ESPN says Tubby has spoken to Oregon.

Gopher Gold

Reaction score
Any truth to this or is ESPN just reading the local papers too?

Sorry for another one of these threads.

If he stays - I'll be happy. I don't want to go through this every freaking year though.

If he goes - he goes and I hope the next coach we get - this is his dream job.

Just end it - this is annoying

Glad to see there is not too much overreaction to this yet. We will never know if Tubby spoke to Oregon unless he takes the job. I hope he doesn't leave, but it's on Maturi and those above him to make Tubby want to stay.

Yeah completely agree. I obviously would like him to stay, but not at the expense of this Favre-ish offseason drama ever year.

If he goes- we either need to find a guy who believes Minnesota is a dream job, like you said, or someone who is overqualified, like a Flip Saunders, who I think someone mentioned earlier this week. Saunders NBA rep would be attractive for young guys thinking they're pro prospects, plus his background with the city.

If he stays - I'll be happy. I don't want to go through this every freaking year though.

If he goes - he goes and I hope the next coach we get - this is his dream job.

Just end it - this is annoying

I more or less agree. But I hope Maturi is doing what can be done to keep Tubby around. St. Johns came sniffing around Seth Greenburg, VT gave him a contract extension. Oregon went sniffing aroung Turgeon, they re-did his deal. Teams come sniffing around Tubby? Maturi says 'I won't know til he's already gone. We hope he stays.' But he does nothing to show it, the way other schools do.

I more or less agree. But I hope Maturi is doing what can be done to keep Tubby around. St. Johns came sniffing around Seth Greenburg, VT gave him a contract extension. Oregon went sniffing aroung Turgeon, they re-did his deal. Teams come sniffing around Tubby? Maturi says 'I won't know til he's already gone. We hope he stays.' But he does nothing to show it, the way other schools do.

But maybe Maturi just might be telling the truth - there is nothing more he can do and he's being honest. I don't know what the truth is but I don't think Maturi is just sitting on his hands either. I mean Maturi got him to come here in the first place - he has to know what he's doing to some degree.

I think Tubby will make this program great but I don't think he's there yet and I don't think he deserves more money because of these rumors. We aren't exactly setting the world on fire.

I love Gopher Basketball and always will but I feel like Tubby is playing us a bit this year. Either he's committed to the program or he's not. I would just like to have a coach that wants to be here you know? If that's him - great I'll support him until he retires. If not - it's better he moves on now IMO.

Yeah completely agree. I obviously would like him to stay, but not at the expense of this Favre-ish offseason drama ever year.

If he goes- we either need to find a guy who believes Minnesota is a dream job, like you said, or someone who is overqualified, like a Flip Saunders, who I think someone mentioned earlier this week. Saunders NBA rep would be attractive for young guys thinking they're pro prospects, plus his background with the city.

Flip has said more than once that coaching the Gophers would be his dream job.

But maybe Maturi just might be telling the truth - there is nothing more he can do and he's being honest. I don't know what the truth is but I don't think Maturi is just sitting on his hands either. I mean Maturi got him to come here in the first place - he has to know what he's doing to some degree.

I think Tubby will make this program great but I don't think he's there yet and I don't think he deserves more money because of these rumors. We aren't exactly setting the world on fire.

I love Gopher Basketball and always will but I feel like Tubby is playing us a bit this year. Either he's committed to the program or he's not. I would just like to have a coach that wants to be here you know? If that's him - great I'll support him until he retires. If not - it's better he moves on now IMO.

You can at minimum offer him a reasonable extension and slight raise. Brewster got one he didn't deserve. Tubby deserves the same treatment at minimum.

Maturi needs to get off his old ass and build the damn practice facility! At least put a plan in place or something. All it is just talk. It's been nothing but talk for 3 years. Tubby will have retired from the U by the time they get around to opening a new facility. It's looking like a 10 year plan right now. No wonder Tubby is pissed. There's an arm race in college hoops and the U is being left in the dust without much care it seems.

IMO - If he leaves because he feels he does not have the support of the AD(practice facility if it had been promised) then I would blast the AD. If he leaves for a new job for another reason, then I would put it on him.

Either way, I agree that he has denied rumors without putting the be all end all statement out there. I would like to hear "I am not considering or going to talk to any other schools, I am going to be at Minnesota" that would go a long way...

The only reason there are rumors is because of maturi's ineptitude. If tubby had all of his requests at least considered, he'd be ending the rumors post haste - ala hewitt saying no to st johns. he may very well love it here, but i can understand his frustrations when you give your all to a program for 3 years when on day 1 it was promised to give you a new facility and yet nothing is even started. They need to just get the groundwork going and i think he'll be happy.

for *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#s sake all maturi does is state vagaries and wish wash about everything going on. his 'honesty' amounts to him barely saying anything. i mean if he doesnt want to be blamed for the mishandling of the royce situation and now the facility he just needs to come out and *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing say something one way or another. all we ask for is a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing full out truth story. maybe he just wont give it to us because he knows he will just look like a fool

also, give him a raise and then some. he's gotten us back into being a contender in the first two years and if everything hadnt gone to *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# this year we would have been challenging forthe big ten title and would still mayb be alive in the ncaa...brewster has accomplished what...1-11, 7-5 (after 7-1?), and 6-6 i think.. hardly anything remotely considered good. he has been an utter disappointment and tubby has done nothing but improve

Well then Flip is the best of both worlds and should be considered a top candidate if Tubby bolts.

