The obvious and the what then.

balds

Reaction score
1) Nolen returns. Almost a given, I would think.

2) Mbakwe is cleared.

3) Royce joins team. My personal opinion: A year lost is plenty of time served for a misdemeanor shoplifting and a 5th degree misdemeanor trespassing. Let's roll.

4) Cory Joseph. Based on last year, Al has no inside track on minutes played. If Cory comes, it is open season for PG minutes, in my opinion.

For a moment, let's imagine the possibilities:

C- Sampson III, Iverson, Elliason (rs)
F- Mbakwe, White, Williams, Carter, Hollins (rs)
G- Joseph, Joseph, Nolen, Hoffarber, Nolen, Cobbs

The not so obvious: What happens if.....

1) Nolen flunks out, again.

2) Mbakwe isn't cleared and dismissed from the program

3) Royce goes on tour, plays in Europe, or vanishes off the face of the earth like Walker Ashley.

4) Cory Joseph goes to Villinova, UCONN, or TX.

I thought Royce White quit. Who wants a quitter on their team? Is this Dan Monson/Mo Hargrowe all over again?

Why in the world would Tubby allow a quitter back on the team? What kind of message does that send to the rest of the guys? What a fraud he would be if RW ever wears a Gopher uniform.

I thought Royce White quit. Who wants a quitter on their team? Is this Dan Monson/Mo Hargrowe all over again?

Why in the world would Tubby allow a quitter back on the team? What kind of message does that send to the rest of the guys? What a fraud he would be if RW ever wears a Gopher uniform.

Ha! The players have openly supported Royce coming back from the beginning. The message would be "we are committed to winning and character development". How many times have you posted this exact same thing?

Art

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I respectfully disagree. This isn't 1964 and Royce isn't staying after class erasing chalkboards. He made a mistake and I think he payed for it (dearly). Move on man.

On the surface at least, it appears as though he quit to end the distraction to the team. Also, he was very frustrated with the UMPD, not Tubby or the basketball program.

Very different situation than Mo Hargrow.

Arthur, Arthur, Arthur...my my my but you have a pi$$y attitude about life. I am sure that your Mom and Dad gave up on you when you f'd up, which is why you have so much negative to post. C'mon, Arthur, part of coaching and athletics is to help steer potential BIG problems to a life of contributing for the good of the group. I am personnally very glad that my late Mom and Dad did not give up on me. If they had given up, so would have I. Instead, I became an authority on cold beer.

OMG !!!

OH MY GOD !!! I agree with ART!

:(

How is this different? Quitting is quitting. If RW was a true teammate he would've stayed in school and supported his teammates. He did neither. The going got tough and he took his ball and went home like the immature 18-19 year old he is.

LOL! There are so many people on this board talk out of both sides of their mouths. First, RW is a distraction and not worth the time and effort when he's not able to play. All of sudden he mentions he might consider coming back next year and everybody loves him again. All is forgotten. This happens at Iowa, Wisconsin, or another B10 program and the ninnies here would go nuts.

How is this different? Quitting is quitting. If RW was a true teammate he would've stayed in school and supported his teammates. He did neither. The going got tough and he took his ball and went home like the immature 18-19 year old he is.

LOL! There are so many people on this board talk out of both sides of their mouths. First, RW is a distraction and not worth the time and effort when he's not able to play. All of sudden he mentions he might consider coming back next year and everybody loves him again. All is forgotten. This happens at Iowa, Wisconsin, or another B10 program and the ninnies here would go nuts.

We disagree with everything you say, you disagree with everything everyone else says. Let's just leave it at that.

GOTRise

We disagree with everything you say, you disagree with everything everyone else says. Let's just leave it at that.

As much as I hate to say this, not quite everything.

If you quit school and/or quit the team, you quit.

To me that is the Rubicon.

However, it is just IMHO.

I agree as well. I won't lie...I'd take Royce back with open arms, but Royce is a quitter. He quit the team and school plain and simple.

