Suggestion- Eliminate all NON-Revenue Sports- Focus on Football-Basketball- Hockey

millions2spare

Krav-Maga
Reaction score
I suggest the University choose to be EXCELLENT at 3 major sports--Football---basketball- and Hockey. We should maintain the absolute minimum to be BCS/big10/title iV qualified and create club teams for the rest. ..The majority of the population really does not care that much about the non-rev sports. Joel Maturi and a handful of Goldies are proud of his Athletic record ----I would say, the masses are not happy with mediocrity. With solid performance in the BIG 3 Athletic programs--the U of M will once again be a dominant University in the eyes of the public. Sports sells folks! The U of M needs a face lift.

Let's be the best at these---pick our poison and dominate in these 3 sports. Focus our revenue,resources, and reputaion becoming the BEST at them all.....ALA TEXAS!

Thoughts?

All I have is one thought: Good luck with that idea. You're going to need it.

Good bye Big Ten.

Kansas State has a VERY thin athletic dept, sports wise, and they hardly dominate.

the U of M will once again be a dominant University in the eyes of the public.

Thoughts?

first of all, Title IX.

second of all, our 28th, 20th, 16th, and 14th place finish in the last four Director's Cup standings seem pretty impressive to me.

I suggest the University choose to be EXCELLENT at 3 major sports--Football---basketball- and Hockey. All the other sports can have club teams...The majority of the population really does not care that much about the non-rev sports anyway. Joel Maturi and a handful of Goldies are proud of his Athletic record ----I would say, the masses are not happy with mediocrity. With solid performance in the BIG 3 Athletic programs--the U of M will once again be a dominant University in the eyes of the public. Sports sells folks! The U of M needs a face lift.

Let's be the best at these---pick our poison and dominate in these 3 sports. Focus our revenue,resources, and reputaion becoming the BEST at them all.....ALA TEXAS!

Thoughts?

I have one thought...you are a moron for such a stupid suggestion!

So we can attribute Oregon's basketball dominance to Phil Knight's largesse?

I suggest the University choose to be EXCELLENT at 3 major sports--Football---basketball- and Hockey. All the other sports can have club teams...The majority of the population really does not care that much about the non-rev sports anyway. Joel Maturi and a handful of Goldies are proud of his Athletic record ----I would say, the masses are not happy with mediocrity. With solid performance in the BIG 3 Athletic programs--the U of M will once again be a dominant University in the eyes of the public. Sports sells folks! The U of M needs a face lift.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? Any small inclination I had to listen to anything you have to say (I agree Maturi is in over his head) just went out the window. Nowhere in this thread were you did you come anywhere near a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber for having read it. Say hello (again) to my ignore list.

A minimum of 16 sports are required for a school to compete at the FBS level in football.

Thoughts?

Your suggestion is as moronic as your "location"/membership status. The athletics department is in the best position it's been in for many years. I question some of Maturi's decisions and support everyone's right to do so but the body of work he has put together for the entire department has been impressive.

And don't give me the BS that he hasn't supported the revenue sports. We have a new bleeping football stadium on campus and while it hasn't been all his doing he could have nixed it if he really wanted to, instead he was its biggest supporter. Plus he doled out a top-10 contract to a great basketball coach who could have gone to a number of other places or simply taken some time away from the game.

I don't like mediocrity either but we have a good basketball program on the rise to potentially the level of being a great program and a football program that has stumbled but could turn the corner in the next two years as the recruited talent finally takes the field. Hockey will be back...just a matter of time.

Quit your whining and support our teams and our university!

...this thread doesn't even deserve an intelligent response.

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sX161ulHrSA"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sX161ulHrSA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sX161ulHrSA"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sX161ulHrSA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

Darn, I was going to post that:(

hahaha exactly!

We are all dumber for having read the OP

The theory certainly does have merit. If Basketball, Football and Hockey were allowed to act as separate entities, they certainly would have more money for coaches and facilities. But this would have to be after major NCAA changes, and thus every other program in the country would have the same abilities and therefore we might not see an increase in wins despite the increased investment.

