Hey Doogie, how bout that mediocre Big 10?

go4rob

Reaction score
another final 4 appearance by the "mediocre" Big 10. Must be those easy match-ups they keep getting. I still can't believe the every single local sports media person calls the Big 10 mediocre in BB. unreal.,...yet every single year that have 3 to 4 making the Sweet 16 and at least one in the Final Four.

go4

another final 4 appearance by the "mediocre" Big 10. Must be those easy match-ups they keep getting. I still can't believe the every single local sports media person calls the Big 10 mediocre in BB. unreal.,...yet every single year that have 3 to 4 making the Sweet 16 and at least one in the Final Four.

Perhaps it is every single local sports media person that is mediocre?

:)

4th best conference in the country is what I have said for a while, and still believe that, which by the way is pretty goof ... Tom Izzo is fantastic (easily can make the case that he is the best in the country), but it also helped that they didn't have to play a 1, 2, or 3 seed. It's all about match-ups in the tourney.

Not to mention MSU is missing arguably their best player and starting point guard, which is the most important position on the floor IMO.

4th best conference in the country is what I have said for a while, and still believe that, which by the way is pretty goof ... Tom Izzo is fantastic (easily can make the case that he is the best in the country), but it also helped that they didn't have to play a 1, 2, or 3 seed. It's all about match-ups in the tourney.

I agree. That is a pretty goof assessment. And it also helped the teams that they were facing that they didn't have Kalin Lucas, yet they still made it all the way to the final 4.

Section201 -- I will be in at 1500 on a weekend coming up ... You have an invite to host for a segment ... you want it? If you can do better, here's your chance :)

Have you all not realized that Doogie knows almost nothing about basketball?

Section201 -- I will be in at 1500 on a weekend coming up ... You have an invite to host for a segment ... you want it? If you can do better, here's your chance :)

Oooooh. Burn.

You showed him...he doesn't make nothing money working for a two-bit local "sports" station. Way to put him in his place.

Will this be the fourth or fifth time you get canned from a terrible job with a terrible news outlet in this market? That's a "when" not "if" question?

Oooooh. Burn.

You showed him...he doesn't make nothing money working for a two-bit local "sports" station. Way to put him in his place.

Will this be the fourth or fifth time you get canned from a terrible job with a terrible news outlet in this market? That's a "when" not "if" question?

Low blow. Argue the point, but no need to make personal attacks on his career. I personally disagree with the BT being the 4th ranked conference, I can argue that...but Doogie has accomplished a lot in his career, and he's not in an easy field. And last time I checked, getting laid off was not being canned.

I also wouldn't call Channel 5 a two-bit local "sports" station, it's not like it's ESPN 8, the "Ocho" ;).

There are a lot of people on this board that have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to the Big Televen (among other things). By some of the crybaby logic on here, the Horizon League is tied for the best conference on earth.

The reality is that THIS was the year the Big Ten seemed like it had an opportunity to be regarded as 'the best' in college bball... even I bought into it... no way was the Big East going to be better than the Big Ten in 2009-10... the actual results are in (for you nutcases out there, that means that just because a team wins the nat'l championship does not mean their conference was the best this year) and the three that made it to the Sweet Sixteen came through during the regular season. Wisconsin, even with their grotesque style of 'play', did better than some thought they would. After that, there's nothing. Minnesota, Illinois failed to live up to expectations. Even midway into conference play, we again heard talk about how Northwestern might finally make it... and entering the year, there were thoughts of last year's 'champion' Penn State team making it... didn't happen, not even close.

Michigan was going to be tough this year, too.. except when they had Minnesota as their opponent, they were brutal. Iowa was consistent with expectations... some dreamed Tan Crean would lead II, II to some drastic improvement this year... but he's being exposed.

The Big Ten again was mediocre this year.. and compared to expectations, they underperformed.

