AJC Blog If Hewitt leaves, would Tubby coach Tech? Don’t think so

Reserve

Reaction score
Blog from the Atlanta Journal..

I just don't buy that GT is some kind of dream job for Tubby. There's too many questions and with him really starting to build something here in Minnesota why would it make sense for him to start over again at this point in his career?

I really believe what FOT says - this is a retirement job for Tubby.

We don’t yet know what Paul Hewitt will decide regarding St. John’s, but the inevitable speculation has begun: If Hewitt leaves, then Tubby Smith must be the first choice to replace him — mustn’t he?

Two things to note about Tubby Smith: First, that of all the college basketball coaches I’ve known, he’s my favorite; second, that of all the Tubby rumors since he left Georgia for Kentucky in 1997, not one has been accurate. And there have been a bunch.

Tubby to Auburn this year. (Obviously didn’t happen, given that the Tigers just hired Tony Barbee from UTEP.) Tubby back to Georgia last year. Tubby to South Carolina a while back. (Almost happened but didn’t.) Tubby to the Atlanta Hawks on at least three different occasions. (Never got close.) Tubby to the Charlotte Bobcats. Tubby to Michigan in 2007.

Back to that last one: Tubby finally did leave Kentucky in 2007, but it wasn’t for Michigan. It was for Minnesota, and here, as I understand it, is the way that happened: Smith got so fed up with the lack of support from AD Mitch Barnhart that he called his agent and said, “See what’s out there.” The Gophers didn’t pursue Tubby. He pursued them. It happened so fast that there wasn’t even a Tubby-to-Minny rumor.

Speculation has long held that Tubby won’t stay in Minneapolis because it’s cold up there. Two things more: The man is 58, and he’s not apt to want to start over many more times before he retires, and I have it on good authority he can afford a house with central heating.

I don’t see him coming to Tech if the job comes open — and let me stress: It might not – and I can’t see the Jackets pursuing him if it does. He’s a a fine man and a great coach, but he is, as noted, 58. I would guess Dan Radakovich would prefer a younger man. Just my guess, you understand.

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-b...ont-think-so/?cxntfid=blogs_mark_bradley_blog

Reserve

I hope FOT is right on this topic.

This may have been posted already but in any case FWIW:

Updates on Hewitt; updates on spring football
10:49 am March 24, 2010, by Doug Roberson

"A New York paper yesterday quoted Georgia Tech athletics director Dan Radakovich as telling 790AM the Zone that basketball coach Paul Hewitt had a “golden contract.” It also paraphrased him saying that if Hewitt were to leave for St. John’s, Tech’s next coach would come from a mid-major college because of the Institute’s financial constraints"

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/

Blog from the Atlanta Journal..

I just don't buy that GT is some kind of dream job for Tubby. There's too many questions and with him really starting to build something here in Minnesota why would it make sense for him to start over again at this point in his career?

I really believe what FOT says - this is a retirement job for Tubby.

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-b...ont-think-so/?cxntfid=blogs_mark_bradley_blog

Don't listen to me but DO listen to Tubby. He's been pretty clear on the topic. Believe him.

The SC job was his for the taking in 2001. UK AD (then) Larry Ivy wanted to push Tubby out and re-hire Rick Pitino. Despite 110-33 over 4 years with 1 NC, 3 SEC, and 3 SECT titles, his UK contract was going to expire in 2002. Ivy did not offer extension to him. Tubby and Donna decided at the last minute to stay at UK. The $ offered by SC was more than he was making at UK at the time. PS - Ivy was FIRED shortly afterwards and Mitch Barnhart replaced him.

I think (know) that Tubby and Donna had decided to leave UK by October 2006. Minnesota knew he was interested in December 2006 (through Lefft and the screening firm hired by Maturi). The deal wasn't concluded until March 2007. Specfically on March 22nd when Tubby and Donna made the decision to leave UK for Minnesota.

Speculation has long held that Tubby won’t stay in Minneapolis because it’s cold up there. Two things more: The man is 58, and he’s not apt to want to start over many more times before he retires, and I have it on good authority he can afford a house with central heating.
This quote from the AJC blog is just classic. LMOA. +1000 AJC, +1000. :clap:

Don't listen to me but DO listen to Tubby. He's been pretty clear on the topic. Believe him.

The SC job was his for the taking in 2001. UK AD (then) Larry Ivy wanted to push Tubby out and re-hire Rick Pitino. Despite 110-33 over 4 years with 1 NC, 3 SEC, and 3 SECT titles, his UK contract was going to expire in 2002. Ivy did not offer extension to him. Tubby and Donna decided at the last minute to stay at UK. The $ offered by SC was more than he was making at UK at the time. PS - Ivy was FIRED shortly afterwards and Mitch Barnhart replaced him.

I think (know) that Tubby and Donna had decided to leave UK by October 2006. Minnesota knew he was interested in December 2006 (through Lefft and the screening firm hired by Maturi). The deal wasn't concluded until March 2007. Specfically on March 22nd when Tubby and Donna made the decision to leave UK for Minnesota.

Does Donna like MN?

Top Bottom