New Basketball Practice Facility or New Baseball Stadium?

sec105

Reaction score
If we could only have one in the next three years which would you opt for? Ruesse indicated Tubby and Joel had a big "Discussion" on this very topic. Tubby told Joel he promised him a new Basketball Practice facility and Joel said Tubby would have to wait a few more years (per Patrick Ruesse on his afternoon talk show).

If indeed we can't have both, as was implied, which should Joel pursue first?

If we could only have one in the next three years which would you opt for? Ruesse indicated Tubby and Joel had a big "Discussion" on this very topic. Tubby told Joel he promised him a new Basketball Practice facility and Joel said Tubby would have to wait a few more years (per Patrick Ruesse on his afternoon talk show).

If indeed we can't have both, as was implied, which should Joel pursue first?

We should go for the practice facility... hands down...

Not dissing on the baseball team, but a new practice facility would further brighten our chances of landing star recruits and those recruits would further our chances of going deep into march. A school/university can garner much respect for it's sports teams. Media-wise, basketball far outweighs baseball (in college), so I think ya gotta go basketball on this one... I'd love to see both happen though.:D

basketball for sure, no one cares about the baseball team on campus or in the metro area.

Currently Tubby has to work around womens basketball, dance and other sports practice schedules. A place for our players to call home and shoot around any time of day is a crucial factor in recruiting. Along with team rooms for ping-pong, billiards, watching espn, and playing video games are the new standards.

Gotta go with the practice facility, the sooner the better. Its paramount that we keep Tubby here, as there are big-time recruits that can landed here with it. Big-time recruits = greater success in the basketball program = more revenue for the U.

A new baseball stadium, while needed, will not bring in the revenue the hoops team can and will.

The Practice Facility is far more important. The Metrodome's not going anywhere anytime soon. As long as it's still standing, they'll play half thier games there anyway. If they're that concerned about what happens when the Dome is gone, get an extra $20 million put into any Vikings stadium to help fund a new Gopher baseball stadium. The Vikings aren't about to let something like that be a stumbling block.

It looks like everyone wants to plant a big wet one on Tubby's ass. I guess nobody should be surprised. I assume that you guys are used to doing that kind of thing.

Even when things were at the worst in basketball, there were still 10.5k season ticket holders. How many does baseball have?

This is clearly a biased crowd to ask this question to, but.. basketball is a big money sport and the basketball program is very profitable under Tubby... you protect that source of income before you try to pour money into baseball, which has no following outside of the baseball community. And building or not building a new baseball stadium will not change that. The only thing that the vast majority of Minnesota sports fans know about the U baseball team is that Eric Decker was on it.

If the Pohlads come forward with several million for a baseball facility (as has been suggested they may), then you have to pull the trigger. Despite the recent (relative) success of Tubby's program, you need to follow the donation money.

Georgia Tech offer possibly pending, pursuing a basketball facility now will likely mean too little too late for the Gophers' retention of Tubby. Its not like we would be breaking ground tomorrow! Worst would be going ahead with a basketball facility with no public financial supporters during a economic crisis at the U, only to waste it on another Dan Monson after the coach and half the team leaves.

joel maturi - thank you for eventually running a great coach like tubby smith out of town because you can't see the forest for the trees......you fricking clueless turd. are we sure this guy isn't still pulling a check from the becky idiots over in madison, wi where he used to work? why is this guy still our AD after all of these years?! i am sorry, but it just boogles the mind.

I care about all U sports but a practice facility is my number one priority. If they want my money to help build it..and they do..it should be a priority. Facts are facts, its where the bread gets its butter.

If the Pohlads come forward with several million for a baseball facility (as has been suggested they may), then you have to pull the trigger. Despite the recent (relative) success of Tubby's program, you need to follow the donation money.

Georgia Tech offer possibly pending, pursuing a basketball facility now will likely mean too little too late for the Gophers' retention of Tubby. Its not like we would be breaking ground tomorrow! Worst would be going ahead with a basketball facility with no public financial supporters during a economic crisis at the U, only to waste it on another Dan Monson after the coach and half the team leaves.

That's awfully short-sighted. Even if Tubby leaves tomorrow, we still need this built ASAP. There's a reason Tubby's demanding it, and any coach who succeeds him will want it for the exact same reason.

If the Pohlad's are giving the donation specifically for the baseball stadium, fine. But if not, the practice facility takes priority. Goad Glen Taylor into making a similar donation for the basketball facility. There's only so much MSU-Mankato can do with his money.

If you're talking in terms of pure need, there is no question the baseball stadium is needed more. They're not even playing on Siebert Field anymore - I can't even count how long they have been patiently waiting for one, is it like 10 years now (or more)?

If the basketball practice facility is needed more it's purely for economic reasons for the department, which is fine. But it seems like people don't realize just how putrid the baseball situation is.

Very few people care at all about college baseball. Maybe 10% of the population can even name a college baseball player, and maybe 1% can name the top 5 baseball teams in any given year. Basketball is one of 2 premier sports so it should get the priority every single time. Also, a Sweet 16 basketball team gets way more positive pub for the U than a championship baseball team. A ticked off Tubby gives way more negative pub than even a huge baseball scandal

The University of Minnesota is a business and a new practice facility makes the best sense for increasing operating profit.

What we need is a uber-wealthy alum to just pony up and pay for the damn thing himself, demanding groundbreaking as soon as feasibly possible. A la Oklahoma State and T.Boone Pickens.

Anybody out there with a hundred mil to donate? Would that I could afford it...

Very few people care at all about college baseball. Maybe 10% of the population can even name a college baseball player, and maybe 1% can name the top 5 baseball teams in any given year. Basketball is one of 2 premier sports so it should get the priority every single time. Also, a Sweet 16 basketball team gets way more positive pub for the U than a championship baseball team. A ticked off Tubby gives way more negative pub than even a huge baseball scandal

Ask that to all the people that attend the college world series and super regional tournaments every year. But yeah, obviously a larger portion of the population supports the basketball program. FYI, the Gopher baseball program already has enough money raised for a new stadium. But I also agree that building a new basketball practice facility, in theory, is more important due to the visibility and popularity of the basketball program. However I think the baseball stadium is much more deserved. In the end, money will rule out and the basketball team probably get their practice facility first. We talkin' 'bout practice!!!

Baseball stadium should be built first. Tubby is pissed because he has had to wait 3 yrs for a practice facility that is really only needed for recruiting purposes. Anderson is playing, sometimes, in an almost-condemned Seibert field after having turned down several more lucrative offers from other schools. I think the patient, effective, loyal guy should be at the head of the line.

Currently Tubby has to work around womens basketball, dance and other sports practice schedules. A place for our players to call home and shoot around any time of day is a crucial factor in recruiting. Along with team rooms for ping-pong, billiards, watching espn, and playing video games are the new standards.

No he doesn't. He sets his time and they work around him.

Baseball stadium money and bball practice facility money are two entirely different pots.

Take care of the programs that are paying the freight for everyone else. Baseball is great but how much money are the costing the U every year?

There's a little "forest through the trees" debate going on here; one team is looking for a facility to hold competition in...the other is a recruiting tool that will benefit 15 players X 2 teams per year, and a few other perks for recruiting purposes. One team has waited literally since the last decade, being promised and being told to wait, while the other became a "priority" just about two years ago.

If you were completely unbiased, you'd say the baseball stadium, and it wouldn't be close if you balanced it on a fairness scale. Then again, life is not fair...if it had been, Henry Sibley would have knocked off Hopkins tonight.

Top Bottom