Reusse: Coaching situation at U ever more complicated

The one thing Reusse mentions that seems historically accurate and that we as Gopher fans are going to have to learn to live with is that Tubby Smith will entertain any and all serious offers from major schools. He's not the one to tell them "Not interested" until he hears and sees all the particulars. If I'm dealing with somebody like that in business I know it's a person I can get if the contract is right. The one thing Reusse mentions that seems historically inaccurate is that the article makes it sound as though the Gophers haven't won a conference basketball game for the last two or three years. Unless I misread, which could be. In that case please disregard the second point.

Another

PR article that states the obvious. Write someting new once Pat!

That was one of the very very few Reusse articles that I didn't mind, but that was only because I like that he made Maturi look bad.

Holy Cross

I'm shocked that Patrick wrote the article without mentioning Holy Cross.

All, in all not too bad an article by Reusse, and I'm one of his biggest critics.

However, I don't at all like how he paints this picture that Spring of 2007 was the 'halcyon days' of all things Gopher sports. That's NOT how it was. Was there some success on for hockey and women's hoops going in to 2007, sure. But football and hoops were in disarray. Maturi was attempting to wright the ship in that regard. He's done it with hoops. Football, not yet. But a wait and see attitude is still needed for at least one more season, I think.

I also don't like the notion that he presupposes that Maturi might 'sleep easier' if Tubby went to Oregon. Yeah, that's right Pat - Maturi took the job for a good nights rest. While that might be true (that Tubby gone would make things 'easier'), I think Maturi probably would sleep even better knowing the Gophers would be a perennial NCAA tournament-bound team, despite some of the other headaches associated with a high profile coach.

Of course, we could always email Maturi and ask him what he'd prefer. We know he gets back to us little people. I suspect I already know the answer though. Emailing Fat Pat to ask him what his beef is with the 'U' though? I doubt we'll ever hear back from him on that one...

A decent article which frames the situation at the U quite well. Maturi definitely on the hot seat, as he should be. Next year will not only be a critical year for 3 of his coaches (Lucia, Borton and Brewer), it will also be a big year for Maturi.

Top Bottom