That thud you just heard ...

was Millions2Spare's credibility collapsing.

title IX requirements? BCS requirements? Big Ten requirements? Apparently trifling details.

for you non rev sports enthusiasts......whats the difference if they are club teams or real teams? Would you trade being the best at the tier 2 sports for a national title in football or hoops?

I would....and the university would have a better reputaion because of it....

for you non rev sports enthusiasts......whats the difference if they are club teams or real teams? Would you trade being the best at the tier 2 sports for a national title in football or hoops?

I would....and the university would have a better reputaion because of it....

This is a better performance than I anticipated. You failed to acknowledge a single one of the critiques leveled against you. Instead, you edited your initial post to reflect those critiques to make it seem like you're OP wasn't super duper crazy. How sneaky of you.

ok...as I said..maintain the minimum to be big10/ncaa/title iv qualified....would you trade being number one in non rev for a bball or football title?

ok...as I said..maintain the minimum to be big10/ncaa/title iv qualified....would you trade being number one in non rev for a bball or football title?

I would make that trade. If it were possible I would be all for it. I do not care how good the tennis team or the women's soccer team is, but I do care about FB and BB. Not knocking those other sports, nothing wrong with them, but I would guess the amount of money going into them is pretty small compared to the big boys.

ok...as I said after changing my OP without noting that I had done it in response to everyone pointing out how silly I was..maintain the minimum to be big10/ncaa/title iv qualified....would you trade being number one in non rev for a bball or football title?

Fixed it for you.

Did you ever think that University athletics are about the athletes themselves? You really think that fans of the 3 major sports (many of whom don't even have a connection to the university other than being from MN) should come before the athletes of other U of M sports? How thoughtful of you. Screw the other athletes because most people don't care to watch those sports.

hey U629-------- The university is a public university...I pay taxes to support it........also, just know that club sports allow all athletes to play as much s you want to..........

But there's the rub: that's NOT what you originally said. Your entire argument in the first post was to demote all sports not named football, basketball and hockey to the club level. Then, when called out for the obvious problems and complete irrationality of the first idea, you edited the first post to make it look like the idea actaully has merit, which it doesn't. In other words, the entire argument you are trying to make is absolute folly because you don't even understand the rudimentary facts and realities of running a major athletic department.

i other words MRJ---U r a bumbling fool..unable to focus on the spirit of the post.... -.so answer the question---would you trade championships in BB and football for your beloved second tier sports?

Should have chopped those sports a few years ago

In hindsight, I wish the U would have just let those sports a few years ago stay on the chopping block. Don't waste the money, put it toward the biggies (men's basketball & football). Hey, I'm a golfing nutjob, but golf and tennis (two of the sports that were on the chopping block) should be the first to go. Most of the kids in those programs are from other countries, anyways. It's not like we'd be taking opportunities away from a bunch of Minnesota kids.

The problem is that the 'spirit' of your post is completely off base. ALA Texas? TX has 19 sports including a lot of the same high buck moneymakers like rowing, golf, CC, S&D, T&F, etc. Furthermore, there is absolutely no certainty that it would even work. What would the Athletic Department do differently? Use the extra money to relocate our football program to the south? What exactly do you think would/could change?

In hindsight, I wish the U would have just let those sports a few years ago stay on the chopping block. Don't waste the money, put it toward the biggies (men's basketball & football). Hey, I'm a golfing nutjob, but golf and tennis (two of the sports that were on the chopping block) should be the first to go. Most of the kids in those programs are from other countries, anyways. It's not like we'd be taking opportunities away from a bunch of Minnesota kids.

I've wondered myself if it is time to cut some non revenue sports(not all). Your point about golf and tennis having kids from other countries is a concern. Should non revenue sports have a set number or percentage of scholarships go to MN natives.

I'm not sure of the make-up of the rowing team but I don't think there are too many high school rowing teams in MN. If we are providing 'opportunities' for athletes from other states or countries what is the purpose.

By my count the rowing team has 17 native MN's, Golf(M&W) both are 50% MN natives. Tennis does have more international players but.... They are all UofM students!!!

Top Bottom