As for Doofie, he seems to be a nice dorky guy. I wouldn't take his analysis for more than a average young joe sharing his thoughts, but if he did call the Big Ten mediocre, he's correct on that one. My only beef with the kid is his addressing people by their first name nonstop when talking to them.. sounds like a rookie salesmen session.

I do hope Doodie offers me the same deal he offered Section201. I haven't been on air for several years.

Mr. Dawson

My first reaction to your response was, "huh?" as I had no idea who "Doogie" is or was. Now that I looked into "Doogie", respectfully, I am :D.

I never heard of you! :D

Perhaps you are just a little bit sensitive for a being "a member of the 4th estate" ?

That all being said, best of luck in the future. I wish you well.

As the STRIB proves, even mediocre sports journalists can make good money.

There are a lot of people on this board that have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to the Big Televen (among other things). By some of the crybaby logic on here, the Horizon League is tied for the best conference on earth.

The Big Ten again was mediocre this year.. and compared to expectations, they underperformed.

Nice strawman argument on the Horizon League. Care to address the points made about the Big East and their bed-sh!tting in the tourney? They got every advantage in seeding and bracketing, but only 1 team showed up.

Whether you care to admit it or not, results matter son. The Big Ten exceeded expectations in the tournament. Period. Expectations change over the course of the year, you're argument about November expectations is ridiculous. While I agree that this season set up for a big year from the conference, things changed. Hummel going down ended Purdue's at a national title, all of the drama with the Gophs, Michigan's terrible year, etc. And by January all the "experts" like you and Doogie were screaming about the reign of the Big East.

Well Gold boy...it didn't quite play out that way did it? The final results, which matter more than all the intraconference games in your terrible conference, say the Big East sucks.

GW

The reality is that THIS was the year the Big Ten seemed like it had an opportunity to be regarded as 'the best' in college bball... even I bought into it... no way was the Big East going to be better than the Big Ten in 2009-10... the actual results are in (for you nutcases out there, that means that just because a team wins the nat'l championship does not mean their conference was the best this year) and the three that made it to the Sweet Sixteen came through during the regular season. Wisconsin, even with their grotesque style of 'play', did better than some thought they would. After that, there's nothing. Minnesota, Illinois failed to live up to expectations. Even midway into conference play, we again heard talk about how Northwestern might finally make it... and entering the year, there were thoughts of last year's 'champion' Penn State team making it... didn't happen, not even close.

Michigan was going to be tough this year, too.. except when they had Minnesota as their opponent, they were brutal. Iowa was consistent with expectations... some dreamed Tan Crean would lead II, II to some drastic improvement this year... but he's being exposed.

As for Doofie, he seems to be a nice dorky guy. I wouldn't take his analysis for more than a average young joe sharing his thoughts, but if he did call the Big Ten mediocre, he's correct on that one. My only beef with the kid is his addressing people by their first name nonstop when talking to them.. sounds like a rookie salesmen session.

I do hope Doodie offers me the same deal he offered Section201. I haven't been on air for several years.

GW,

That works for me as I have zero interest in his offer and I am sure you would be 1000 times more interesting than me!

I am after all, a mediocre poster at GH, at best.

Nice strawman argument on the Horizon League. Care to address the points made about the Big East and their bed-sh!tting in the tourney? They got every advantage in seeding and bracketing, but only 1 team showed up.

Whether you care to admit it or not, results matter son. The Big Ten exceeded expectations in the tournament. Period. Expectations change over the course of the year, you're argument about November expectations is ridiculous. While I agree that this season set up for a big year from the conference, things changed. Hummel going down ended Purdue's at a national title, all of the drama with the Gophs, Michigan's terrible year, etc. And by January all the "experts" like you and Doogie were screaming about the reign of the Big East.

Well Gold boy...it didn't quite play out that way did it? The final results, which matter more than all the intraconference games in your terrible conference, say the Big East sucks.

