Marcus adds his version of the Oregon rumors

I was just going to put that up as well.

"They really want him; (Nike chairman) Phil Knight wants to get him there pretty bad," the person said about Smith. "There's a lot of pressure with that job, but the program has the backing he wants."

There's a lot more in the article but maybe there was some truth to what Reusse said.

Excuse me while I go and throwup after thinking that fat ass is correct about something Gopher related.

Of course on second thought it was Marcus who put up his long article about Tubby going to Georgia Tech along side Myron's.

Folks...where there's smoke, there is fire. Cannot put our heads in the sand. The good news, Oregon is not head and shoulders above our program. Facilities yes...but not for recruiting. Weather is not as cold but not warm and sunny.

I'd be more worried about GA Tech which is now dead. Hopefully we dodge a bullet this year and the practice facility gets more legs...coupled with a solid year next season and Tubby stops listening. Like it or not, he will likely have his people listen (different than him listening..thus can deny stuff in press) as long as he is not comfortable with Minnesota's investment in the hoops program.

Why doesn't Marcus put in his article that Mark Few is pretty much the front runner for the job?

Tubby will never get the backing here that he wants. Winning or having a a power program is just not that important the U. I am not saying to the athletic department but to the Board of Regents, Admissions Office and other such powers the winning isn't important.

They may want to be competitive and all that but never having a program that might let in some recruits that are borderline or finding a way to come up with funding for a practice facility is not a priority.

Blizzard,

Mark Few apparently was approached about it either last year or the year before and he didn't show much interest.

Could still end up being Few, but there hasn't been all much talk about him.

Why doesn't Marcus put in his article that Mark Few is pretty much the front runner for the job?

That's a relevant point here. Another relevant point: Phil Knight is not the AD or the president at Oregon. In other words, while his word will carry some weight, he won't make the final decision, regardless of how high and mighty Mr. Nike is. And at this point, I'm not concerned about Oregon. Why? Because everything I've heard and read indicates they've already had four interviews and I doubt that Tubby was one of them, unless it was a phone interview. On top of that, the Oregon press seems to be indicating that the leaders for the job are Mark Turgeon, Jamie Dixon and Mark Few with more than a few passing references to Knight also speaking with Billy Donovan. In fact, very few of them even mention Tubby at all.

In other words, until something is proven otherwise, this is another case of media speculation running wild.

That's a relevant point here. Another relevant point: Phil Knight is not the AD or the president at Oregon. In other words, while his word will carry some weight, he won't make the final decision, regardless of how high and mighty Mr. Nike is. And at this point, I'm not concerned about Oregon. Why? Because everything I've heard and read indicates they've already had four interviews and I doubt that Tubby was one of them, unless it was a phone interview. On top of that, the Oregon press seems to be indicating that the leaders for the job are Mark Turgeon, Jamie Dixon and Mark Few with more than a few passing references to Knight also speaking with Billy Donovan. In fact, very few of them even mention Tubby at all.

In other words, until something is proven otherwise, this is another case of media speculation running wild.

It certainly seems that somone 'close to Smith' is putting it out there how much Oregon wants Tubby. They're doing this for a reason, especially since both 'leaks' occured shortly after the GT job disappeared. The only question is why? Because he's going to go to Oregon? Probably not, they'd just keep it quiet until he was gone. Because he's NOT the front-runner there, but wants to be? Maybe. To spur action of some form from Maturi? More likely.

It certainly seems that somone 'close to Smith' is putting it out there how much Oregon wants Tubby. They're doing this for a reason, especially since both 'leaks' occured shortly after the GT job disappeared. The only question is why? Because he's going to go to Oregon? Probably not, they'd just keep it quiet until he was gone. Because he's NOT the front-runner there, but wants to be? Maybe. To spur action of some form from Maturi? More likely.

Could definitely be the case. Not knowing all the details (and quite honestly, we'll never know one way or the other) makes it almost impossible to be sure. Regardless, something isn't adding up. And considering the rumored daliances that Oregon is making towards Turgeon, Donnovan, Few, Dixon and maybe others, I'm not sure what to think of this Oregon stuff that keeps popping up.

But on a very real level, it really doesn't matter what any of us, or the media for that matter, think or say. What's really important is what Tubby and Maturi have discussed behind the scenes. Anything else is pretty much hearsay and open-ended speculation.

According to someone in another thread, Tubby and Borton sat down with Maturi just this week and finalized locations and plans for it, it's a matter of fund-raising now, and they've begun to explore that.

However, I'm pretty sure I recall almost a year ago that a significant portion of the private donations necessary had already been agreed to if not made, so I'm not sure what to think of that. I do know that the Dunkers are a great booster though, so hopefully we see more visible movement on this soon.

According to someone in another thread, Tubby and Borton sat down with Maturi just this week and finalized locations and plans for it, it's a matter of fund-raising now, and they've begun to explore that.

However, I'm pretty sure I recall almost a year ago that a significant portion of the private donations necessary had already been agreed to if not made, so I'm not sure what to think of that. I do know that the Dunkers are a great booster though, so hopefully we see more visible movement on this soon.

