Spartantailgate take on Tubby situation

This is about the only thing worth taking-

Quite possible that the media thinks Tubby is too big time for Minny hoops.

Which is essentially about it.

Lol about the " frozen wasteland ". :)

I liked the part about "basketball being #3" (behind hockey and football) at the University of Minnesota. Not sure I'm buying that.

Yeah, they're buying into everything they've "heard" from our illustrious media (weather is too cold, he'll never win in Minnesota, anywhere is better than Minneapolis, etc.) and so on and so forth. Just typical.

As far as ability to succeed, I'd put basketball #2 behind hockey and football #3. I think a basketball coach could honestly win a national title here someday. I'm not so sure about that in football....

As far as ability to succeed, I'd put basketball #2 behind hockey and football #3. I think a basketball coach could honestly win a national title here someday. I'm not so sure about that in football....

Agreed. All it takes is one 5* player and some good players around him, and we produce that from in-state players alone. Our problem has been continuity and staying away from scandal.

There's a good chance we already would have a title (at least temporarily!) had Eric Harris not been hurt in '97.

I agree. There's little question Minnesota is viewed as a steppingstone, but nevertheless we can still win a basketball national championship here. We have the right coach, one that can eventually can get us toward the top of the Big 10. The bottom line is if you're one of the best teams in the Big 10 (top 3 or 4), you're capable of getting to college basketball's final weekend.

We're not there yet, obviously, but we're moving in that direction. If Tubby leaves it will be important to get a guy that can continue the momentum (yes, despite no NCAA wins two straight years in the NCAA is momentum). It doesn't have to be the end of the world if Tubby leaves. Hope it doesn't come to that, but we shouldn't resort to the the "woe is us" routine if it happens. That gets old fast.

Frozen Wasteland?

Well, at least that criticism is coming from frozen Michigan.

We're a sports town, really. We love football, collge basketball, baseball, and hockey, order dependant on who is doing best at that moment. (Yes, we're frontrunning whores.) When the football team is doing well, we get great environments (Air Force, MSU games last year, that game in 2003). When hockey is doing well, Mariucci is electric. But there's just something different about when the basketball team is great. A packed house at the Barn for a big game is just indescribable. The hair on the back of your neck stands up. Two games that come to mind for me are Indiana in 97 and the Valentines Day Massacre in 99 (F*ck you, Mateen Cleaves).

sunday

I agree. There's little question Minnesota is viewed as a steppingstone, but nevertheless we can still win a basketball national championship here. We have the right coach, one that can eventually can get us toward the top of the Big 10. The bottom line is if you're one of the best teams in the Big 10 (top 3 or 4), you're capable of getting to college basketball's final weekend.

We're not there yet, obviously, but we're moving in that direction. If Tubby leaves it will be important to get a guy that can continue the momentum (yes, despite no NCAA wins two straight years in the NCAA is momentum). It doesn't have to be the end of the world if Tubby leaves. Hope it doesn't come to that, but we shouldn't resort to the the "woe is us" routine if it happens. That gets old fast.

I agree with your agreement!

I love Tubby and I hope he stays here until he retires. That being said I also think he will do what is best for himself and his family. If that means he moves on sometime, I am ok with that and will wish him all the best.

In either case the University of Minnesota will survive and the basketball team can flourish. The key is having a coach that can keep the local talent here and gather up the stray pieces from out of state so we can compete.

But I will repeat, I love Tubby and I hope he stays here until he retires.

Nothing like the frozen wasteland from East Lansing.

I wonder which negatively affects a person's mindset more about a particular place - the difference between a 15-degree day in Minneapolis versus an 18-degree day in East Lansing, or the difference between having a major metropolitan area full of restaurants, concert venues, theaters, museums, professional sports, etc. versus having to live in East Lansing?

or the difference between having a major metropolitan area full of restaurants, concert venues, theaters, museums, professional sports, etc. versus having to live in East Lansing?

Or having to risk being caught in the flush of the gigantic toilet known as Detroit, just down the road.

parkinglot

Nothing like the frozen wasteland from East Lansing.

I wonder which negatively affects a person's mindset more about a particular place - the difference between a 15-degree day in Minneapolis versus an 18-degree day in East Lansing, or the difference between having a major metropolitan area full of restaurants, concert venues, theaters, museums, professional sports, etc. versus having to live in East Lansing?

Hey, you can always drive over to downtown Lansing for excitement.

:rolleyes:

I guess I am just getting tired of how everyone seems to be down on the state of Minnesota basketball as it pertains to the U itself and our recruiting/high school ball.
Does the rest of the country have blinders on? Are they not seeing the Wisconsin vs. Wofford game where 5-6 kids on the floor were from Minnesota? Are they not seeing Cole Aldrich winning the national championship a few years back? How bout the leading scorer in Cornell history leading his team to the Sweet 16?
Ben Woodside carring a mediocre NDSU team on his back to the NCAA tournament?

