ESPN - GA Tech Opening

Steg Money

Reaction score
Just watched NIT halftime of UNC / UAB. Andy Katz reported that Paul Hewitt interviewed with St. John's for their opening. Doug Gottleib then asked what does that do with other jobs - specifically conjecturing Tubby Smith to Georgia Tech and then who goes to Minnesota? Not to start another rumor - but a Georgia Tech opening seems to make a lot more sense than Auburn.

Just watched NIT halftime of UNC / UAB. Andy Katz reported that Paul Hewitt interviewed with St. John's for their opening. Doug Gottleib then asked what does that do with other jobs - specifically conjecturing Tubby Smith to Georgia Tech and then who goes to Minnesota? Not to start another rumor - but a Georgia Tech opening seems to make a lot more sense than Auburn.

so doug gotlieb hears there <i>might</i> be an opening at gt, and the first person he comes up with for their new coach is tubby? sweet, even more rumors.

FWIW - this same thing was talked about on Fox Sports Radio on XM 142 today.

These Rumors Are KILLING Spring Recruiting

I doubt the Gophers sign any primary targets if they continue.

If your friend came out and said he's staying that wouldn't be an issue. If that isn't the case and he does packs up and leaves, he leaves us with 3 players short if Cobbs is gone. At this point I say go if he's looking for something else. We'll attract a good coach.

The only person that can really put a stop to them is Tubby. If he leaves absolutely no wiggle room in his statements that he will be back, the rumors will probably stop. If he leaves wiggle room, he brings the rumors upon himself.

The difference between all the other baseless rumors and the Georgia Tech ones are this is a legit story with some legs to it no matter how much FOT wants to bury his head in the sand.

FOX sports was talking about the Minny job on the air this afternoon - saying that it was a good job, not a great one, but a good one, and no one knew who the Gophers would go after if Tubby left...

Pitt and Nova were good jobs until Dixon and Wright got there. Same for MSU and Izzo, Painter might be creating the same thing at Purdue. The junior class in-state down to the 8th grade has some nice talent without another in-state college to compete with. Other than Rodney Williams, Tubby hasn't been here long enough to reap the benefits of being the only show in town. This squad is drastically different if Aldrich and or Leuer is on the roster. If he sticks around, he could have a hell of a team and will only need 6-7 out of state players to fill out a Top 20 roster. We'll get the practice facility down the road too. It's not the end of the world if he bolts other than the tough spot he puts us in with 2-3 holes on the roster.

Here's What Jay Wright Of Villanova Said TODAY

The only person that can really put a stop to them is Tubby. If he leaves absolutely no wiggle room in his statements that he will be back, the rumors will probably stop. If he leaves wiggle room, he brings the rumors upon himself.

Wright’s message Tuesday was the same as years past: He wants to end his career with the Wildcats. He says, “I love my job here. I intend to be at Villanova next year.”

Tubby said pretty much EXACTLY the same thing, yet no one believes him.

The next week will be big. If Tubby decides to stay (lets assume he is listening to what others have to say..where there is smoke there is fire)...then I think we can keep him for several more years as the team looks strong the next few years. If he bolts (lets hope not) then another home run hire is needed to keep the team in place and land a big recruit. If he bolts for GA Tech, we could almost for sure kiss Sampson goodbye.

Team would take a big step back if Tubby left now.

The difference between all the other baseless rumors and the Georgia Tech ones are this is a legit story with some legs to it no matter how much FOT wants to bury his head in the sand.

Tubby says No. He know more than you or I do.

He knows A LOT MORE than you do.

And I MF-ing Quote...

Wright’s message Tuesday was the same as years past: He wants to end his career with the Wildcats. He says, “I love my job here. I intend to be at Villanova next year.”

Tubby said pretty much EXACTLY the same thing, yet no one believes him.

Minnesota basketball coach Tubby Smith said ... "I'm not a candidate for any other job.''

Smith ... "there's no truth to it'' that he's interested in leaving Minnesota.

And yet, Wright says damn near the same thing.