This is precisely what I mean when I say 'chip on their shoulders' about the Big Televen. The Big East isn't my conference. It was just better this year than the Big Ten, that's all. Results do matter - that's why 8 teams (50%) of the Big East made the tourney and 5 more made a postseason tournament (81+%).

If you want some help on grasping the difference between "your" and "you're", PM me - we can meet for a beer when you become of age and I'll give you a lesson. I'm not sure what you want to argue.. do you want to keep making excuses for the Big Ten, as if the Big East had no injuries or issues? You'll lose on that one.

I've never talked about the reign of the Big East.. it's just a better conference again this year. 2009-10 was not a great year of college bball if you're looking for a 'reign' and domination. It was there for the taking, and the Big Ten didn't take it. We could get more detailed, such as Marquette losing to a preseason top 10 team, Louisville losing to a champion from a 'power' conference, or ... *** forbid matchups such as Villanova... but if your perspective is that the Big East 'sucks' as you say, then I'll pass.

Section201 said:
That works for me as I have zero interest in his offer and I am sure you would be 1000 times more interesting than me!

I am after all, a mediocre poster at GH, at best.

OK... so just accept and then I'll have you pass along my contact info to Doozie. PS - you're wrong on the mediocre evaluation... 4* easily, 5* potential, top performer

Oooooh. Burn.

Too afraid to attach your real name to this post? Enjoy hiding behind your moniker?

Nadine -- Thanks!

Mr. Doogie

Based on new information I might be willing to accept your offer under "certain conditions".

Section201 -- I like it :) I have always enjoyed your posts on here ... It is clear that you are very knowledgeable.

Low blow. Argue the point, but no need to make personal attacks on his career. I personally disagree with the BT being the 4th ranked conference, I can argue that...but Doogie has accomplished a lot in his career, and he's not in an easy field. And last time I checked, getting laid off was not being canned.

I also wouldn't call Channel 5 a two-bit local "sports" station, it's not like it's ESPN 8, the "Ocho" ;).

NEVER, NEVER underestimate the power of the OCHO. I think the Big Ten was disrespected this year, glad to see Izzo get his team back. MSU is my second favorite team in the Big Ten thanks to friends who are alums and great travel experiences in E Lansing for games and work. Hoping Tubby can take us to that promised land soon.

Doogie- if you can really give a guest segment out, could we get Wren back to do one? I'd love to see if he could fill a whole segment without taking a breath. I'd say Loon, but those FCC penalties can be big, especially when doled out by the handful.

Not consistent..

The Big Ten again was mediocre this year.. and compared to expectations, they underperformed. .

I'm sorry, these are two completely mutually exclusive statements, or rather, one does not necessarily mean the other.

I'll be the first one to say that the Big Ten underperformed compared to expectations. Michigan fell off the map, Illinois really stumbled down the stretch, and who knows what happened to Penn State who was supposed to be a strong 6 or 7th place team. The Gophers, with the White and Mbakwe scenarios coming down prior to them ever taking the court in October, they never really seemed to get out of the gate and Nolen's debacle did not help either. For that matter, you don't think a healthy Hummel makes a difference for the Boilermakers?

But "mediocre" is ridiculous. Perhaps mediocre is a power conference having 8 (half) teams make the tournament and only one make the Elite Eight?

I have no argument that the BT did not live up to expectations this year (for several teams, not necessarily through fault of their own), but to say that that translates into mediocrity, is a ridiculous argument. Credibility = Not quite there

Mr. Doogie

Section201 -- I like it :) I have always enjoyed your posts on here ... It is clear that you are very knowledgeable.

Thank You. I got a good chuckle from your "compliment".
You forgot the little "winkie" emoticon. ;)

Here are my conditions.

Extend "my" invite to Gopher Warrior instead of me. He is far more knowledgable and articulate and would be a superior representative of the GH than I could ever be. I would add nothing to your show. Heck, I don't even know what show you are talking about!

respctfly,
Section201

I'm sorry, these are two completely mutually exclusive statements, or rather, one does not necessarily mean the other.

