Practice Facility - EMail to Joel Maturi

scher215

Reaction score
I am pretty new to these boards, but just wanted to get people's thoughts on this e-mail that I have sent to Joel Maturi regarding the basketball practice facility. Thanks!

Hello Mr. Maturi,

My name is ------- and i am currently a junior at the University. I am writing in regards to the desired basketball practice facility. I acknowledge that I do not have the same information that you or others in authoritative positions at the university do nor do i possess the experience of running a University athletic department. However, as a supporter of the basketball team I do feel it is greatly needed to have a practice facility built in order to attract recruits to the University and create a winning basketball program that is as profitable as possible. I do also understand though that the University baseball team is a big part of this university and is also in need of a new stadium. With the current economic issues still facing this country and this University, this is a tough dilemma and a tough decision for anyone to make. The intention of my e-mail is not an attempt to persuade you which is more important or needs to happen first, personally I see the need to get both projects started as soon as possible.

I have noticed that many regular fans of the basketball team also have a desire to see a practice facility built and many would be willing to donate money specifically towards a new practice facility. My question to you is if it is possible to set up a way for people to donate money specifically to go towards this project? For example, setting up a website similar to that used by the Obama campaign for raising funds via $15 and $20 donations during the presidential election. I was also thinking this could be done through creating different donation amounts as an "item" in the online store at gophersports.com (For example, along with Gopher t-shirts, hats, etc. shoppers could also select items such as a "$10 practice facility donation", "$20 practice facility donation", "$100 practice facility donation" etc.). There could then also be more wealthy donors who agree to match whatever the fans are able to raise as well as other marketing strategies in order to increase the fans desire to donate money to the facility.

I realize it is unlikely that this would raise the full amount needed to build a new practice facility, however it would be a very helpful start, would show head coach Tubby Smith, the players, and future recruits the level of support the fans have for the program, and would also help fans to feel a greater connection to the team and to the success of the team. This would give them a true feeling of having an important stake in the success of the program knowing that a practice facility that helped contribute to the team's success and improvement was built, in part, thanks to them. I hope that you will consider the possibility of this idea working toward keeping the Minnesota basketball program relevant not only in the big ten, but also with the likes of other elite programs. Thank you very much for your time and I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts and enacting a strategy to help the chances of getting a practice facility built.

You did a nice job.

Will gladly give what I can to help the practice facility come to fruition, but I will not give more money (outside of men's hoops and football season tickets) to U athletics if the money's not going specifically where I want it to go. When they get "extra" from me, I want it going toward men's basketball or baseball & not anywhere else. If they can't promise it'll go directly to help those sports, sorry.

that was exactly my point. I know there are quite a few people who would want there money to specifically go to the practice facility and not to the swimming program for example. I am unsure if Maturi is able to make sure this happens, so we will see what his response is.

Good email, well thought out and sensible. Post response please.

not to be too critical but note may be too long.
Joel gets hundreds of e-mails each day and does not have a lot of time to read and re-read e-mails to fully understand content and purpose.
nicely written and well thought-out but...........
IMHO!!

They have funds designated for different sports that you can donate to. You don't have to just donate to "Athletics" and they figure out where they want it to go. Not sure about a "Practice facility" fund, but you can donate to men's or women's basketball only.

That said, I like the email, thought it brings up a decent idea. Some mass communication type stuff to help that effort.

Well done, but I agree too long. One introductory "I understand blah blah blah" and then cut to the chase. I very much like the tone, so be sure to keep that.

This comes from someone who has very long posts.....so take it for what it's worth!!

I sent an email this morning and Joel was prompt in his reponse, per usual. The response basically said he met with Coach Smith and Borton this week and finalized plans and location for practice facility. Now they are researching the appetite for donations. He ended by saying that if Coach Smith leaves, the program is in a better position than when he took over.

I did not like this reponse as he thinks the program is better off because smith got us to the tourney. Truth is, if Smith leaves it will be because he thinks he has a better shot at winning big at another school that is a peer of ours. That is an indication to future coaches that we do not have the infrastructure to win. We will then have to go the Monson route for the forseeable future.

Remember, while you and I will donate they are exploring big hitters because it cannot be built unless folks shell out hundred of thousands each, not just $100.

Response:

Thanks for the email and your support of Gopher Basketball.*&^!# Our plan for a Basketball Practice Facility is on schedule and now it is about raising the necessary dollars to build it.*&^!# You are right in the fact that we will not raise the funds for a $20 million facility $20 at*&^!# a time and will rely on the University Foundations and our internal staff to raise the necessary funds.*&^!# I do know we need to begin with 7 figure gifts before we get to the grass roots, much like we did for TCF Bank Stadium.*&^!# I will pass your suggestion onto our staff.

Nicely done, scher215. Good to see a student getting involved.

When they are ready for grass roots donations, I'll happily make a donation to get this thing done.

Response:

Thanks for the email and your support of Gopher Basketball.*&^!# Our plan for a Basketball Practice Facility is on schedule and now it is about raising the necessary dollars to build it.*&^!# You are right in the fact that we will not raise the funds for a $20 million facility $20 at*&^!# a time and will rely on the University Foundations and our internal staff to raise the necessary funds.*&^!# I do know we need to begin with 7 figure gifts before we get to the grass roots, much like we did for TCF Bank Stadium.*&^!# I will pass your suggestion onto our staff.

Wow, Joel swears like a *&^!# sailor...

Top Bottom