If Joel calls me, I am in for a donation of 100 clams. Perhaps they will name a paper towel dispenser after me.

I just checked the cost of a facility like that, not as elaborate, perhaps, but about the same square footage, and it isn't that costly if they don't have to do a pile of earth work, etc. to get it done. Much cheaper than a baseball stadium, I think.

While I think it's beyond ridiculous that the U might build a baseball stadium over a basketball facility, if Tubby decides to leave over a practice facility not being constructed on his timetable I would wish him the best in his future endeavors. Power coaches, particularly ones that barely get into the tournament, are more trouble than they are worth.

Tubby was miserable and in trouble in Kentucky. Maturi was miserable but not in trouble at the U. Maturi offered Tubby a lifeline. Tubby took it. Memories are short. Loyalty is nonexistent.

If he stays, great. If he goes, good luck to him and his family.

Tubby would only leave for Oregon if he was unhappy here (meaning unhappy due to Joel Maturi). This Gopher job has more potential, but the question is whether Tubby can reach his goals without more support.

Try Logic For A Change

Tubby and Donna'a family ALL live in mid-Atlantic or Southern states.

They have no connections whatsoever to Oregon.

He has no recruiting connections there.

He has 4 to 7 years until retirement.

Oregon makes no sense at all.

I was looking to see what Oregon Boards were saying...They are not even bringing up Tubby much...They are talking about Mark Few alot.

Actually Tubby's recruited California pretty well over the years.

That said, I have to agree with FOT on this one. I could see Ga Tech. I can't envision any scenario that Tubby and Donna Smith move to Eugene, OR. That makes almost as little sense as Auburn, Florida or any of the other ridiculous teams that come up.

Tubby would only leave for Oregon if he was unhappy here (meaning unhappy due to Joel Maturi). This Gopher job has more potential, but the question is whether Tubby can reach his goals without more support.

A basketball coaches goals are to collect a check and not get fired. If he wins just enough to not get fired he has reached his goal, anything beyond that is gravy.

A basketball coaches goals are to collect a check and not get fired. If he wins just enough to not get fired he has reached his goal, anything beyond that is gravy.

Tubby is pushing 60 and has been collecting a nice paycheck for quite some time. That paycheck does not mean as much as it used to.

I couldln't disagree with this more. I don't do my job just to collect a check and not get fired, why would Tubby (who's ceratinly successful) have those as his goals? Even if you believed it was all about the money, there are significant bonuses that can be achieved for winning Big Ten titles, advancing to the final four, and winning the national championship.

I think Tubby is a competitior, he wouldn't have gotten as far as he has in basketball if he wasn't, and wants to win games beyond what it takes to just avoid the axe. With (likely) fewer than 10 years left in his coaching career, I see him wanting to expand his legacy by winning significantly and going out on a high note. This "goal" would also dramatically improve the chances of his son Saul taking over the Gopher job when he does retire. Saul's only chance to get this job would be for Tubby to do some very impressive things before he retires.

I can't envision any scenario that Tubby and Donna Smith move to Eugene, OR.

In general I agree. But, just for the sake of discussion, what if Phil Knight/Oregon offered Tubby a 10-year deal worth $3 million per year? Do you think he'd pass up $30 million? He's set to earn roughly $9-10 million here over the next four years. That's a lot of green to leave on the table.

I so love the voices of reason.

Tubby to Oregon makes very little sense, unless it's for money, and I don't see why a very wealthy, seemingly honorable and fairly happy Orlando Smith is worried about a few hundred thousand clams that will go about half to taxes anyway to take a chance on a program that is not top tier and not anywhere near anything of his or his family's interest.

Tubby has to know that he can really build something great here at Minnesota, and frankly, if he leaves I'm sure will have plenty of good suitors waiting to take over. The Minnesota program is a good, but not great program. Under Tubby it can be great. Under other great coaches it can be great. The administration is supporting the program. We live. Amen.

Actually Tubby's recruited California pretty well over the years.

That said, I have to agree with FOT on this one. I could see Ga Tech. I can't envision any scenario that Tubby and Donna Smith move to Eugene, OR. That makes almost as little sense as Auburn, Florida or any of the other ridiculous teams that come up.

Tubby has some but LIMITED recruiting connections in California.

He has NONE in Pacific NW where Oregon is located.

My take in case anyone cares:

1. I also don't think Oregon makes any sense at all. I understand that they are getting a new building and that basketball in the NW is getting better, but there is no connection there. Granted there wasn't a ton of connection to Minnesota, but it wasn't as much of a departure as Oregon would be.

2. I don't think Tubby will retire as the Minnesota coach. There's just too much out there too often and there are too many schools that can spend a ton to get Tubby.

Marcus has added these tweets today. He's certainly being cryptic and not sharing Andy Katz's optimism:

Tubby is laying low. Not talking to anybody. Wonder what that means? Calm before the storm maybe

Tubby is watching Brendan Dawson at Indiana state tournament. Still recruiting for Minnesota.

ESPN's Andy Katz said in his blog that a source with direct knowledge of situation said they are confident Tubby will stay. I don't know.

I won't be holding my breath on Dawson. That's quite the list of offers he has there.

Top Bottom