The next week will be big. If Tubby decides to stay (lets assume he is listening to what others have to say..where there is smoke there is fire)...then I think we can keep him for several more years as the team looks strong the next few years. If he bolts (lets hope not) then another home run hire is needed to keep the team in place and land a big recruit. If he bolts for GA Tech, we could almost for sure kiss Sampson goodbye.

Where would Sampson go? He isn't going to sit out a year and won't get drafted either?

If your friend came out and said he's staying that wouldn't be an issue. If that isn't the case and he does packs up and leaves, he leaves us with 3 players short if Cobbs is gone. At this point I say go if he's looking for something else. We'll attract a good coach.

How would you comprehend this?

Minnesota basketball coach Tubby Smith said ... "I'm not a candidate for any other job.''

Oh boy....FOT vs. Johnny...this is getting good. Time to grab the popcorn and call Dr Don to bring over his fridge! :)

I see your point (below).

I personally dont think he leaves, but what the hell do I know...nothing.

I do think it is possible though - IMO Minnesota is just not that great of a job compared to many of the power 6 jobs. A lot to compete with in the market here and not a lot of good recent history.

Oh boy....FOT vs. Johnny...this is getting good. Time to grab the popcorn and call Dr Don to bring over his fridge! :)

Tubby says:

Pretty simple English that even people who elected Jesse Ventura Governor and Al Franken Senator can understand.

Tubby says:

Pretty simple English that even people who elected Jesse Ventura Governor and Al Franken Senator can understand.

Perfect. Insulting Minnesotans should make everyone believe you. :cool:

Tubby says:

Hold that thought, FOT, while I bust out my dictionary so I can decifer these big words due to my lack of intelligence being a Minnesota native and all....I see the stereotyping goes both ways in this world. :(

Hold that thought, FOT, while I bust out my dictionary so I can decifer these big words due to my lack of intelligence being a Minnesota native and all....I see the stereotyping goes both ways in this world. :(

They AREN'T big words. They're quite simple and easy to understand.

Try it.

I don't have much interest in debating this fool but he's hard to ignore since he is on the site all day and posts in every thread.

I have been following Gopher sports my entire life and I will continue too long after Tubby Smith is no longer our coach, I can't say the same for others so I won't lose much sleep over it.

It's not about believing ME. Those are Tubby's words, QUOTED.

What will you say if he leaves?

I don't want to say I told you so, but I mentioned this Ga Tech deal much earlier today. You shouldn't be very surprised this is coming up. Tubby probably wasn't "a candidate for other jobs" because this job wasn't open yet. (But it will be.) This is the real deal and has legs. I hope Tubby stays but just a lot of smoke.

I guess what I'm really curious is, does Donna want out of Minnestoa as bad as some people are saying? What is her opinion of living here buddy old pal?

What will you say if he leaves?

I don't want to say I told you so, but I mentioned this Ga Tech deal much earlier today. You shouldn't be very surprised this is coming up. Tubby probably wasn't "a candidate for other jobs" because this job wasn't open yet. (But it will be.) This is the real deal and has legs. I hope Tubby stays but just a lot of smoke.

I guess what I'm really curious is, does Donna want out of Minnestoa as bad as some people are saying? What is her opinion of living here buddy old pal?

you need to chill out bud.

you need to chill out bud.

Whoa. Ok. I honestly am not trying to be a Richard. I see that came off a bit more abrasive than I was trying to be. I'm actually interested as to why FoT is so adamant Tubby won't leave. We all know coaches say things that they may not totally believe. He has to say things like that, I don't even blame him.

And I've genuinely very, very interested in Donna's opinion of living here. Not everyone likes it here. I don't hold it against her if true. I've just heard it from a lot of "sources." Most of them I don't really believe. So I'm really curious if anyone closer to the situation has thoughts because I think that has a big affect on whether Tubby is here longterm or not.

Sorry if I came off abrasive. I see how it reads like that. I'm not trying to be, this is just the scenario w/ Hewitt and Ga. Tech I was hoping wouldn't open up.

Top Bottom