Absolutely.

Ogee Oglethorpe said:
I'll be the first one to say that the Big Ten underperformed compared to expectations.

But "mediocre" is ridiculous.

I have no argument that the BT did not live up to expectations this year (for several teams, not necessarily through fault of their own), but to say that that translates into mediocrity, is a ridiculous argument. Credibility = Not quite there

I don't recall seeing an argument of 'failing to live up to expectations translates into mediocrity' anywhere... where can this 'ridiculous argument' that you're upset about be found?

I'd argue that, with respect to the Big Ten falling short of expectations, there are some subjective criteria we could look at.. but we already agree on that. As for being mediocre... it's quite subjective, but does require one to look at expectations and the performance of others in some respects. We may disagree and both be correct, depending on our definition of mediocre.

When, as a 'power conference', there are four teams that are very good, two that are praying for a chance, and a lot of bad teams in a conference of 11, that sure sounds like mediocrity (my definition... you may have a different definition) when you're talking about the conference as a whole.

My questions for you would include:

1) the one previously asked - where did you see someone arguing that failing to live up to expectations translates into mediocrity?
2) Since you don't believe the Big Ten was mediocre this year.. what were they? And what is the measuring stick(s)?
3) When talking about teams not living up to their expectations, you said it was not necessarily through fault of their own... who is at no fault... what is 'no fault'? Should we add some wins to the official records, or asterisk it? What bizarre things far from the realm of normalcy have happened?

We could get more detailed, such as Marquette losing to a preseason top 10 team, Louisville losing to a champion from a 'power' conference, or ... *** forbid matchups such as Villanova... but if your perspective is that the Big East 'sucks' as you say, then I'll pass.

This is ridiculous. You make some salient points, then you post this tripe. Your (or is it you're) awesome Gold lost to a #11 seed and Louisville lost to a #9. Use preseason rankings to justify it if you want, they have little to do with how well teams are playinig in March. That's a crap argument and you know it. The Gophers were preseason top 15 in several polls, how'd that work out?

And I don't think citing Nova is going to go very far in defending an overrated argument. The only reason they didn't lose to Morgan St. is due to the handjob they got from the refs.

Thanks for the grammar lesson too. I'd love to compare degrees and resumes with you. Anytime.

I don't think that the B10 is the best conference, but it sure isn't 4th like Dougie thinks. And the RESULTS of the national tournament proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it also isn't the Big East. Even the ESPN pundits finally admit that.

Too afraid to attach your real name to this post? Enjoy hiding behind your moniker?

Awesome. This is a message board. All normal people post anonymously here on the interwebs.

Which makes me wonder why you signed up using your cool nickname. Did you think that people would be impressed that the guy that got sh1t-canned from KFAN is posting here? He must know his stuff...he worked for a sports radio station in the 16th largest market in the country. WOW! We're all lucky to have access to that kind of knowledge.

Your opinions are still as worthless and uninformed now as they were then, we are just blessed to hear them more because your boss isn't here to only allow you 30 seconds of sports update time per hour. Too bad.

This is ridiculous. You make some salient points, then you post this tripe. Your (or is it you're) awesome Gold lost to a #11 seed and Louisville lost to a #9. Use preseason rankings to justify it if you want, they have little to do with how well teams are playinig in March. That's a crap argument and you know it. The Gophers were preseason top 15 in several polls, how'd that work out?

That was not the argument. You're seeing things that are not there.

GoGoGophers said:
And I don't think citing Nova is going to go very far in defending an overrated argument. The only reason they didn't lose to Morgan St. is due to the handjob they got from the refs.

Thanks for the grammar lesson too. I'd love to compare degrees and resumes with you. Anytime.