I understand what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree. Royce is the only person that knows this for sure, but if the reason he quit the team was to erase the distraction to the team, then I think it was a selfless thing to do. It's not like the team was planning on suitting him up and the game plan all week was to give him the ball and then he just all of a sudden quit on the team. He wasn't going to play anyway, so all it did was remove the distraction. If Royce gets his act together and stays out of trouble then I would be more than happy to have him back on the team.

I understand what you're saying, but I respectfully disagree. Royce is the only person that knows this for sure, but if the reason he quit the team was to erase the distraction to the team, then I think it was a selfless thing to do. It's not like the team was planning on suitting him up and the game plan all week was to give him the ball and then he just all of a sudden quit on the team. He wasn't going to play anyway, so all it did was remove the distraction. If Royce gets his act together and stays out of trouble then I would be more than happy to have him back on the team.

My god it's amazing how people attempt to spin things on this board. :(

Why didn't Mbakwe quit then? He was a distraction too. According to your logic, he was being "selfish" by not quitting.

If RW wasn't a 5* recruit, we wouldn't even be discussing this. It's all about W's and if it means letting the inmates run the asylum by quitting on their coaches and teammates and then coming back whenever they want....then so be it. All is forgiven :clap:

I'm not sure whether White should come back or not I'll leave that to Tubby. But Art, there's a world of difference between quitting a team you ARE ON (as Hargrow did) and quitting a team you ARE NOT ON as is the case of White. Technically I don't think he actually quit the team, I think he really quit school.

What do you mean he wasn't on the team? He was listed on the roster and practiced - albeit only a handful of times. Like I said, it's amazing how everyone just looks the other way when it involves star players. That's just the way it is these days I guess....

Yes, quitting is quitting. But quitting for basketball reasons (Hargrow) and quitting for various other reasons (Royce) is not the same thing. I know you will disagree, and that is fine.

Please give me an example of where I was talking out of both sides of my mouth. Or please give an example of ANYONE doing that. Isn't it possible that certain people supported Royce all along and certain others did not? Unless you remember specific examples from specific posters, I have a feeling you are taking differing opinions from multiple posters and assuming that people have been altering their views based on which way the wind blows.

That's just the way it is these days I guess....

I'm sure that's what your parents said when you were young too. I agree. Let's go back to the good ole days. Then there wouldn't be an internet for you to pollute.

bga

I'm not sure whether White should come back or not I'll leave that to Tubby. But Art, there's a world of difference between quitting a team you ARE ON (as Hargrow did) and quitting a team you ARE NOT ON as is the case of White. Technically I don't think he actually quit the team, I think he really quit school.

Agreed, the Hargrow "quit" was worse in that it was midseason.

Techically I believe RW was still on the team though in a "suspended" status when he QUIT school. He most certainly was still on a basketball scholarship which he would still be on today if he had not QUIT.

If he had not QUIT we would not be having this discussion. But he did in fact, QUIT.

Why didn't Mbakwe quit then? He was a distraction too. According to your logic, he was being "selfish" by not quitting.

If RW wasn't a 5* recruit, we wouldn't even be discussing this. It's all about W's and if it means letting the inmates run the asylum by quitting on their coaches and teammates and then coming back whenever they want....then so be it. All is forgiven :clap:

Actually Royce and Mbakwe's situations were much different. If you asked someone who wasn't a Gopher fan who Trevor Mbakwe was they might not know the asnwer because he hasn't been in the news half as much as Royce. Everyone on the team knew Mbakwe wasn't going to be back this season, but that wasn't the case for Royce. It was a combination of constantly wondering when Royce was coming back and the fact that he was in the news a lot that made his situation more distracting than Mbakwe's. Mbakwe is NOT selfish for sticking with the team through everything. You say it's amazing how people attempt to spin things on this board. Please don't try to spin what I am saying.

