Practice Facility Update

16FeetUnder

Section 238
Reaction score
My office was recently brought on board to work on this building similar to the football stadium. There have been a few myths floating around about it that I can verify.

1. It will be located on the west side of Williams.
2. It will include 2 courts next to each other.
3. Part of the building has 2 stories (presumably for offices) and part of the building has a basement.

Right now I don't know what other facilities will be included such as weight rooms, locker rooms, etc, but I'll post when I find out more.

My office was recently brought on board to work on this building similar to the football stadium. There have been a few myths floating around about it that I can verify.

3. Part of the building has 2 stories (presumably for offices) and part of the building has a basement.

Right now I don't know what other facilities will be included such as weight rooms, locker rooms, etc, but I'll post when I find out more.

No, wait, I read right here on Gopherhole that Gophers weren't going to build it and Tubby would leave.

What happened?

Accuracy, I guess.

FOT, you have little history at Minnesota outside of Tubby's tenure so you don't know how this University works. There have been drawings for the new Baseball stadium for 10+ years, still several years away from moving dirt, the football stadium drawings we're out long before construction started, I have little doubt it will get built eventually, but the issue is when and tubby wants it done yesterday and at this University it just won't happen. Having someone come up with a plan is a good first step but a long ways from meaning it will get done in a timely manner.

FOT, you have little history at Minnesota outside of Tubby's tenure so you don't know how this University works. There have been drawings for the new Baseball stadium for 10+ years, still several years away from moving dirt, the football stadium drawings we're out long before construction started, I have little doubt it will get built eventually, but the issue is when and tubby wants it done yesterday and at this University it just won't happen. Having someone come up with a plan is a good first step but a long ways from meaning it will get done in a timely manner.

Tubby coached at UK for 10 years, no practice facility. Tubby's friend (from Tulsa) Joe Craft finally gave several $ million in 2007 so the facility was completed for Gillispie.

10 years is pretty close to eventually.

I agree with your general thought here that the University likes to take their time, but I would say that my field of work doesn't usually get involved with a building unless it is nearly a sure thing and the project is moving forward at a good pace. When I know landmark dates for the project I'll post that info as well.

Great post. This is why I come to GH in the first place.

Do any buildings have to be acquired and demolished to make room for the practice facility?

Can you define "west of Williams". Towards what street is West?

West of Williams is towards Church Street, which runs thru the IT. I believe there are some surface lots immediately behind Williams - any new facility there could easily replace much of that parking with underground spots? Any further due west and you're in the heart of campus.

I certainly hope this facility gets built sooner than later.

Great post. This is why I come to GH in the first place.
+1. I have to say that one of my favorite parts of the leadup to TCF were 16Feet and umnhcky's updates and photos. I didn't realize how much more I knew about the project thanks to posters here on GH until I'd talk with other huge Gopher fans who don't post/lurk here. :)

I guess I meant northwest of Williams. In any case, it's the parking lot adjacent to the back of Williams. I don't know about the existing buildings that boarder that parking lot, but I can't imagine the university would want to go through the hassle of acquiring them (some may be historic). Although, with the high price tag of this facility, that might be an option.

I guess I meant northwest of Williams. In any case, it's the park ing lot adjacent to the back of Williams. I don't know about the existing buildings that boarder that parking lot, but I can't imagine the university would want to go through the hassle of acquiring them (some may be historic). Although, with the high price tag of this facility, that might be an option.

Super posting re PF progress!

Since this is a much smaller project in scope that TCFBS or the proposed BBS, does this mean that the U is likely to fast track it?

Do you get a sense that the PF is moving along aggressively...for the U...now that your firm is involved?

Thanks and please keep updating!

West of Williams is towards Church Street, which runs thru the IT. I believe there are some surface lots immediately behind Williams - any new facility there could easily replace much of that parking with underground spots? Any further due west and you're in the heart of campus.

I certainly hope this facility gets built sooner than later.

The lot referred to is the one across 4th street from Ridder arena and directly adjacent to the Sports Pavilion.

http://www1.umn.edu/twincities/maps/WmsA/

This makes a lot of sense to me. I'm not sure of the layout of the Sports Pavilion and Williams right now. Do the two already connect underground? I'm guessing some sort of interior walkway will be part of the plan???

What does west side really mean? The stadium isn't really east/west.

Is that the parking lot or by the student entrances along University AVE?

Super posting re PF progress!

Since this is a much smaller project in scope that TCFBS or the proposed BBS, does this mean that the U is likely to fast track it?

Do you get a sense that the PF is moving along aggressively...for the U...now that your firm is involved?

Thanks and please keep updating!

Acronyms FTL...

They have a new locker room and the weight room is right next to Williams, I don't see either being included in the new facility. The players lounge areas and theater rooms are key now days for recruiting.

http://www.wvmountaineersports.com/myimages/BasketballPracticeFacilityFlyer.pdf - Good example w/ costs.

Yes, I believe the Gophers basketball team currently works out in southwest side of Mariucci Arena.

The men's hockey staff also proposed using a to be determined amount of fund raising dollars for a remodel of team areas in Mariccui Arena's lower level providing a more efficient use of the space in 2011. ICA would also like to include a remodel the current weight room in Mariucci Arena as it is utilized by teams other than men's hockey and the space is in need of expansion/refurbishment to accommodate the additional teams and recruiting needs. - http://www.gopherpucklive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9083

Top Bottom