Tubby and Saul Smith watching Winona vs Orono at Williams.

Reserve

Reaction score
Just being a Twitter stalker and keeping an eye on Tubby's whereabouts.

Tubby and Saul Smith watching Winona vs Orono at Williams.

On a side note .. you would think one of the local media hacks would corner him.

Maybe he's going to Winona State?

Maybe he's going to Winona State?

No way. He's going to Northern State. They've decided they will beat at Winona State at any cost. Don Meyer is a close personal friend, so it's pretty much a done deal. No word on if they will build a practice facility though.:D

Regarding Orono .. I read this on the Scout board this morning ..

I was at the Waconia (21-3) vs. Orono game (21-4) last night, which Waconia won to win the conference title. Saul Smith was there watching Shelby Moats. I asked him about him and he just said "we'll take him, we've been watching him for a while now" Smith said the Shelby will be at the Iowa game this weekend.

I believe this update was from March 4th.

I follow the HS basketball scene pretty closely but unfortunately have never seen him play. The impression I get from people though is more of a mid-major player. But again, NEVER seen him play.

No way. He's going to Northern State. They've decided they will beat at Winona State at any cost. Don Meyer is a close personal friend, so it's pretty much a done deal. No word on if they will build a practice facility though.:D

Your correct the final sticking point to the deal is NSU really wants a multi purpose facility not specific to basketball you know like for spring baseball and girls tennis . They are pushing for that hard. Tubby wants a basketball only facility. Now its up to Boards of Regents to decide, create a budget analysis, do a few studies, this could go either way.

What are peoples opinion on Moats? I have never seen him play so i am curious to see what others think.

I have coached against Waconia in a league last fall. He is about 6'5" or 6'6", very strong for a high school player. Lefty who kind of floats on the perimeter a bit, likes to shoot the 3. IMO, I would think that we could get someone as good elsewhere, but I think after a couple of years he could contribute. He kind of reminds me a little of a guy who played for Maryland a few years ago; Nick Caner-Medley (sp?) I believe. Similar games from my perspective.

Your correct the final sticking point to the deal is NSU really wants a multi purpose facility not specific to basketball you know like for spring baseball and girls tennis . They are pushing for that hard. Tubby wants a basketball only facility. Now its up to Boards of Regents to decide, create a budget analysis, do a few studies, this could go either way.

The SD Board of Regents is as dysfunctional as any. Sadly, NSU has a decent chance of being shut down in 2012 or shortly thereafter to 'cut costs'. Meanwhile, Coach Meyer is (or was) pushing for an expansion of the Barnett Center. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Top Bottom