Seth Davis on Tubby

dingo

Reaction score
Tubby Smith's name is going to be floated again this year because there is a widespread assumption that he is not all that happy at Minnesota. A source at the school told me that Smith is disappointed that the school has yet to build the practice facility it promised him, plus Smith does not believe the school backed him up enough this season by suspending some of his players for transgressions off the court. And as we all know, it is very cold in Minneapolis. Smith's name was linked to the vacancy at Auburn last weekend, but a source close to Smith told me that nobody that nobody has contacted Smith's representatives about any job. From what I'm told, Smith would not appreciate schools floating their interest in him through the media or other third parties, nor would he be inclined to take a job at Oregon if he knew the school preferred Alford.

Full Article

So I guess the jobs we do hear about are not the ones we should be worried about?

Also, glad to hear Brian Gregory has no interest in Iowa... because I think he is a darn good coach!

I have been meaning to post this for awhile. I think it is absolutely true that if we hear Tubby's name floated for a school you can cross that school off the list. Remember when he was hired here? Nobody knew it was even possible until just before the news conference -- like minutes before. I absolutely agree with dingo and Seth Davis on this one. (Not that I mean to lump the two of you together dingo, SD can be a pain in the a$$!) I think that is the way Tubby operates.

Can someone (FOT?) provide insight into whether that is consistent with Tubby's prior jobs?

The rest of the country just assumes MN is a mediocre job and based on all the speculation, I think a lot of MN fans do too! So whenever a school has an opening, their fans just assume they could hire Tubby. I think he is viewed around the country as one of the best coaches available, even if in reality he is not available. We don't need the ground hog to tell us when it's spring -- spring starts when the Tubby rumors begin.

Does anybody remember what other jobs were open when Tubby came here? I don't remember, but I think it might give everyone some perspective.

Ah for the good old Monson days when we hardly ever had to worry about anyone wanting to "steal" him away. (Washington was an aberation)

ZOMG MINNESODA IS COLD ALL THE TIEM, ROFLSTOMP.

National media pundits can blow a huge wang for this consistent message.

Minneapolis IS the coldest major city.

Do you guys not realize this?

I have been meaning to post this for awhile. I think it is absolutely true that if we hear Tubby's name floated for a school you can cross that school off the list. Remember when he was hired here? Nobody knew it was even possible until just before the news conference -- like minutes before. I absolutely agree with dingo and Seth Davis on this one. (Not that I mean to lump the two of you together dingo, SD can be a pain in the a$$!) I think that is the way Tubby operates.

Can someone (FOT?) provide insight into whether that is consistent with Tubby's prior jobs?

The rest of the country just assumes MN is a mediocre job and based on all the speculation, I think a lot of MN fans do too! So whenever a school has an opening, their fans just assume they could hire Tubby. I think he is viewed around the country as one of the best coaches available, even if in reality he is not available. We don't need the ground hog to tell us when it's spring -- spring starts when the Tubby rumors begin.

Does anybody remember what other jobs were open when Tubby came here? I don't remember, but I think it might give everyone some perspective.

Tubby got the Tulsa job in 1991 in large part becuse of his friendship with outgoing HC J.D. Barnett. There were no whispers about him leaving UK then but no giant surprise, either.

Tubby got the Georgia job in 1995 after his name was linked all spring (that year) with Ohio St job. The Georgia job possibility came very suddenly with no rumors.

Tubby got the UK job in 1997 within days of Pitino announcing he was leaving UK for Celtics. It was a "no brainer" for CM Newton although Billy Donovan was preferred by some of the players.

Tubby got the Minnesota job in 2007 at a time when anyone close to him KNEW he was unhappy. I knew he was leaving in October 2006 but had no idea where he was going. Even AD Mitch Barnhart was surprised that he left for Minnesota.

There are lots of D1 schools located in cold climates. The University of Wisconsin just to name one. And Minnesota in general and the Twin Cities in particular have many offsetting amenties. I for one think the Twin Cities are one of the best places to live in the country, and I understand that Tubby and his wife agree. What concerns me more is the handling of the Mbakwe suspension, which I think should have been lifted given the apparent weakness of the case against him, and the apparent lack of progress on the practice facility. Joel Maturi can and should address these concerns promptly and aggressively.

