Is anyone else sick of these Tubby Rumors?

GopherLady

Reaction score
I have been offline for a few days, and am just reading a few threads, and I'm sick and tired of all the Tubby to Oregon, Auburn, Georgia Tech, or school for underwater basket-weaving.

I can't even tell you how many texts, emails, and questions I get about everyone of these...does anyone really buy this? I said last year with UVA, and this year through all this - there is NO way I see Tubby leaving in the near future. He makes almost 2 million a year, let's be honest, he has little expectations here, he lives in a great city, and the majority of the people here worship him. Plus, he came from Kentucky...which makes this deal look even sweeter. He's not some 30 year old hot coach that can just get lured away by a few more dollars, and doesn't know any better. He's been around, and he's much smarter than that.

The only way I see him leaving is if there is no progress on the practice facility over the next 2 years.

I just wanted to reply to all the 30 threads that say "Tubby to...?" and to reply with, that's ridiculous. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my words, but I don't see it. This is beginning to annoy me, and it's hard to not call people "idiots" when they ask me about this.

Here Are 2 Who Are Sick Of Them Also

1. Tubby (it's KILLING his recruiting efforts)

2. Joel Maturi

GL

I have been offline for a few days, and am just reading a few threads, and I'm sick and tired of all the Tubby to Oregon, Auburn, Georgia Tech, or school for underwater basket-weaving.

I can't even tell you how many texts, emails, and questions I get about everyone of these...does anyone really buy this? I said last year with UVA, and this year through all this - there is NO way I see Tubby leaving in the near future. He makes almost 2 million a year, let's be honest, he has little expectations here, he lives in a great city, and the majority of the people here worship him. Plus, he came from Kentucky...which makes this deal look even sweeter. He's not some 30 year old hot coach that can just get lured away by a few more dollars, and doesn't know any better. He's been around, and he's much smarter than that.

The only way I see him leaving is if there is no progress on the practice facility over the next 2 years.

I just wanted to reply to all the 30 threads that say "Tubby to...?" and to reply with, that's ridiculous. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my words, but I don't see it. This is beginning to annoy me, and it's hard to not call people "idiots" when they ask me about this.

Your problem is that folks respect your opinion, so they ask for it.

Has anyone asked about Sienna yet?

:)

Your problem is that folks respect your opinion, so they ask for it.

Has anyone asked about Sienna yet?

Haha - nice way to spin that - I wish! :)

No, but I heard Tubby is totally going to go to Sienna because he doesn't like that his parking space is 1 inch smaller than the one there. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who also said that Donna likes Siena better because they average 1 less day of snow than we do ;)

GL

Haha - nice way to spin that - I wish! :)

No, but I heard Tubby is totally going to go to Sienna because he doesn't like that his parking space is 1 inch smaller than the one there. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who also said that Donna likes Siena better because they average 1 less day of snow than we do ;)

Darn good think you ended that post with a "wink" or you would have started a firestorm of "Siena" threads!

My apologies to Siena College for my propensity to give them an extra "n".

Couldn't agree more GL

+1000

Count me among the masses sick and tired of hearing these rumors and answering questions from people that know I'm a fan of Gopher bball. According the Marcus Fuller, Oregon has come right out and said Tubby is not a candidate. Let's all move on so that there's nothing in the way of this spring's recruiting efforts.

I'm sick of this guy 'source I trust' i mean this guy never stops with the rumors and bad info

1. Tubby (it's KILLING his recruiting efforts)

2. Joel Maturi

Friend of Tubby, if this is correct, couldn't Tubby save his recruiting efforts by simply calling a press conference? If Tubby came out tomorrow on his own (not in response to a question after an NCAA tournament game) and looked in to the cameras and specifically stated he'd be at Minnesota for the long term and had no interest in any other job, that would significantly improve his recruiting chances.

It sure would be nice if our A.D., who's been proven inept over and over again, would make a statement similar to A&M's A.D., but that would require him to be competent.

Yep, very tired though nobody's making me read the threads. The other aspect of this that's bordering on ridiculous is the bashing Maturi is taking on this. Even if you think he's not a very good A.D., do people really believe Maturi's going to let Tubby go without doing everything he can to keep him? He's maybe too open and honest in saying there are limits to what he can do, but that is the reality.

A billion dollar state deficit, furloughs that amount to a pay cut for U employees, legislative cuts in funding, rising tuitions and fees, tapped out donors for TCF Stadium, the baseball stadium, etc. are all things which Maturi is factoring. He answers to Bruiniks, the regents, legislators, the faculty, big buck donors, and, indirectly, the taxpayers way before he has to do what a few posters on GopherHole want. If you imagine everyone is a Mormon, some folks on GH are the ones living in the desert with multiple wives. They certainly are passionate in their beliefs, but they're also so goofy that nobody really takes them seriously.

