Johnnie Lacy wants to transfer from Providence to Minnesota

His numbers at Providence as a freshman were not too impressive. Averaged 1.9ppg in 8 mpg, 27% FG shooting, 9% from the 3pt line.

Any player transferring from Providence would have to acclimate himself to the meaning of defense. Keno Davis' Providence teams are about as defenseless as any young lady trying to hold off the advances of Ben Roethlisberger.

Now if Providence's Jamine Peterson wants to transfer to Minnesota, I'll take him in a heartbeat.

Lacy could start for Gophers today. If Cory Joseph doesn't come, this would be a great plan B.

Any player transferring from Providence would have to acclimate himself to the meaning of defense. Keno Davis' Providence teams are about as defenseless as any young lady trying to hold off the advances of Ben Roethlisberger

you've been saving that one

Maybe someone can refresh me on this, but I think we were initially recruiting him last year, but then stopped because he wouldn't have been able to get into school. Is this accurate? I'm just trying to remember what I had heard about him.

Actually, he wouldn't be able to start for the Gophers until November of 2011.

Vander Blue

Blue doesn't have the grades to attend a B10 school.

Van is more of a SG... and wait!what? is either kidding or a dumba$$.

But, as for Johnnie.. could drop points like no other in Milwaukee some nights, struggled others... Tan Crean was a big fan... Lacy went to Notre Dame Prep (MA) for his last year... there were rumors that he might be a 2010 vs. 2009...although as is, he is old for his class... I thought Minnesota did offer him in ~June 2008... he's a small guy, fun to watch. Has a rough situation in Providence with Vincent Council there.. Council committed after Johnnie... and we could use a point guard. Has the tools to run the point, but really likes to shoot.

vs. Cobbs - very different games, but Lacy is much preferred. His college career could go several different ways, but definitely a guy capable of scoring points and being a very good player at this level... Cobbs is limited.

I don't know that it makes much sense from the Minnesota perspective to want this kid, it certainly doesn't make sense if the Gophs can get CJ. Even if they don't get CJ, I think going after Lacy would be a poor choice - 9% on 3s and 27% on the field says he can't really play at this level.

I don't know that it makes much sense from the Minnesota perspective to want this kid, it certainly doesn't make sense if the Gophs can get CJ. Even if they don't get CJ, I think going after Lacy would be a poor choice - 9% on 3s and 27% on the field says he can't really play at this level.

Have you seen Lacy play? If you're 'evaluating' him based on his statistics as a freshman when he played less than 200 minutes, you've got some more work to do.

I'd say take him.... he could not play until 2011. Even if CJ comes here we need depth.

In addition to Council being the same year as Lacy, Providence got a commitment from 2011 PG Naadir Tharpe last week... Tharpe plays for Brewster, alongside Mo Walker and a lot of other D1talent.

In terms of what Lacy might be able to offer, we've all been saying that we need a better scoring option at the point. The question is therefore whether Lacy could be that guy. Cobbs at times looked downright hesitant on offense and that hurt us at times in the halfcourt imo. I've never seen Lacy play, but it sounds like hesitancy certainly isn't a problem with him. However, it also sounds like decision making could be a problem, which would drive Tubby and the rest of us crazy. In any case, it might be interesting to consider.

It's a done deal - Lacy won't be back at Providence next season.

Now the question is.. where to?

It's a done deal - Lacy won't be back at Providence next season.

Now the question is.. where to?

Hmm... well that's interesting since we've got another open scholarship (PC)... maybe Royce doesn't get it like most say he might.

Well he wouldn't be able to play until 2011-2012, so there would be other scholarships available then due to Srs leaving.

Well, that ends this rumor. I don't think Coach Smith and his staff are looking to bring more players into the program who have impending legal issues.

I was gonna post this story too. That is the last thing we need to go through again.

Naadir Tharpe (2011)

In addition to Council being the same year as Lacy, Providence got a commitment from 2011 PG Naadir Tharpe last week... Tharpe plays for Brewster, alongside Mo Walker and a lot of other D1talent.

That didn't take long. Tharpe (still a 2011) is reopening his recruitment. Coach Skerry, the assistant that led the recruitment of Tharpe, recently left Providence for Pittsburgh. Don't think the Gophers were ever in on his recruitment,... but could use a nice 2011 PG. He'll have plenty of suitors though... probably a top 100 guy.

NE Recruiting Report Article

YouTube highlights - Naadir Tharpe 09-10 season w/Brewster

Johnnie Lacy to Howard CC... he'll play for the defending national champions who will miss Marquette-bound POY Jae Crowder, but have some returning Minnesota kids ready to lead the way (Carlos Emory, Joe Bright)

Top Bottom