It seems pretty simple. If we had Jeremy Foley as our AD and not dithering Joel Maturi, a lot of these rumors probably wouldn't be happening.

William Wesley

Maybe FOT or one of the other recruiting knowledgable people can answer this for me-

William Wesley, a.k.a. Worldwide Wes, is on the verge of becoming an agent representing coaches for Creative Artists Agency.

Will that mean that the river of recruits that WWW is involved with will stop?

Just curious.

Not the first time Foley and Maturi have been linked.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/62649

Meh. I know he was nominated for this. And maybe it wasn't totally undeserved. Certainly he's good at some aspects of his job. But I don't give him all that much credit for getting the football stadium through the legislature, there were many others who had more to do with it. I don't know how much of the fundraising credit goes to him. And is the speed with which they raised the money good or poor? I honestly don't know.

But when it comes to the hiring and retaining and/or firing (or not) of the major coaches, he's left a lot to be desired.

Certainly Billy Donovan was rumored for Kentucky both times. And obviously the Orlando thing hurt him. But any rumors outside of those are noise and he's always quickly put them down. Tubby lets his linger. As others have noted, most likely to keep Maturi's feet to the fire on the practice facility, etc. Billy has no such concerns with Jeremy Foley.

Tubby got the Tulsa job in 1991 in large part becuse of his friendship with outgoing HC J.D. Barnett. There were no whispers about him leaving UK then but no giant surprise, either.

Tubby got the Georgia job in 1995 after his name was linked all spring (that year) with Ohio St job. The Georgia job possibility came very suddenly with no rumors.

Tubby got the UK job in 1997 within days of Pitino announcing he was leaving UK for Celtics. It was a "no brainer" for CM Newton although Billy Donovan was preferred by some of the players.

Tubby got the Minnesota job in 2007 at a time when anyone close to him KNEW he was unhappy. I knew he was leaving in October 2006 but had no idea where he was going. Even AD Mitch Barnhart was surprised that he left for Minnesota.

So, what about now?

Certainly Billy Donovan was rumored for Kentucky both times. And obviously the Orlando thing hurt him. But any rumors outside of those are noise and he's always quickly put them down. Tubby lets his linger. As others have noted, most likely to keep Maturi's feet to the fire on the practice facility, etc. Billy has no such concerns with Jeremy Foley.

Would feet to the fire equate to Donovan getting raises after both the Kentucky/Orlando offers?

Tubby Smith's name is going to be floated again this year because there is a widespread assumption that he is not all that happy at Minnesota. A source at the school told me that Smith is disappointed that the school has yet to build the practice facility it promised him, plus Smith does not believe the school backed him up enough this season by suspending some of his players for transgressions off the court. And as we all know, it is very cold in Minneapolis. Smith's name was linked to the vacancy at Auburn last weekend, but a source close to Smith told me that nobody that nobody has contacted Smith's representatives about any job. From what I'm told, Smith would not appreciate schools floating their interest in him through the media or other third parties, nor would he be inclined to take a job at Oregon if he knew the school preferred Alford.

Full Article

So I guess the jobs we do hear about are not the ones we should be worried about?

Also, glad to hear Brian Gregory has no interest in Iowa... because I think he is a darn good coach!

I think that Seth Davis is full of crap. His point of view means nothing to me. He never uses facts. It is always his opinion. Folks, please stop the panic. Tubby is not going anywhere. If he does it will be to the seat next to Seth's in CBS. Tubby is happy here. I was disappointed to see how few people showed up for the tip-off. Otherwise, everything has been great. Trevor and Royce deserved to be sidelined. I am sure that Tubby would agree with that too (my personal opinion).

Go Gophers

Would feet to the fire equate to Donovan getting raises after both the Kentucky/Orlando offers?

