Dennis Dodd on the Big Ten

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Refreshing to see the Big Ten spun in a more positive light. Here's hoping OSU, Sparty and/or Purdue can deliver the goods this weekend. The capper would be if the Big Ten can gets its first national title since 2000.

I know others differ on this, but I must say this. ... the Big Ten Network rocks. From the start of football until the last Big Ten basketball team is eliminated from the NCAA Tournament, there is no better television channel. I could care less what the BTN airs between April and August. The BTN's football and men's basketball coverage makes it all worthwhile.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...?tag=coverlist_footer;coverlist_photo_content

What a pandering jacka$$. He is trying to cover himself after inflicting major damage on Minnesota's chances in the tourney with his phony Tubby to Auburn lie, followed with his Steve Alford-superhero article that did nothing but bash Iowa. Screw this guy. I sent him an excoriating email and I hope others do the same.

Are you seriously laying some of the blame for our loss to Xavier on Dennis Dodd? I've heard it all now.

We're giving way too much credit to sports writers/columnists turned bloggers (think Jim Souhan). All these years I've been going to basketball games I thought it was the players and coaches from the competing teams that determine the outcome of games, not the media.

You know, whatever Lou Holtz was or did, I agreed with him the time a "sports expert" talked with him about the perils of facing Nebraska at Lincoln. Holtz's reply was something like "Well, Joe, Nebraska's players are plenty to worry about. We're not going to worry about hometown fans unless they're carrying machine guns."

We're giving way too much credit to sports writers/columnists turned bloggers (think Jim Souhan). All these years I've been going to basketball games I thought it was the players and coaches from the competing teams that determine the outcome of games, not the media.

Love ya SS but if we acknowledge a team being motivated by " bulletin board material " isn't it fair to think that rumors such as Dodd started can adversely affect ( or is it effect ) teams as well?

By the way I don't think the Dodd rumor played a factor in our game, a kid named Crawford and really poor shooting in the second half did.

bizz

Love ya SS but if we acknowledge a team being motivated by " bulletin board material " isn't it fair to think that rumors such as Dodd started can adversely affect ( or is it effect ) teams as well?

By the way I don't think the Dodd rumor played a factor in our game, a kid named Crawford and really poor shooting in the second half did.

I agree and I believe it is "affect" in your sentence. The end result would be the "effect".

http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/difficulties/affecteffect.html

Crawford's shooting was not affected by the erroneous Dodd report and the effect was Crawford killed us.

:)

Are you seriously laying some of the blame for our loss to Xavier on Dennis Dodd? I've heard it all now.

I'm not blaming the Xavier loss on Dodd either, although I certainly don't think it helped any. Rather, I'm angry about the complete and utterly false claims he made. But he's not the first and certainly won't be the last to be proven completely wrong (Souhan, etc...).

I agree that say Souhan's column was weak & full of mistakes and mistruths. He clearly has little interest in or knowledge of college basketball. One only needed to notice his lack of knowledge about the success of the Xavier program to understand that. Souhan clearly should stick to baseball.

That said, when Chris Mack called out Souhan at the press conference (I was out of town at the time) and pointed him out as a source of motivation, my first thought was, "That's really weak." Then when I read the column upon my return, I thought it made Mack look like even more of a wienie than Souhan. It wasn't really that much of a dig at Xavier.

But then Souhan one-upped Mack on the "wienie-meter" by responding to Mack. Columnists are OK dishing it out, but they don't like it when someone dishes it back. In this instance, Souhan and Mack were both wienies in my book.

Top Bottom