There is no question that Minnesota doesn't have to look far to recruit. This isn't football where you have to field 22 starters.

I liked the part about "basketball being #3" (behind hockey and football) at the University of Minnesota. Not sure I'm buying that.

Not even remotely true. It is in fact #1, follwed by football and hockey. No offense to to hockey fans, but this perception that it is the #1 sport at the U is wrong. The 10,000 who fill the place up are great. They're also about 90% of the people that care.

The ignorance is astounding. The weather in East Lansing is virtually the same as it is in Minneapolis. But some people are so ignorant that they've heard of the cold in Minnesota, and assume that it must not merely be cold, but mind-bogglingly cold.

It's the Minnesota humility that doesn't do us any good at all. The Twin Cities has a lot of offer, but it too often gets downplayed by people uncomfortable about bragging. It's cold here in winter, but not much different than any other northern city.

The ignorance is astounding. The weather in East Lansing is virtually the same as it is in Minneapolis. But some people are so ignorant that they've heard of the cold in Minnesota, and assume that it must not merely be cold, but mind-bogglingly cold.

It's the Minnesota humility that doesn't do us any good at all. The Twin Cities has a lot of offer, but it too often gets downplayed by people uncomfortable about bragging. It's cold here in winter, but not much different than any other northern city.

I expect that ignorance from UVa and Auburn fans, but Michigan State? You'd think they'd look at a map, realize they're just as far north and have a clue. Besides, how the state handles roads and plowing snow, etc. is a lot more important then if it's 20 degrees or 0. Virginia was a grid-locked nightmare for basically a week after each of the 3 large snowstorms this year. Having to make lodging plans near work because I couldn't possibly get home was a lot more of an impact on quality of life then 30 degrees in air temperature.

Yearly temps are the same

"Frozen wasteland" is utterly laughable coming from someone in East Lansing. Let's compare the temp profiles of East Lansing with St. Paul:

East Lansing:
Avg. Yearly temp = 46F
Avg. Winter temp (Jan-Mar) = 26F

St. Paul:
Avg. Yearly temp = 46F
Avg. Winter temp (Jan-Mar) = 23F

Over the course of 12 months, the average temps in both East Lansing and St. Paul are 46F. THE SAME! And during the winter months were talking about 3 stinkin degrees. Maybe these morons at Spartantailgate should educate themselves with facts before making such ridiculous statements.

East Lansing: Monthly
High Avg; Low Avg; Yearly Mean
Jan 29°F 13°F 21°F
Feb 32°F 15°F 24°F
Mar 43°F 24°F 34°F
Apr 56°F 35°F 45°F
May 68°F 46°F 57°F
Jun 78°F 55°F 66°F
Jul 82°F 59°F 70°F
Aug 80°F 57°F 68°F
Sep 72°F 49°F 61°F
Oct 60°F 38°F 49°F
Nov 46°F 30°F 38°F
Dec 34°F 20°F 27°F

St. Paul: Monthly
High Avg; Low Avg; Yearly Mean
Jan 23°F 6°F 15°F
Feb 30°F 13°F 22°F
Mar 42°F 24°F 33°F
Apr 58°F 36°F 47°F
May 71°F 48°F 60°F
Jun 79°F 58°F 68°F
Jul 83°F 63°F 73°F
Aug 81°F 61°F 71°F
Sep 72°F 52°F 62°F
Oct 59°F 40°F 50°F
Nov 41°F 26°F 33°F
Dec 27°F 12°F 19°F

weather

when I came to the U it was from Anchorage and yes the winter was actually worse than Anchorage but a lot SHORTER (bad weather part) and spring and indian summer more than made up for it. I live in southern Idaho now and the weather is WAY better than Mpls, any time of the year, but the social setting is not so good and you have to listen to BSU fans, which is horribly grating

I think the most telling statement made by Tubby is he isn't looking to take on another rebuilding project...so he wont leave for another program in trouble...and he loves that he can fill half his roster with local talent and not have to travel all over to recruit...the money is not going to be the factor unless we are talking big time...and he is getting his practice facility...he waited 10 years at Kentucky so he'll wait a couple here.

If Tubby leaves, it will be because the U screws up, we don't build the practice facility or a high profile program loaded with talent has a coach bounce to the NBA or get sick and leave a great opportunity.

St Johns, Auburn, Georgia Tech don't match what we offer him....IMHO.

There are a lot of people who think that living in Minneapolis is like living in Barrow, Alaska. As if it is fun in the sun just across the border.

Top Bottom