And he does not deserve a raise, not yet anyway. I'm not quite sure how you figure the gophers are contenders (unless you're talking solely big ten). If he wants to be paid like an elite coach, he should be bringing in a player of Cory Joseph's status every year, regardless of a shiny new facility.

The Gophers had made the big dance 2 years in a row. That's a big accomplishment considering how bleak things were before Tubby came. Also, Tubby leaving would decimate the program in the short term with a lot kids dropping commitments and transferring. No way Maturi would get another coach of Tubby's caliber. He'd have to get some middling mid major coach that no one has heard of. Tubby should get a raise. If not, then get a damn shovel and break ground on a new facility.

The Gophers had made the big dance 2 years in a row. That's a big accomplishment considering how bleak things were before Tubby came. Also, Tubby leaving would decimate the program in the short term with a lot kids dropping commitments and transferring. No way Maturi would get another coach of Tubby's caliber. He'd have to get some middling mid major coach that no one has heard of. Tubby should get a raise. If not, then get a damn shovel and break ground on a new facility.

It's ironic that Tubby has made the tourney two years in a row with Monson's players leading the way. He did not inherit a depleted roster.

I also don't understand the obsession with Flip Saunders. NBA coaching to college coaching is ducks to apples and why would he walk away from a $20M contract?

He told Larry Fitzgerald he's staying. Andy Katz said he's not leaving. We've been down this road before and found that he wasn't really serious about Virginia or Auburn.

If all of those are wrong, we'll move on and get a good coach. I like the direction the program is heading and hope Tubby stays. But if he leaves, it's not like we're losing a guy who won a tournament game.

Tubby leaving would decimate the program in the short term with a lot kids dropping commitments and transferring. No way Maturi would get another coach of Tubby's caliber. He'd have to get some middling mid major coach that no one has heard of.

That's a little fatalistic, don't you think? Look, if Tubby goes, that sucks, but it isn't over for us.

1) There won't be a big migration of players leaving.
2) Why would we get a no-name, middling coach? We have nearly $2 million in annual salary written into the budget right now, so I think we'd go get a good one.

It's ironic that Tubby has made the tourney two years in a row with Monson's players leading the way. He did not inherit a depleted roster.

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever read from you. And that's quite an accomplishment with the tripe that flies off your keyboard.

Do you get a rise out of posting the contrarian view to everything? That is the only explanation I can come up with, because you can't honestly believe that statement.

Would you like me to list the roster and the final record of the Dazzle Man's last team?

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever read from you. And that's quite an accomplishment with the tripe that flies off your keyboard.

Do you get a rise out of posting the contrarian view to everything? That is the only explanation I can come up with, because you can't honestly believe that statement.

Would you like me to list the roster and the final record of the Dazzle Man's last team?

It isn't THAT far out there. The top three scorers on this year's team were indeed Monson recruits.

So Monson gets the credit for the player that Damian is? Westbrook? They played one season under Dan (who didn't make it to January, BTW).
Monson gets the credit for the development of Nolen and Hoff, who never ran one suicide for Dan?

How about the tiny contributions from Devoe, RSIII, Iverson, Carter, et al.

And I don't think Jammer really wants to have an argument related to the contributions of JAS, Jonathan Williams, Payton, and Busch to the 08-09 team.

He just wants to stir the pot with his bullsh!t and be the guy that doesn't toe the party line.

Reliable source told me the conversation went like this -

Oregon: Coach Smith we have an opening for someone to lead our outstanding basketball program. We are intent on building something great in Oregon and have started that by building world class facilities. Someone with your proven success and demonstrated high character would be a perfect fit. We are prepared to make you the highest paid college basketball coach in the nation. You would have the the full support of the Oregon athletic department. Can we meet to explain our vision and work up the details of an offer?

Tubby: Thank you for the interest. I have the utmost respect for the Oregon program and all of the people associated with it. I am happy in Minnesota and am committed to completing what I have started here. At this time I am not able to pursue your offer. I wish you the best of luck and I am sure you will find an excellent coach.

Oregon: Let us work up an offer. That way you can have all of the details before you make a decision.

Tubby: No thank you. But again, I do wish you the best of luck.

There - Oregon spoke with Tubby about their opening.

My source could be wrong. I have found them to be reliable, however they have not actually spoken with Tubby or anyone in Oregon.

