suggested his grades were an issue. Yes, he can enroll but that does involve some deadlines.

I don't doubt that it does, I guess I'm just confident that if Royce decides to re-enroll, that everything will fall into place.

As many are saying on here, if (IF) Royce wants to get on the path to rejoin the Gophers academically, he can do so easily. I feel like the biggest hurdle will be if Tubby actually will take him back.

Blake will not take an academic scholarship. The perks of an athletic scholarship far exceed the monetary value associated with an academic scholarship. Blake has earned a scholarship for basketball, he shouldn't be asked to give it up. If the two available scholarships are taken by C. Joesph, Walker, or anyone else for that matter, White's scholarship will come from a player transfer, which id a definite possibility.

PS: If we sign 2 more players, what will become of Dominique Dawson? I'm sure he is expecting to earn a scholly this season.

Blake will not take an academic scholarship. The perks of an athletic scholarship far exceed the monetary value associated with an academic scholarship. Blake has earned a scholarship for basketball, he shouldn't be asked to give it up. If the two available scholarships are taken by C. Joesph, Walker, or anyone else for that matter, White's scholarship will come from a player transfer, which id a definite possibility..

I don't know the details of academic vs. athletic scholarships, but I'll take your word. I remember us going down the Blake-to-academic-scholly thing last year before we knew Busch was to transfer, and it seemed like consensus formed that it wouldn't happen. Can't see how anything would change now...

As many are saying on here, if (IF) Royce wants to get on the path to rejoin the Gophers academically, he can do so easily. I feel like the biggest hurdle will be if Tubby actually will take him back.

Agreed, but part of me thinks that Tubby is looking out for Royce's best interest, which is being with this team. I wouldn't think that Tubby would want to see Royce fail, because if he doesn't allow him to return, that's the direction he is headed.

Personally I take the chance, he is too talented to pass up on. I would be willing to take the gamble with the hope he learned something from the first time around.

Royce has had nothing but tome to think about what he should have done differently.

Here's the dream scenario:

We sign the Joseph-Walker package, Ellison and/or Hollins redshirt with a 4 for 5 deal with a scholarship (both reportedly have high GPA's, could earn an academic scholly in year 1), then Dawson's scholarship is open and the option to bring Royce is available.

Blake will not take an academic scholarship. The perks of an athletic scholarship far exceed the monetary value associated with an academic scholarship. Blake has earned a scholarship for basketball, he shouldn't be asked to give it up. If the two available scholarships are taken by C. Joesph, Walker, or anyone else for that matter, White's scholarship will come from a player transfer, which id a definite possibility.

PS: If we sign 2 more players, what will become of Dominique Dawson? I'm sure he is expecting to earn a scholly this season.

Good point about the perks of the athletic scholarship, that didn't cross my mind.

Disagree about Dawson, he will be nothing but a practice player for this team, he won't sniff the floor other than blowout minutes. He can't possible think he deserves a scholarship.

I agree about the availabilty of the scholarship likely coming from a player transfer, Cobbs would clearly be the odd man out with the potential addition of Cory. Is it true Cobbs has a kid in California?

I haven't seen enough of Dawson (nobody has, obviously), to know what he will or won't be. He looks good physically, but reports out of practice are he is very green. Clearly, Tubby sees potential in him or else he would not have given him the opportunity to walk on to the team. He could become valuable, just as Damien did in his 5 years here. It is hard to project how valuable a redshirt will become because it is hard for us as outside observers to see their growth.

That being said, Dawson will be hard pressed to make a name for himself with next years projected rotation, him sitting behind PC, Rodney, Colt/RSIII (when they play together), and possibly Trevor, Mo Walker, and Royce.

I haven't seen enough of Dawson (nobody has, obviously), to know what he will or won't be. He looks good physically, but reports out of practice are he is very green. Clearly, Tubby sees potential in him or else he would not have given him the opportunity to walk on to the team. He could become valuable, just as Damien did in his 5 years here. It is hard to project how valuable a redshirt will become because it is hard for us as outside observers to see their growth.

That being said, Dawson will be hard pressed to make a name for himself with next years projected rotation, him sitting behind PC, Rodney, Colt/RSIII (when they play together), and possibly Trevor, Mo Walker, and Royce.

Just by watching him in warmups along with seeing him at Tubby's Tipoff, he is extremely raw offensively, has poor handles, and looks to me like he as a long ways to go.

Here's the dream scenario:

We sign the Joseph-Walker package, Ellison and/or Hollins redshirt with a 4 for 5 deal with a scholarship (both reportedly have high GPA's, could earn an academic scholly in year 1), then Dawson's scholarship is open and the option to bring Royce is available.

You cannot move players from athletic to academic scholarships. The NCAA does not allow this, period. If this were allowed, schools like Alabama, Tennessee, etc. would go crazy and you would see 120 scholarship players on a football team and 20 scholarship players on basketball teams (athletic and academic schollies combined).

You cannot move players from athletic to academic scholarships. The NCAA does not allow this, period. If this were allowed, schools like Alabama, Tennessee, etc. would go crazy and you would see 120 scholarship players on a football team and 20 scholarship players on basketball teams (athletic and academic schollies combined).

Good point

Our scholarship situation is much more complicated than you guys make it seem. Al Nolen is not a 100% lock to be in school and eligible next year. Trevor Mbakwe is not a 100% lock to be at Minnesota next year. And we've all heard rumors of a transfer.

Our scholarship situation is much more complicated than you guys make it seem. Al Nolen is not a 100% lock to be in school and eligible next year. Trevor Mbakwe is not a 100% lock to be at Minnesota next year. And we've all heard rumors of a transfer.

You're right. That is complicated.

Utterly FALSE. NCAA rules permit a player with 3.4 GPA (minimum) for 1 full year (minimum) to move to academic scholarship and NOT COUNT against the limit for athletic scholarships in the sport (13 in MBB).

The cumulative GPA of the Alabama or Tennessee football teams wouldn't add up to 3.4 GPA.

They could pull one from someone? Are they not renewed year to year. That would be a dick move though. Farmer from UCLA was on the radio talking about his getting pulled in the mid 90's at UCLA.

They could pull one from someone? Are they not renewed year to year. That would be a dick move though. Farmer from UCLA was on the radio talking about his getting pulled in the mid 90's at UCLA.

Tubby got his scholarship rescinded by Maryland in 1969.

That's why he went to High Point in NC.

Dawson should never get a scholly...

White is not going to NDSU...

Blake isn't going on an academic scholly...

There is way too much jabber goin on in this thread

Tubby calls the shots

Tubby is the key here. He has coached Royce enough in practice to know whether he wants Royce on the team or not. He has been very consistent about Royce ie Royce is welcome on the team BUT first he has "work to do". Will Royce do what Tubby wants him to do? If the answer is no then no Royce. It is clear who makes the rules and who has to follow them if he wants to play.

Top Bottom