I'm thinking (hoping) that all of this is partly Tubby keeping the pressure on; and partly the media continuing to stir things up because they continue to get a reaction. If Tubby really is unhappy or if he's looking for more, he might be gone. And I'm sure Maturi did all he could do even if he wears pleated shorts, refuses to cut sports (as if that would be his decision), and gives out extensions to other coaches.

Yep, very tired though nobody's making me read the threads. The other aspect of this that's bordering on ridiculous is the bashing Maturi is taking on this. Even if you think he's not a very good A.D., do people really believe Maturi's going to let Tubby go without doing everything he can to keep him? He's maybe too open and honest in saying there are limits to what he can do, but that is the reality.

A billion dollar state deficit, furloughs that amount to a pay cut for U employees, legislative cuts in funding, rising tuitions and fees, tapped out donors for TCF Stadium, the baseball stadium, etc. are all things which Maturi is factoring. He answers to Bruiniks, the regents, legislators, the faculty, big buck donors, and, indirectly, the taxpayers way before he has to do what a few posters on GopherHole want. If you imagine everyone is a Mormon, some folks on GH are the ones living in the desert with multiple wives. They certainly are passionate in their beliefs, but they're also so goofy that nobody really takes them seriously.

Well said. Maturi may not be the most eloquent of ADs, but I'm sure he's doing everything possible to make sure Tubby is happy. It's a shame that these rumors are going to persist until it's possible to build the practice facility.

I heard a rumor that there won't be anymore rumors.

Friend of Tubby, if this is correct, couldn't Tubby save his recruiting efforts by simply calling a press conference? If Tubby came out tomorrow on his own (not in response to a question after an NCAA tournament game) and looked in to the cameras and specifically stated he'd be at Minnesota for the long term and had no interest in any other job, that would significantly improve his recruiting chances.

It sure would be nice if our A.D., who's been proven inept over and over again, would make a statement similar to A&M's A.D., but that would require him to be competent.

Tubby has been CONSISTENTLY Q-U-O-T-E-D that he likes it at Minnesota, he's looking forward to next year, etc, etc, etc.

MN media and SOME Gopher fans ignore Tubby's QUOTES and spread the rumors anyway.

Tiresome is definitely the word, GL. But the other word is troubling, because this many reports do not materialize out of nothing. There's something or some things going on here, and we're left to guess what it is - and isn't.

If there's some discontent by the Smiths (the family, not the discontent punk band), it doesn't help that they don't have roots here. Let's face it: this IS a frozen wasteland. It is what it is. Many people from other parts of the country have settled here and learned to like even the frozen wasteland part, so that shouldn't be an insurmountable hurdle. Worse than the cold winters lately, though, have been the cold summers. The last couple summers have made ME want to move to Oregon.

We knew this was a temporary fix when the U hired Tubby. Anytime you hire someone in their late 50's, you're not looking at a 20-year solution. If he hits the road before he retires, it's still been worth it, and it's still consistent with the concept of the hire in the first place. He's been a program saver and one of the two or three classiest coaches in the Big Ten. So it's been a pleasure to have him.

A recent post asked the question of who we hire once OTS bolts or retires. My answer is that there's a lot of basketball coaching talent to be found around here - people who have roots here and would indeed consider this their dream job. The task for someone like Maturi is to have a constant awareness of where that coaching talent is in the upper midwest and be ready when the time comes.

Based on the OregonLive blog, it appears Tubby or his representatives have instructed Oregon to put out the word that Tubby is not interested in this job. This is an effective approach as most people are more likely to believe it coming from Oregon sources. If Tubby comments on every rumor it gives the rumor more importance.

This also makes the media outlet starting the rumor (CBS) look like idiots.

Based on the OregonLive blog, it appears Tubby or his representatives have instructed Oregon to put out the word that Tubby is not interested in this job. This is an effective approach as most people are more likely to believe it coming from Oregon sources. If Tubby comments on every rumor it gives the rumor more importance.

This also makes the media outlet starting the rumor (CBS) look like idiots.

There are lots of idiots spreading rumors. CBS is one but hardly the only one.

I am sick of them too. Only worry about what you have control over.

Tiresome is definitely the word, GL. But the other word is troubling, because this many reports do not materialize out of nothing. There's something or some things going on here, and we're left to guess what it is - and isn't.

If there's some discontent by the Smiths (the family, not the discontent punk band), it doesn't help that they don't have roots here. Let's face it: this IS a frozen wasteland. It is what it is. Many people from other parts of the country have settled here and learned to like even the frozen wasteland part, so that shouldn't be an insurmountable hurdle. Worse than the cold winters lately, though, have been the cold summers. The last couple summers have made ME want to move to Oregon.

We knew this was a temporary fix when the U hired Tubby. Anytime you hire someone in their late 50's, you're not looking at a 20-year solution. If he hits the road before he retires, it's still been worth it, and it's still consistent with the concept of the hire in the first place. He's been a program saver and one of the two or three classiest coaches in the Big Ten. So it's been a pleasure to have him.

