State Tournament - St. Paul Johnson

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the State Tourney starting tomorrow and a chance to watch the state best team. St. Paul Johnson is an impressive 29-0, with some wins over some impressive 4A wins including beating Hopkins this season. The Governors open play Wednesday against Hutchinson at Williams Arena, 10am.

http://preps.startribune.com/teamschedule.php?yid=0910&tid=3536 - Schedule and results.

Head Coach Vern Simmons is a St. Paul police officer and the police department's liaison officer at St. Paul Johnson High School.

VS: I think the balance is the biggest thing with our team. We can play 12 guys. And it wouldn't be much of a drop-off to the 12th guy. That's what makes this team so good.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_14736640?nclick_check=1

Estan Tyler, junior, St. Paul Johnson. Floor general who runs the show for what's arguably the state's best team. - All-Metro first team | StarTribune.com

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=6732 - Prior Estan Tyler thread.

How I wish there was only one or two classes. It would be fun to watch Johnson play Hopkins.

Yeah I'd much prefer to see Johnson go back to 4A (where they were as recently as my junior year of high school, so...2006/2007 season probably--I think they flipped the section/class assignments after that). I hate it when teams drop down when they clearly have the talent and the capability to play up. Just cause their enrollment numbers have dropped clearly doesn't mean that they should go down to 3A. Will respect them again when they move up (which they damn well better after this season). I feel the same way about hockey. Respect the heck out of Roseau & Moorhead and others for playing up. Don't respect teams like St. Thomas Academy, Breck, and Warroad who continue to stay down in 1A and win a great deal more.

Estan Tyler is defiantly one of the guys I'm looking forward to watching this tournament.

I was also hoping to get a look at Johnny Woodard, but they got knocked off by Forrest Lake in the final round before state.

I was at the playoff game where Apple Valley lost to Eastview. Still mixed on Tyus Jones, I have to keep remembering he is only in 8th grade. Amazing court vision, but plays almost no defense and should have picked up a couple technicals during that game. Eastview has a very strong pg (Vinard Birch), several times Tyus went up got stripped or lost the ball driving the lane, then shoved the closest guy he could reach. I know it was only frustration and he is 13, but it was little strange.

From the August thread;

Since shooter let the cat out of the bag today, The Gophers men's basketball team is interested in 6-foot-2 guard Estan Tyler, who will be a junior this fall at St. Paul Johnson and has starred for ex-Timberwolf Chris Carr's "43 Hoops" AAU summer team.

Saul thinks he's the best player in the state regardlesss of class. Not so sure that height is legit unless he has grown 2-3 inches this summer.

My HS alma... go Governors!! producing one gopher per decade.

There will maybe be a 2nd round match-up of Johnson - Winona. St. Paul will then be matched up against the 7-footer Alec Brown.

The most recent one out of Johnson HS to make it was fullback Thomas Tapeh.

Hutch led 10-9....Johnson then outscored them 71-27.

80-37 final.

Winona wins 70-57.

Alec Brown had 35 points and 12 rebounds.
Mark Blacklock had 25 and 6.

alec brown is a twig blacklock is the real stud on that team

Blacklock has some ups, pretty athletic and a decent size, but having a 7 footer next to you attracting defenders only helps his game. Brown wasn't as skinny as I thought, nice touch and fairly athletic himself. 60 points combined isn't shabby.

I see Winona has only lost one game this year and they got beat 80-54 by a poor Farmington team. Anyone who follows the team know how that happened? Injury?

St. Paul Johnson vs. Winona should provide some match up problems for both teams.

The Farmington game was very early on in the season and they were without Brown.

Blacklock has some ups, pretty athletic and a decent size, but having a 7 footer next to you attracting defenders only helps his game. Brown wasn't as skinny as I thought, nice touch and fairly athletic himself. 60 points combined isn't shabby.

I see Winona has only lost one game this year and they got beat 80-54 by a poor Farmington team. Anyone who follows the team know how that happened? Injury?

St. Paul Johnson vs. Winona should provide some match up problems for both teams.

Brown was out for the first few games of the season.

I wish they could drop a couple classes. Hate the tournament since they have added two classes. Great teams are not getting the recognition they deserve.

What is St. Paul Johnson's style of play? How does their size compare to Winona? Are they a fast-paced team?

What is St. Paul Johnson's style of play? How does their size compare to Winona? Are they a fast-paced team?

I have only seen them play twice this season. I can tell you they are extremely fast, always sub in fresh legs and converting rebounds and turnovers into fast breaks. For what it's worth, here's what the TC Hoops Czar had to say coming into todays match-ups - http://tchoops.blogspot.com/

Class 3A
Hutchinson vs Johnson. If you haven't experienced Johnson during the year, its really hard to grasp just how good they are defensively. Play zone, pack it in tight and make Johnson slow down and make shots. Then don't give Johnson easy points off of turnovers. Johnson is a heavy favorite, but that strategy will allow Hutch to keep it close.

Orono vs Winona. This is game for me that has the most intrigue. Orono will throw the kitchen sink of traps at Winona's guards to try and offset the huge size advantage of Alec Brown and Mark Blacklock inside. You'll see zone traps, full court pressure, man pressure with run and jump along with some scramble. Very hard to prepare for them which makes their 2 wins over league rivals in section play more impressive. If I'm Winona, I put Brown in the high post/top of the key area to break pressure and let him feed Blacklock down low all night. Nothing like a 7-footer to be a 1 man press break. Expect Winona to go zone which will give Orono plenty of looks from deep. If Orono gets a lead in this one and forces Winona to come out and play man, then it could out of hand. Orono loves to play spread ball and its not a good matchup for Winona to come out and play against it.

Well Winona kept it close for much of the game but a late run put Johnson up and Winona had no answer.

How about Grand Rapids taking out #2 seed DeLaSalle and #3 Benilde-St. Margaret’s to face SPJ for the 3A title on Saturday. Should be a good one, have to go with Johnson.

Top Bottom