GIT

Reliable source told me the conversation went like this -

Oregon: Coach Smith we have an opening for someone to lead our outstanding basketball program. We are intent on building something great in Oregon and have started that by building world class facilities. Someone with your proven success and demonstrated high character would be a perfect fit. We are prepared to make you the highest paid college basketball coach in the nation. You would have the the full support of the Oregon athletic department. Can we meet to explain our vision and work up the details of an offer?

Tubby: Thank you for the interest. I have the utmost respect for the Oregon program and all of the people associated with it. I am happy in Minnesota and am committed to completing what I have started here. At this time I am not able to pursue your offer. I wish you the best of luck and I am sure you will find an excellent coach.

Oregon: Let us work up an offer. That way you can have all of the details before you make a decision.

Tubby: No thank you. But again, I do wish you the best of luck.

There - Oregon spoke with Tubby about their opening.

My source could be wrong. I have found them to be reliable, however they have not actually spoken with Tubby or anyone in Oregon.

LOL.

I expect Myron to quote you by Tuesday as "a source close to the situation" !

:)

Regarding giving Tubby a raise...I thought his contract called for a $250,000 payment beginning this year towards his retirement account...that makes his comp package over $2 million...he is one of the highest paid coaches in the big ten and the US....how much more is Oregon or Gtech going to be able to pay?

I really think the reason he doesn't flat out say he is here till retirement is because he loses all his bargaining power on his next contract and on forcing the AD to build his practice facility if he does. I for one would rather have Tubby in a position to get the facility done than not...I don't mind the rumors...tell Maturi to get the practice facility built and they all end!

I know what let's do...Let's organize a rumor mill, because I heard a rumor that there are lots of rumors out there.

You can at minimum offer him a reasonable extension and slight raise. Brewster got one he didn't deserve. Tubby deserves the same treatment at minimum.

howeda, Brew's extension was a win for the University. Extended term helps recruiting, no raise in yearly salary, reduced buyout in case they need to cut ties with him this year, and all the bonus money tied to success. It was a good deal that cost the U nothing.

A good deal in Tubby's case will not cost the U nothing. The two contract situations really are not synonymous at all.

howeda, Brew's extension was a win for the University. Extended term helps recruiting, no raise in yearly salary, reduced buyout in case they need to cut ties with him this year, and all the bonus money tied to success. It was a good deal that cost the U nothing.

A good deal in Tubby's case will not cost the U nothing. The two contract situations really are not synonymous at all.

Is keeping Tubby a win for the University? Showing that you want him to stay is the whole point of doing the extension. If that keeps him from going to Oregon it's worth it. The size of Tubby's buyout is highly unlikely to ever be an issue. And bumping his salary a bit is not unwarranted.

Brewster's deal didn't harm the U, but it also did very little good since they didn't get it done til signing day was passed anyway. The point is that Tubby's been here 3 years, it's reasonable to give him one as well.

Why would any coach who feels larger than the job, has the ability to leave or stay as he wishes and possibly the inclination to go somewhere else care about an extension? A nice gesture, but pushing the wrong button. It's like being confronted by a hungry grizzly and offering it a mint. Unless there is something going on that we don't know about, it looks like Tubby wanted an upgrade in facilities (remember he initially mentioned a newer game day venue) and well, more money is always meaningful. So IMO if Maturi wants to make a splash he does something concrete about the facilities and offers more than a token raise. Then maybe the extension would mean something.

BTW: I don't agree Brewster did not deserve a raise. It's been only three seasons. I see improvement in the approach to competition, type of competition, the roster and overall excitement level. If that transfers to a couple of good seasons next year and in '11 we'll all be worrying about keeping him too. In fact, I'm going to save a few of these "undeserving" posts just in case you all start moaning about losing our FB coach a couple of years down the road.

Why would any coach who feels larger than the job, has the ability to leave or stay as he wishes and possibly the inclination to go somewhere else care about an extension? A nice gesture, but pushing the wrong button. It's like being confronted by a hungry grizzly and offering it a mint. Unless there is something going on that we don't know about, it looks like Tubby wanted an upgrade in facilities (remember he initially mentioned a newer game day venue) and well, more money is always meaningful. So IMO if Maturi wants to make a splash he does something concrete about the facilities and offers more than a token raise. Then maybe the extension would mean something.

BTW: I don't agree Brewster did not deserve a raise. It's been only three seasons. I see improvement in the approach to competition, type of competition, the roster and overall excitement level. If that transfers to a couple of good seasons next year and in '11 we'll all be worrying about keeping him too. In fact, I'm going to save a few of these "undeserving" posts just in case you all start moaning about losing our FB coach a couple of years down the road.

You could say that about any coach who has flirtations with other schools and then signs an extension where he is. Why did Seth Greenburg need an extension at Va Tech after talking to St. Johns this week? Why did Mark Turgeon need one after talking to Oregon. It's about your school showing they want you, rather then just saying it, and it's about a little extra money as well.

As for whether Brew deserved his extension, I'll leave that for the football board.

Top Bottom