By the way, how long have you been following this whole college basketball thing? Was it ever not about winning? Whether you like it or not, college basketball is a business. I'm going to take a wild guess and say you've been following it longer than I have, so it's surprising that you haven't caught on to that yet.

Why wouldn't Royce drop out of school...they weren't letting him play basketball. I certainly wouldn't give my time to an institution that wouldn't let me do the very thing I was brought in to do. I'd tell the U that as soon as they let me play on the team, I'll consider going back to class. Royce is a basketball player...college is of no use to him at this point.

Arthur, Arthur, Arthur...my my my but you have a pi$$y attitude about life. I am sure that your Mom and Dad gave up on you when you f'd up, which is why you have so much negative to post. C'mon, Arthur, part of coaching and athletics is to help steer potential BIG problems to a life of contributing for the good of the group. I am personnally very glad that my late Mom and Dad did not give up on me. If they had given up, so would have I. Instead, I became an authority on cold beer.
Actually the old man gave up early (about 20 minutes after conception) Ah sailors, you gotta love'um.

Actually the old man gave up early (about 20 minutes after conception) Ah sailors, you gotta love'um.

Mother V: You could have taught Art to be a sailor too ya know. When he first learned to walk you could have had him take a long walk off a short pier. I really like Art. But then I also like boils, athletes' foot, planter warts, and diarrhea.

Why wouldn't Royce drop out of school...they weren't letting him play basketball. I certainly wouldn't give my time to an institution that wouldn't let me do the very thing I was brought in to do. I'd tell the U that as soon as they let me play on the team, I'll consider going back to class. Royce is a basketball player...college is of no use to him at this point.

I sometimes worry for the future. Please tell me they didn't let you into my alma mater.

Personally I don't care if Royce comes back or not. If Tubby says he can come back, that is fine by me. But to pretend he "quit on the team" is ridiculous. He wasn't even allowed to hang around the team. If Mbakwe was not allowed to have any contact with the team do you really think that he would have stuck around school? Very unlikely. I thought Royce should have been able to practice all along. If he would have been suspended the entire year but allowed to at least practice, I would bet a lot he would still be on the team. I mean, the kid stole some pants and was a dip*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# in the dorms, hardly illegal or reserved for Royce White. That's really about the extent of his transgressions. (I don't buy the trespassing crap and the disorderly conduct at all.)

If Tubby wants him back and he stays out of trouble then I have absolutely no problem with him coming back.

Hahahaha, you of all people talking about spinning things on here. This is actually one of your more decent arguments (Royce quitting, not the terrible Mbakwe comparison), but the majority of your arguments consist of out of context statements, exaggerations that you use to attempt to make your argument appear stronger, and you almost never address the counterarguments.

100% agree. If RW was a fringe player, he would be long forgotten on this board. Instead, he is still the savior that will bring us to new heights, even though he never played here, odds are he never will, and is not even enrolled.

Although I personally think college BB is about wins, so if he wanted to play and he gets admitted into school, I say let him play.

1) Nolen returns. Almost a given, I would think.

2) Mbakwe is cleared.

3) Royce joins team. My personal opinion: A year lost is plenty of time served for a misdemeanor shoplifting and a 5th degree misdemeanor trespassing. Let's roll.

4) Cory Joseph. Based on last year, Al has no inside track on minutes played. If Cory comes, it is open season for PG minutes, in my opinion.

For a moment, let's imagine the possibilities:

C- Sampson III, Iverson, Elliason (rs)
F- Mbakwe, White, Williams, Carter, Hollins (rs)
G- Joseph, Joseph, Nolen, Hoffarber, Nolen, Cobbs

The not so obvious: What happens if.....

1) Nolen flunks out, again.

2) Mbakwe isn't cleared and dismissed from the program

3) Royce goes on tour, plays in Europe, or vanishes off the face of the earth like Walker Ashley.

4) Cory Joseph goes to Villinova, UCONN, or TX.

Nolan will be back, Mbakwe will be in jail, Royce will vanish like WLA, and Cory will be a Gopher

Top Bottom