Huh? Overrated argument? Ogee O. is going to have his/her way with you - you're arguing that citing Nova as an example of a bad matchup in the tournament is the same as arguing that the Big East was not overrated? You're type Mike Greenwell. As for the tough guy talk (i.e., Anytime.), it's cute but stupid. Resumes? So... you want to tell me about your educational background, employment and income? I might want a picture first, sister (I'm assuming you're a chick based on your posts). Nonetheless, if you want to pick a judge we can meet next weekend for a drink and the judge will decide who has a 'better degree and resume' and the winner gets $500 from the loser. Let me know. 'Anytime'.

GoGoGophers said:
I don't think that the B10 is the best conference, but it sure isn't 4th like Dougie thinks. And the RESULTS of the national tournament proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it also isn't the Big East. Even the ESPN pundits finally admit that.

You are explicitly saying that the Big 10 was the 2nd or 3rd best conference.... (and that the BEast is lower than whatever the Big 10 is).. interesting. Amazing the confidence the overtime game and a buzzer beater of your rivals can give some people.

if you think about it the big ten lost argueably 3 of their top 5 players this year (hummel, lucas, koble). I think that happens to the ACC or big east and they would be receiving a lot more sympathy then what the big ten is getting. Not to mention the rollercoaster we went through, but that wasnt injury related

Awesome. This is a message board. All normal people post anonymously here on the interwebs.

Which makes me wonder why you signed up using your cool nickname. Did you think that people would be impressed that the guy that got sh1t-canned from KFAN is posting here? He must know his stuff...he worked for a sports radio station in the 16th largest market in the country. WOW! We're all lucky to have access to that kind of knowledge.

Your opinions are still as worthless and uninformed now as they were then, we are just blessed to hear them more because your boss isn't here to only allow you 30 seconds of sports update time per hour. Too bad.

Still too afraid, huh? When have I ever suggested that working at any radio station makes me above anyone else on here?
Worthless I will give you if you so choose, but uninformed = NO ... I work very hard ... and come on, at least have the guts if you are going to take personal shots to attach your name.

Doogie - first off, I used to listen to you and Chad almost on a daily basis...was pretty bummed when that show got destroyed. Now I don't really even listen to KFAN anymore.

Anyway - two things you do on here bug me (and neither of them have ever been directed at me, but I notice it all the time). When people ask you for facts or disagree, you resort to two defenses - 1) ask them for their real name to be posted publicly; and 2) basically say why don't they try your job to see if they can do better (like asking them to host on the radio).

First of all, many people have legitimate reasons for not wanting their name posted on an internet message board. You have an inherently public job and having your name out there is part of the job. Not everyone is in that situation - you should respect that. I bet most people on here would have no problem telling you their name if it was in private or in person.

Regarding #2 - that would be like Tim Brewster challenging you to coach the team for a year and see how it goes (after you criticize him). Obviously you wouldn't do very well and that shouldn't be a surprise - you're not a professional coach. You have every right to criticize Brewster just like everyone on here has a right to criticize your journalistic abilities. You're a professional journalist/media member - you're held to a higher standard when it comes to spewing out rumors/opinions and not having them backed up with facts.

I know some of what you do is intended to stir the pot and boost interest in the work that you do (just like any columnist), but next time someone argues a point with you please don't resort to the above 2 defenses. Give us some facts to back up your opinion.

Having said all of this I also don't agree with those on here that are taking personal (cheap) shots at you.

Still too afraid, huh? When have I ever suggested that working at any radio station makes me above anyone else on here?
Worthless I will give you if you so choose, but uninformed = NO ... I work very hard ... and come on, at least have the guts if you are going to take personal shots to attach your name.

There are plenty of things that bothers me about you Doogie. But the one that bothers me the most is the you wanted to know everybody's name on here. I mean I'm not really understanding what you're getting at by bring this point up all the time. I haven't really yet, but if I do happen to say something that is against or opinion so much that you have to resort using that line on me, I'd be more than happy to tell you my real name. I guess I'd just like to know why you want it so bad?

Top Bottom