Solid 1st weekend recap by Pat Forde

Here's the best/most telling sentance/stat in the whole piece.

There isn't a single team in the Sweet 16 with double-digit losses, and the average win total is 28.7.

I don't know if I got the black coaches comment.

I couldn't find the number in a quick internet search - but how many black head coaches are there currently?

One made it to the Sweet 16 - but is that ratio proportional with the number of black coaches that are out there? If so, not really a talking point IMO.

Anyone know this?

Now that I think about it more - it is probably more prudent to discuss the number of black head coaches in "major" conferences.

Big Ten
Big East
ACC
SEC
Big 12
Pac 10
Atlantic 10
Conference USA
Mountain West

These teams make up the majority of sweet 16 bids.

Top 6 Schools (All-Time)

UCLA, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, IU. All HC are white.

Syracuse, West Va, Villanova. All HC are white.

Florida, Tennessee. Both HC are white.

Kansas St, Texas, Okla St. The HC are white.

Trending white.

We know there is only one black HC in the BT. Not more than 4 in the Big East or 3 in the Pac 10. Big 12 - 2? SEC - 2?

From the conferences above out of about 100 teams I doubt there are much more than a dozen black HCs - and since there are teams from the WCC, Ivy, and Horizon in the sweet 16 - to only have 1 black HC in the sweet 16 is not far from the current proportion of black HCs in major conferences if you look at the numbers.

So Forde's point is pretty irrelevent to me - a better point would be simply to point out the disproportion of black HCs in these conferences.

Top Bottom