The List: Head Coaching Openings

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
For those who like to speculate about Tubby's departure, here's an unofficial list of head coaching openings. I'll update it as the positions are filled. Let me know if there are others.

FWIW, the only ones I could see Tubby leaving Minnesota for (if there's interest in him) are Oregon and St. John's. Oregon because money (Nike) would be no issue + a brand-spanking new arena, St. John's because of its tradition and it's New York.

1. Cal-Irvine (Big West)
2. Central Florida (Conference USA)
3. Charlotte (A-10)
4. Dartmouth (Ivy League)
5. DePaul (Big East)
6. Gardner-Webb (Atlantic Sun)
7. Hofstra (Colonial)
8. Houston (Conference USA)
9. Iowa (Big 10)
10. Louisiana-Lafayette (Sun Belt)
11. North Carolina-Wilmington (Colonial)
12. Oregon (Pac 10)
13. Penn (Ivy League)
14. St. John's (Big East)
15. Seton Hall (Big East)
16. Toledo (MAC)
17. UTEP (Conference USA)
18. Wagner (Northeast)

Compared to most years, it's not that attractive of a list. If Tubby does leave, Minnesota shoots to the top of it, or close to it.

I think the interesting item is if Paul Hewitt bolts from Georgia Tech to St. John's.

It wouldn't be unreasonable for Tubby to be on their wish list.

DePaul is a program that I can't figure out why they're not better. Tubby won't go there, but they have the ingredients to be a great program (just look at all the Chicago talent around the country this year).

DePaul is a program that I can't figure out why they're not better. Tubby won't go there, but they have the ingredients to be a great program (just look at all the Chicago talent around the country this year).

DePaul plays their "home" games in Allstate Arena (formerly the Rosemont Horizon), which is at least 15 miles from their Lincoln Park campus. I read an interview with their AD who said that due to the density issues of their campus and surrounding neighborhoods, it is highly unlikely that they will ever be able to build a suitable on-campus arena.

It's going to be a long time before they'll be able to convince the top players from CHI to sign with DePaul.

Sorry, but I'm getting cranky now. Well, not that sorry really. First all the Tubby talk grabbed me, but now it's growing wearisome. If the man finds a job he thinks he will like better, then "Thanks for what you've accomplished thus far" and wave goodbye. What's really perturbing are all the people who make blanket statements like "Tubby won't go to DePaul" or "Tubby would go to a place like St. John's." Like your hardwired to Tubby's brain. Listen, the guy's coached Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky and Minnesota at least. He'll go anywhere that strikes his fancy and suits his purpose. Now, since I fancy a hot shower and my purpose is to get cleaned up, that's where I'm going. Tubby can do what he wants.

Really, the only positive thing I can see out of Tubby leaving would be that you go with him. At least in theory, anyways. I'm sure the Kentucky folks thought the same thing.

Really, the only positive thing I can see out of Tubby leaving would be that you go with him. At least in theory, anyways. I'm sure the Kentucky folks thought the same thing.

I post regularly on the best UK fan website (ASOB) but their moderators don't allow the krap that GH does.

First all the Tubby talk grabbed me, but now it's growing wearisome. If the man finds a job he thinks he will like better, then "Thanks for what you've accomplished thus far" and wave goodbye. What's really perturbing are all the people who make blanket statements like "Tubby won't go to DePaul" or "Tubby would go to a place like St. John's." Like your hardwired to Tubby's brain. Listen, the guy's coached Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky and Minnesota at least. He'll go anywhere that strikes his fancy and suits his purpose. Now, since I fancy a hot shower and my purpose is to get cleaned up, that's where I'm going. Tubby can do what he wants.

I find it much easier to believe what Tubby said in the first place and I quote, well actually he quotes-

I'm very pleased with what we've accomplished here. I'm pleased with where we are in the program," said Tubby Smith. "I'm looking forward to coming back to Minnesota."

I'm just not sure why so people have such a hard time accepting what he's saying.

I find it much easier to believe what Tubby said in the first place and I quote, well actually he quotes-

Well now, you just blew me right over with your snowy arctic blast and totally inaccurate assessment of what my post said. But you're creative, I'll give you that.

Marcus is Tweeting that G. Tech will be tough for Tubby to turn down if the Hewitt domino falls. Is it a given he'd even be thier top candidate though?

It's going to be a long time before they'll be able to convince the top players from CHI to sign with DePaul.

i would accept a scholarship to depaul in a second. that campus is in the middle of one of the most desirable neighborhoods in chicago.

who wouldn't want to spend four years rent free in lincoln park?

The Georgia Tech job is the one creating all the local talk that guys like Lein have been talking about. If hewitt goes to St. Johns, then the Tubby leaving talk will have soem legs to it. Tubby has alot of history in georgia as does Jirsa and we have recruited there alot(RS3, Rice Jr., Miller). Outside of Maryland job, this is the big one to be worried about, and save yourself the time FOT with your little smart ass response.

The Georgia Tech job is the one creating all the local talk that guys like Lein have been talking about. If hewitt goes to St. Johns, then the Tubby leaving talk will have soem legs to it. Tubby has alot of history in georgia as does Jirsa and we have recruited there alot(RS3, Rice Jr., Miller). Outside of Maryland job, this is the big one to be worried about, and save yourself the time FOT with your little smart ass response.

No time at all. Ga Tech will be his 2nd shift (afternoon) coaching job.

He's going to take 3 new jobs (to increase his W total faster). Auburn in the morning, Ga Tech in the afternoon, and Oregon in the evening. Probably 50 W to 60 W (+) every year until he retires.

I think you've hit on something. We're all worried about Tubby leaving. Joel Maturi claims he can't afford to give Tubby a raise. So...let's split him with Oregon! The Pac 10 frequently plays a Thursday/Sunday schedule, while the Big 10 has tradionally been Wednesday/Saturday. There's no reason they can't pull it off with Phil Knight's big private jet. It worked for my high school when they couldn't afford a Superintendent any more. It can work for this too. :cool02:

I think you've hit on something. We're all worried about Tubby leaving. Joel Maturi claims he can't afford to give Tubby a raise. So...let's split him with Oregon! The Pac 10 frequently plays a Thursday/Sunday schedule, while the Big 10 has tradionally been Wednesday/Saturday. There's no reason they can't pull it off with Phil Knight's big private jet. It worked for my high school when they couldn't afford a Superintendent any more. It can work for this too. :cool02:

Exactly. The new wave in HC is job sharing.

Imagine when/if Ga Tech plays Auburn or Oregon.

Tubby and Saul can alternate.

Georgia Tech is good job and probably better than Minnesota in regards to recruiting. Minnesota might have a better fan base. I wouldn't blame him for looking at Georgia Tech. Virginia, Auburn, and Oregon would be lateral moves at best and it would rub me wrong if he left for one of those jobs.

PA on KFAN is now saying Billy Donovan is leaving for Oregon and Tubby is in at Florida.
This is getting to be hilarious.

List updated

Hofstra and UTEP now open.

Barbee (UTEP) to Auburn, Pecora (Hofstra) to Fordham.

Top Bottom