A recent post asked the question of who we hire once OTS bolts or retires. My answer is that there's a lot of basketball coaching talent to be found around here - people who have roots here and would indeed consider this their dream job. The task for someone like Maturi is to have a constant awareness of where that coaching talent is in the upper midwest and be ready when the time comes.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I don't really see it as troubling, as Tubby's given no indication he's interested in these other positions. Other coaches, like Mason and OSU, Monson and Washington (or was it WSU...who cares?) did show interest. I haven't seen Tubby show interest in any of these schools.

As far as being a frozen wasteland - so is about 1/3 of the country. Most of the Midwest, and out East are going to have cold, snowy, winters. I just don't buy that as a huge deterrent when you're in the gym from October to April.

I too - was hoping for a coach that would build a program here like Coach K did at Duke - but let's be honest, those coaches are few and far between. It's not like Tubby's one step in the grave, he's healthy, has energy, and still has a drive to win.

"Is anyone else sick of these Tubby Rumors? "

Me. So I don't read the threads. (I don't have to deal with texts and tweets.)

Throughout his career, Tubby has seemed to me to be a man of integrity. Contrary to what someone said, he has told the media he's not interested. He could hold another press conference, and it wouldn't mean any more than the ones he's had. And I certainly believe he has some frustrations about the current job--but anyone his/my age understands that there are no jobs without frustrations. You don't quit because it isn't perfect. So given his history, I take him at his word, and don't worry about it. That's how you treat people of integrity.

Should he prove my belief in his integrity wrong by leaving, then that's life. Nothing I do on these boards can stop it.

The rumors do get tiresome, but that's when I remind myself, "Better this than still having the previous coach as our coach while Williams Arena gradually gets turned into the biggest morgue in the country."

I prefer having a coach other major programs seem to want.

Really sick of it, I came back from Jamaica hoping that this board would have moved on but its still the same old sky is falling mode. Oh no another school wants tubby, lets get all worked up about nothing. Yes I do think Maturi needs to get this practice facility moving, cant he just call T. Denny Sanford, that guy is a billionaire alum who could fund the facility. But something I heard all weekend, everythings gonna be alright maan. Tubby is going nowhere.

I'm with SS on this one. Tired of the rumors..but it sure beats having a coach nobody wants. Bottom line the rumors wills stop once Tubby's people stop listening to schools that call him. I have no doubt that Tubby is NOT looking for a job but I suspect he does not hang up the phone. Truthfully, he would be a fool to do that given that the sitution here is not complete in his eyes. He needs leverage.

If Minnesota does enough to make progress on a practice facility and / or extension of contract, he will stop taking calls. Bottom line, Minnesota should not have waited until last week to review plans with Tubby. That should have been done after the first year.

The rumors do get tiresome, but that's when I remind myself, "Better this than still having the previous coach as our coach while Williams Arena gradually gets turned into the biggest morgue in the country."

I prefer having a coach other major programs seem to want.

That is a good point. Thanks for putting my annoyances into check. That's what you get when you have a top tier coach...I'd take that anyday over a guy no one wants.

The best way to get rid of the rumors are to break ground on the practice facility and have AD and admin show Tubby 100% support.:clap::clap:

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I don't really see it as troubling, as Tubby's given no indication he's interested in these other positions. Other coaches, like Mason and OSU, Monson and Washington (or was it WSU...who cares?) did show interest. I haven't seen Tubby show interest in any of these schools.

As far as being a frozen wasteland - so is about 1/3 of the country. Most of the Midwest, and out East are going to have cold, snowy, winters. I just don't buy that as a huge deterrent when you're in the gym from October to April.

I too - was hoping for a coach that would build a program here like Coach K did at Duke - but let's be honest, those coaches are few and far between. It's not like Tubby's one step in the grave, he's healthy, has energy, and still has a drive to win.

If it's not troubling, then why am I so troubled?!? :eek:

The way Myron put it this morning in the Strib was pretty apt: "But he hasn't wed himself to the program, the community or the university -- to the satisfaction of some supporters..." I think this goes beyond a local inferiority complex, i.e. 'are we good enough for him?'. We just haven't gotten the overt or subtle signals that he's in, that he's committed. It doesn't help that he's already bolted from three other universities.

As far as the frozen wasteland thing, I have a colleague who's originally from Alabama, and I asked her if we were a frozen wasteland. Her reply: "Well, sort of." And she went on to say that, unlike other areas that get cold weather on occasion (east coast), we are subject to extremes being in the middle of the continent. Our cold can be and often is a protracted, severe cold. Additionally, the range in temps from cold to hot are among the greatest in the world. In many respects, we're similar to Siberia, which is considered - you guessed it - a frozen wasteland.

Someone once told me that, whatever it is you have, embrace it. If we're a frozen wasteland, embrace the frozen wasteland. Whatever else we are - both positive and negative - embrace it. Ultimately, Tubby will have to decide whether to embrace living here and working for the U or not embrace all of that. Until that occurs, he's going to be a perpetual flight risk.

Not trying to debate, GL; just making conversation.

Top Bottom