ACC/Big Ten Challenge: Pairings 2010?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Last year the pairings were announced on April 22nd. For sh*ts and giggles here's how the Challenge could look. Have simply flip-flopped the home & visiting teams. (I'm aware that some teams may play at home or on the road for the 2nd consecutive year) Estimating strength of teams based on who they'll have back, what they might lose to graduation/early-entry NBA.

The ACC will get 6 home games. I'm assuming Miami (the last-place team) will not participate. I'm avoiding rematches.

Clemson at Penn State
Virginia at Northwestern
Georgia Tech at Michigan State
Indiana at Boston College
Iowa at Wake Forest
Michigan at Maryland
North Carolina at Illinois
NC State at GOPHERS (would be OK, someone we haven't played & Wolfpack should be improved)
Ohio State at Virginia Tech
Purdue at Duke
Wisconsin at Florida State

I don't think they'll pair up UNC & Sparty for the 3rd straight year, so I think that likely leaves the Tar Heels (assuming they're on the road) to play @ Illinois.

I'm just hoping Gophers don't get stuck with Virginia or Florida State. Have seen enough of them, 3 times apiece.

Hadn't thought about this, so here's my prediction:

Clemson at GOPHERS
Purdue at Duke
Ohio State at Maryland
Georgia Tech at Michigan State
Wisconsin at Virginia Tech
North Carolina at Illinois
NC State at Penn State
Virginia at Northwestern
Michigan at Florida State
Iowa at Wake Forest
Indiana at Boston College

I highly doubt OSU (#1 in Big 10 this year, top recruiting class coming in) gets paired with VT (NIT from ACC, mediocre recruiting). Even though they might really want to do an MSU-Maryland rematch, they are both due to be playing at home - that's an interesting possibility. I agree that they should go with UNC at Illinois. The problem is, you have 3 Big Ten champs this year and two ACC champs, so who is the 3rd Big Ten champ playing? There seems to be quite a drop off between #2 and #3 in the ACC to the point that there's no clear #3. PU and OSU are due road games and MSU is due a home game; MD is due a home game and Duke is due a home game. That to me means PU and OSU are going on the road to face those two and I think the best choice is OSU-Duke and PU-Maryland, although I suppose it could be reversed. My best guess is MSU hosts either Clemson or GT and the Gophers host the other of those two. UW IMO should be headed to a rematch at VT.

I'd love to get another shot at Duke, no matter what happens tonight, and I think it will probably happen. Either that or OSU/Duke.

UW will be playing in Madison in the challenge again next season. If I am remembering correctly, they had only 3 true home games in the first 10 years of the challenge. Bo was pretty pissed when they had to go on the road to VT two seasons ago, such that they will get two home games in a row (Duke this past season, someone else next season).

In addition, we can say for sure that these matchups will NOT happen:

North Carolina-Minnesota (both in Puerto Rice)
Wisconsin-Boston College (both in Orlando)
Penn State-Virginia Tech (both in Anaheim)
Michigan State-Virginia (both in Maui)
Michigan-Georgia Tech (both in Legends)
Maryland-Illinois (both in Coaches vs. Cancer)
Iowa-Clemson (both at Paradise Jam)

I cannot find where Purdue, Ohio State, Indiana or Northwestern are for preseason tourneys.

I haven't heard anything on a pre-season tourny for Purdue yet either. The Boilers are due to go on the road. I would love to get a shot at Duke again. After they kick our ass two years ago in the Big 10-ACC challenge then after tonight dissapointment I would love to open a big can of whoop-@$$ at Cameron.

I think the biggest challenge for the Boilers would be UNC honestly. Overall the Purdue's front line next year will be a little bigger than this year. With UNC length, size, depth, and athleticism on the front line would give JJ, Hummel and Co. a great test. Personally I want next year's team tested as much as they can be next year. I want those guys to go on road in the hardest enviroments and win. Next year after Purdue wins the National Championship(fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc) I don't want there to be any doubt in anyones mind who the best team is.

Top Bottom