G Tech and Oregon have contacted Tubby (or his people)

Ho hum. I suppose that puts a little more formality around the news we already knew or assumed. But someone contacting Tubby doesn't bother me. Of course they want him. I'm glad they do. Tubby's response is what matters.

Ho hum. I suppose that puts a little more formality around the news we already knew or assumed. But someone contacting Tubby doesn't bother me. Of course they want him. I'm glad they do. Tubby's response is what matters.

So long as rumors persist, recruiting is DEAD this spring. No one would commit, much less sign with Minnesota.

fot

So long as rumors persist, recruiting is DEAD this spring. No one would commit, much less sign with Minnesota.

The rumours will always float about Tubby. He is a huge prize for any program looking for the best "possibly" available coach.

I would say only Tubby can kill the rumours. I know what he has said publicly, which is good enough for me as I take Tubby at his word.

However, IMHO if the speculation is hurting recruiting and Tubby wants it to end he has to be a bit more forceful in his denial phraseology and/or be in contact with those recruits.

I don't blame Tubby either way. We can't control what the media or blogs have to say about the topic.

College hoops is what it is.

I know I started a thread on it too-

F- Off Myron!

Well, if the current rumor about Hewitt turning down St. John's is true, I guess that takes care of Georgia Tech. So now the question is, where and when is the next rumor going to start? :eek:

OH NOES!

Well, if the current rumor about Hewitt turning down St. John's is true, I guess that takes care of Georgia Tech. So now the question is, where and when is the next rumor going to start? :eek:

Tubby's going to St. John's.

Lets not exaggerate the effect these rumors might have on a recruit. I am sure that a recruit, like Joseph, would take Tubby's word over that of Myron, or any other "source."

Call me confused. But if Tubby's actions/words have convinced you that he is 100% staying and will retire here as you have posted countless times, why wouldn't he be able to convince a recruit?:confused:

How do you figure? If Tubby goes to a recruit and tells that recruit he will be the coach at Minnesota, why would he not commit.

And if he didn't believe Tubby why would Tubby want a player who doesn't listen or trust the coach?

forceful?

let's face it, Tubby is not a particulary forceful speaker and his responses have been as forceful as Tubby gets. How does 'I plan to retire here" not seem forceful, he has said it multiple times in the past and is probably tired of beating that horse

I've sided with you on a lot of the Tubby rumor stuff, especially when you hold forth about how people put stock in other coaches' quotes, but don't seem to believe our own. This time, though, I'll take issue. Rumors are out there all the time. If what you stated is fact, a bunch of teams with outstanding or emerging coaches would never be able to recruit and that doesn't seem to be the case. If the recruits receive assurances from coaches that rumors are baseless, then all should be well. If not, then the recruit is saying he doesn't believe his future coach, just like message board people do. And if you haven't built enough of a relationship to survive the rumor mill, exactly where are you with the young man anyway?

Call me confused. But if Tubby's actions/words have convinced you that he is 100% staying and will retire here as you have posted countless times, why wouldn't he be able to convince a recruit?:confused:

Assistant coaches (recruiters) use rumors to their advantage. Ask any AC that you know.

I've sided with you on a lot of the Tubby rumor stuff, especially when you hold forth about how people put stock in other coaches' quotes, but don't seem to believe our own. This time, though, I'll take issue. Rumors are out there all the time. If what you stated is fact, a bunch of teams with outstanding or emerging coaches would never be able to recruit and that doesn't seem to be the case. If the recruits receive assurances from coaches that rumors are baseless, then all should be well. If not, then the recruit is saying he doesn't believe his future coach, just like message board people do. And if you haven't built enough of a relationship to survive the rumor mill, exactly where are you with the young man anyway?

As I said, as long as RUMORS PERSIST then recruiting is dead.

You may think otherwise. Ask any HC or AC that you know.

I am waiting for the announcement that the Charlotte Bobcats or the Miami Heat have contacted Tubby about coming to coach for them. This issue has gotten completely out of hand. Now I understand how Iowa fans felt every year when Ferentz name kept getting brought up for jobs.

FWIW he states that Paul Hewitt is heading to St. Johns even though he has declined the job, reported this early afternoon. Credibility is lost, if he can lose any more credibility that is.

I think Hewitt wanted the job, I think his wife and kids did not. Izzo did the same thing with the atlanta hawks a few years back. He does have $7 million reasons to stay so I guess it is a win win situation

I think Hewitt wanted the job, I think his wife and kids did not. Izzo did the same thing with the atlanta hawks a few years back. He does have $7 million reasons to stay so I guess it is a win win situation

It's certainly a win-win situation for Hewitt from a contractual stand point. It's interesting to note that the Georgia Tech faithful seem to have a different viewpoint. They were in full meltdown mode on this one last time I checked.

Assistant coaches (recruiters) use rumors to their advantage. Ask any AC that you know.

I don't doubt that they try to use rumors to sway a recruit one way or another, I just doubt that it's a very effective strategy.

Maybe I don't think like an 18 year old BB phenom but I can't imagine believing an assistant coach spreading rumors about their rivals over a head coach telling me something different face to face.

Top Bottom