Hmm. It could have been that. Or the back-to-back national titles. It shouldn't take a lot of work to squeeze money out of Florida. They're pretty much swimming in it and give thier excess to the library and other University departments.

Tubby is very disappointed with the handling of RW and TM.It is obvious. Also, the promised practice facility without any action in 3 years is quite disturbing and almost an ethics violiation---bait and switch? If you worked for Joel and saw his hires-- (Breeeewster) and the extension of Borton---then watch the hockey program cumble under his watch......would you have confidence in your Boss and his ability to create a winning environment for the top tier revenue sports? Joel also has the audacity to brag up his athletic department as being the 8th best in the country? Sorry to say this folks, but the majority of the population wouldn't give a rats butt if we lost all those other minor sports and focussed our energy on the Big 3......football---basketball....hockey........

Tubby is very disappointed with the handling of RW and TM.It is obvious. Also, the promised practice facility without any action in 3 years is quite disturbing and almost an ethics violiation---bait and switch? If you worked for Joel and saw his hires-- (Breeeewster) and the extension of Borton---then watch the hockey program cumble under his watch......would you have confidence in your Boss and his ability to create a winning environment for the top tier revenue sports? Joel also has the audacity to brag up his athletic department as being the 8th best in the country? Sorry to say this folks, but the majority of the population wouldn't give a rats butt if we lost all those other minor sports and focussed our energy on the Big 3......football---basketball....hockey........

You're back to typing 1000% BS.

Yes, 1-0-0-0% BS.

I normally do not share what was told to me in confidence, but since Seth Davis has it in an article it seems like an open secret now. What Seth Davis wrote is almost verbatim what I had been told a few days ago. I am not an insider, and don't claim to be one. I do think it's probably reality that Tubby is very unhappy about not getting a practice facility built (or at least construction beginning) by now. Is he disgruntled enough to leave for a lateral at best job ? I have no answer on that and I am not sure anyone does.

Joel Maturi is doing his job EXACTLY the way President Bruininks demands that he do it. Otherwise, he would have been gone a long time ago. After the Clem Haskins fiasco there is no way that Bruininks is going to allow Tubby to dictate player discipline for infractions more serious than the simple violation of team rules. And if Tubby doesn't understand that the State of Minnesota is going through an economic meltdown resulting in huge funding cuts for the U - then he is welcome to leave for his dream job. The U has many more important needs than Tubby's crummy practice facility.

Joel Maturi is doing his job EXACTLY the way President Bruininks demands that he do it. Otherwise, he would have been gone a long time ago. After the Clem Haskins fiasco there is no way that Bruininks is going to allow Tubby to dictate player discipline for infractions more serious than the simple violation of team rules. And if Tubby doesn't understand that the State of Minnesota isgoing through an economic meltdown resulting in huge funding cuts for the U - then he is welcome to leave for his dream job. The U has many more important needs than Tubby's crummy practice facility.

If that is your attitude, then do not complain when the Gophers continue to fail to win in football and basketball. The schools that choose to compete in these sports make them a financial priority. NEW MEXICO has a practice facility, there is zero excuse for Minnesota to not already have one, much less not even broken ground on one. According to Johnny Gopher the quickness with which Michigan started on a practice facility when Belien asked for it has not gone unnoticed in the Smith household.

I realize my response might sound confrontational, but that is not my intent. I respect your viewpoint on the issue, I just disagree with it.

ok UPNG4 and you mediocrity lovers......for those who want a winning D1 bball and football program--then I guess mr bruninks must go as well...?

Maybe we can face facts that Minny is just not a great job, and there are many jobs out there that are better. Nothing to be ashamed of, but as long as people refuse to believe it, it will sting a little bit more. Not ripping the U or its BB coaching job in the least, just that there are many more jobs that are more attractive.

We understand. You don't think MN is a great job. No need to keep repeating.

Maybe we can face facts that Minny is just not a great job, and there are many jobs out there that are better. Nothing to be ashamed of, but as long as people refuse to believe it, it will sting a little bit more. Not ripping the U or its BB coaching job in the least, just that there are many more jobs that are more attractive.

Top Bottom