Iowa's coaching search

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
A caveat before I post this bit from Jeff Goodman's blog-when Wisconsin hired Bo Ryan, it seemed pretty underwhelming and it's obviously worked out fine for them. But when I saw this list of candidates for the Hawkeyes, I almost felt a little sorry for the Iowa brethren. Almost.

IOWA CANDIDATES

While Dayton's Brian Gregory continues to win games in the NIT and slow things down for Iowa's search to replace Todd Lickliter, the Hawkeyes have spoken to other candidates.

Iowa has interviewed Utah's Jim Boylen, Wright State's Brad Brownell and Murray State's Billy Kennedy, according to multiple sources.

Tulsa's Doug Wojcik is said to be in the mix as well.

It seems as though the fanbase wants Steve Forbes, assistant and head recruiter for Pearl at Tennessee. Apparently he is an Iowa boy.

Isn't Iowa a pretty good job? I would not want to live there, but if you paid me $1 million or so, I guess I would. I am a little confused about why it is a bunch of no names that seem to be in the running. Thoughts?

phan

I heard that tubby is probably going to go there

I was amused that Tubby's name had not popped up. That shows how bad the Iowa situation is now. It doesn't seem like college hoops coaches leave a job for another job in the same conference. I can't recall that happenning lately in any of the larger conferences.

I was amused that Tubby's name had not popped up. That shows how bad the Iowa situation is now. It doesn't seem like college hoops coaches leave a job for another job in the same conference. I can't recall that happenning lately in any of the larger conferences.

Does Tubby Smith from Georgia to Kentucky in teh SEC ring a bell? Perhaps it's not recent, but it's not ancient history, either.

HM

Does Tubby Smith from Georgia to Kentucky in teh SEC ring a bell? Perhaps it's not recent, but it's not ancient history, either.

Yup, even at May of 1997 that qualifies.

Let me ask another: When was the last time a Big Ten hoops head coach jumped to another Big Ten head coach job?

:)

I heard from a very reliable source who is close to the situation that millions2spare has been interviewed for the job.

Let me ask another: When was the last time a Big Ten hoops head coach jumped to another Big Ten head coach job?

Do not know if ever. I do remember when Voelz raided Illinois for Hebert as volleyball coach, and wondering if that was violating an unwritten rule by staying in the conference.

I take it they have a practice facility and are going to drop all other sports besides basketball and football?

Mulligan, from what I understand, Iowa will also keep rasslin'.

I would assume the Hawkeyes were trying to get Ben Jacobson on the phone as of last night? That being said, has the UNI to ISU coaching transition worked out all that well?

I would assume the Hawkeyes were trying to get Ben Jacobson on the phone as of last night? That being said, has the UNI to ISU coaching transition worked out all that well?

Jacobson(sen?) just signed a 10 year extension at UNI, I believe.

I'm not sure. There's definately an unwritten rule against it in most conferences. It was widely speculated that Indiana would steal Alford from Iowa, but it never happened. Tubby going from UGA to Kentucky is about the only basketball example I can think of. The NC State football coach came from BC in the ACC as well. Tommy Tuberville went from Ole Miss to Auburn back when.

Kevin O'Neill from Arizona to USC this past year.

Not sure if it qualifies since it was interim and didn't seem like AZ wanted to keep him, but still. :)

I would assume the Hawkeyes were trying to get Ben Jacobson on the phone as of last night?

I hope not. I've been watching games with scoring in the 50's and IA going long stretches without making field goals for three years. Pass.

Ozzie Cowles

Ozzie Cowles from Michigan to Minnesota 1948-When we almost had John Wooden

I heard from a very reliable source who is close to the situation that millions2spare has been interviewed for the job.

If m2s got the job the first thing he would do is fire the AD.

That's what my sources are saying.

Fran McCaffery to Iowa should be official soon.

Guess we'll be facing a first year coach next year when we take on Siena.

Fran McCaffery to Iowa should be official soon.

Guess we'll be facing a first year coach next year when we take on Siena.

Poor St. Johns. They are really scraping the bottom of the barrel now. Good for Iowa. Not the sexiest hire, but they could have done much worse.

Poor St. Johns. They are really scraping the bottom of the barrel now. Good for Iowa. Not the sexiest hire, but they could have done much worse.

I agree. Considering the situation in Iowa City (bad team, poor attendance, a lot of current apathy amongst Hawkeye fans), McCaffery is a good choice. He's done a nice job with Siena. It'll interesting to see where Iowa is at in a couple of years.

The obvious question is, "Would that make Tubby a Sienna target?"

:rolleyes:

Definitely. This also means he won't be going to Iowa.

The positive news is that we'll only have to face Tubby once next year instead of twice.

I agree. Considering the situation in Iowa City (bad team, poor attendance, a lot of current apathy amongst Hawkeye fans), McCaffery is a good choice. He's done a nice job with Siena. It'll interesting to see where Iowa is at in a couple of years.

He's taken 3 teams to the NCAA tourney - all of which were from 1 bid conferences so it appears he can coach. Time will tell if he can recruit.

On a local note his wife was named Star Tribune Women's Metro Player of the year in 1988. Margaret Nowlin played for CDH.

He's taken 3 teams to the NCAA tourney - all of which were from 1 bid conferences so it appears he can coach. Time will tell if he can recruit.

On a local note his wife was named Star Tribune Women's Metro Player of the year in 1988. Margaret Nowlin played for CDH.

I agree on the recruiting thing. As Lickliter found out, recruiting to a program like Iowa in a conference like the Big Ten is a bit different from recruiting to a school like Butler or a school like Siena. Anyway, I hope the Hawkeye faithful at least give the guy a chance and be patient with him. I would say the Hawks are at least two years away from being competitive.

There was a hawk seen flying by Tubby's house, which must mean that he is going to be the Hawkeyes new coach.

Top Bottom