How bad would this be?

gopherbadgerman

Reaction score
Cobbs leaves, Nolen cant play, TM is guilty, RW does not come back, CJ does not sign here.

So we would have 7 openings and only 2 signed. What the hell does Tubby do then?

We would have the two frosh, Devoe, Blake, Rodney, Sampson, Iverson, Carter, Dawson...

That would be really, really tough.

Cobbs leaves, Nolen cant play, TM is guilty, RW does not come back, CJ does not sign here.

So we would have 7 openings and only 2 signed. What the hell does Tubby do then?

We would have the two frosh, Devoe, Blake, Rodney, Sampson, Iverson, Carter, Dawson...

Wow, thanks for being a...

<object width="512" height="296 "><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/Ots_Hph5c6LUHCfWyxV9aw"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/Ots_Hph5c6LUHCfWyxV9aw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Yeah, and what if Jordan Taylor gets attacked by a bunch of hungry lions, Jon Leuer transfers to Wofford, and Keaton Nankivil decides to pursue his lifelong dream of being a professional tapdancer?

Seems just as likely to me.

Or................

Cobbs stays, Nolen plays, TM is found not guilty, CJ sign, and maybe we don't get Royce back, but Walker signs, and then we go and win a Big Ten title next season. Yeah, that'd be really, really tough.

Or................

Cobbs stays, Nolen plays, TM is found not guilty, CJ sign, and maybe we don't get Royce back, but Walker signs, and then we go and win a Big Ten title next season. Yeah, that'd be really, really tough.

That would be awesome. Would not be tough at all, but that is the opposite of the OP, which is fine.

Look, the reason I made the post was that there are multiple threads about "what ifs" where we have too many players for scholarships. Some poeple get bent out of shape over taking the opposite viewpoint, and its not to make anyone mad, but I wanted to know what we would do...

Instead I get ripped about my looks and my posts. I dont get it. If all we can do is post about how great everything is and how we are going to have too many players, there would be no back and forth, which is what message boards are really good for, IMO...

These type of posts are not allowed on here. You should know that by now.

It would obviously be the end of civilization as we know it. :rolleyes:

In reality, something in between all these things going for or against the gophers will probably occur, and we don't need the scenario to play out perfectly to have a very good team next year. I do think it is more likely that all of these players come rather than all of them leaving (unless Tubby leaves). It's more fun to dream about possibilities of being a great team compared to worrying about the worst case scenario. To be able to dream about the idea of greatness is something that we haven't been able to realistically do around here for a LONG time.

I'll predict it ends up to be pretty crappy, but not worst-case:
Cobbs leaves (I'm not sure if this is bad or good)
Nolen becomes eligible
TM is guilty
RW plays until grades are posted for fall semester, then leaves
CJ doesn't sign here
Tubby leaves after next year

I think Nolen will be back next season and be better than ever. Mbakwe will also join the team and start right away. Don't count on Royce or Joseph, however. There just seems to be no positive indication that either is 100 percent interested in coming to the U.
I'll take Nolen and Mbakwe, though. Both add depth in the backcourt and frontcourt. That's encouraging.

you do realize that we're recruiting other players than just Cory Joseph right? If we don't get Joseph I can guarantee we will pick at least one other guy up.

In reality, something in between all these things going for or against the gophers will probably occur, and we don't need the scenario to play out perfectly to have a very good team next year. I do think it is more likely that all of these players come rather than all of them leaving (unless Tubby leaves).

Good post. I agree with you. I think it is more likely that more stay than go (or never come).

How would it be any different than what we did the last half of the year, minus Cobbs? So, virtually the same.

gopherbeckyman (a.k.a. GVBecky from beckyville.com): seriously, why do you act so f-ing "mentally challenged" sometimes?! are you really that bored each day that you find the need to post crap like this knowing your only purpose is to try and stir the pot?

p.s. the word that i wanted to use in quotes was redacted out of respect for Rick Mons.

Not going to happen. I think a factor, maybe a minor factor, in Tubby (likely) staying is the fact he thinks he is going to land both CJ and Walker. If he bolts for Oregon, he loses both because he will have alienated the Joseph family by ditching Devoe. With these 2 in the fold, just add Mbakwe OR Royce and we've got a real contender for a Big Ten title next year. Who knows, but I like to think this was the case.

There is zero chance that all 3 point guards are not on the team next year. First off, it would be really surprising if Nolen doesn't come back. Also, I think the only way that Cobbs leaves is if we sign CJ. Even then it's no guarantee, but I would be surprised if he stays in that case.

It's an unlikely scenario, but I think if a Jike or a Bleed, or a Selection Sunday posted it, it would get a better discussion going. I actually sent an email tonight to a friend on the topic of the worst case and best case rosters for next season. The worst case looks a lot like the initial post in this thread and the best case looks like the initial post in another thread. Throw in the fact that we either will have Tubby Smith coaching next year of we will have a new head coach picked in part by JOEL MATURI and the options for this program run from being in incredible shape to below average shape.

gopherbeckyman (a.k.a. GVBecky from beckyville.com): seriously, why do you act so f-ing "mentally challenged" sometimes?! are you really that bored each day that you find the need to post crap like this knowing your only purpose is to try and stir the pot?

p.s. the word that i wanted to use in quotes was redacted out of respect for Rick Mons.

I am not trying to "stir the pot" as you put it. I posted a simple question that got some good responses. If you dont like the thread or think it is so bad, then don't post in it. Sorry that every one of my posts is not sucking up.

Top Bottom