A look back at preseason objectives (2 for 6)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Here's an update on the preseason objectives I set for the Gophers. These goals were formulated prior to the Royce White/Trevor Mbakwe off-court issues. I would hope next year things are much more settled for the Gophers off the court and in the classroom.

(1) Beat Michigan State -- Goal achieved. Gophers beat Sparty in BTT quarterfinals.

(2) Win @ Illinois for the first time since 1996 -- Goal achieved. Gophers won nail-biter in Champaign late in the season. As it turns out, in all probability if the Gophers had lost this game they would not have been selected for the NCAA Tournament field.

(3) Lose 2 or less games at Williams Arena -- Goal not achieved, lost 3. Lost to Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue.

(4) Earn a bye (#5 seed or better) for the Big Ten Tournament -- Goal not achieved. Gophers were #6 seed in Indianapolis.

(5) Have a 1st- or 2nd-team All-Big 10 performer -- Goal not achieved. Lawrence Westbrook was honorable-mention.

(6) Win a NCAA Tournament game for the first time since 1997 -- Goal not achieved. Gophers looked like a capable & game outfit in the first half, but Xavier pulled away in the final 10 minutes.

Here are some early objectives for the 2010-11 Gophers. I'm setting these with the assumption Mbakwe and Al Nolen will be available to Tubby, but not White or Cory Joseph.

(1) This first one's all on Joe Esposito and Tubby. ... The Gophers begin a home-and-home (if it starts on the road, that's OK) with any major conference program (encompasses 62 programs among the ACC, Big East, Big 12, Pac 10 & SEC), or absent that a highly respected program from outside the Big 6. Some suitable examples would be: BYU, Butler, Dayton, Gonzaga, Memphis, New Mexico, Northern Iowa, Old Dominion, San Diego State, Temple, UNLV, Utah State, UTEP, VCU, Wichita State or Xavier.

(2) Beat Michigan State and/or Purdue on the road.

(3) Sweep Michigan. No explanation necessary.

(4) Lose no more than 1 Big Ten game at Williams Arena.

(5) Earn a bye (#5 seed or better) for the Big Ten Tournament. I will continue banging this drum until it happens. In the 13-year history of the BTT, the Gophers have only accomplished this once (2005). ... that's pathetic.

(6) Have a first-team All-Big 10 performer. This will be Tubby's fourth year at the helm. It's time to have a truly elite Big 10 performer. Devoe and Ralph (it's time for RSIII to develop consistency & toughness) appear to be the most likely candidates.

(7) Sweet 16 is my expectation, but at minimum win a NCAA Tournament game. With Baylor's success in the NCAA this year, Minnesota is now one of only 10 major conference programs yet to win a NCAA tourney game since 2000. The others are: Clemson, Colorado, Florida State, Nebraska, Northwestern, Oregon State, Rutgers, South Carolina and South Florida. For the most part, that's company I don't want to be keeping.

Nicely done.

I'll propose one addition to next year's expectations: continue to dominate the border battles and win at least 3 out of 4 games against Wisconsin and Iowa. This is all about recruiting. We've had good success against them the last couple of years, but I'm not sure we've seen that pay off yet in the recruiting space, especially against bucky. These wins will help keep us top of mind, and also help us against emerging mid-majors like Northern Iowa.

Nicely done.

I'll propose one addition to next year's expectations: continue to dominate the border battles and win at least 3 out of 4 games against Wisconsin and Iowa. This is all about recruiting. We've had good success against them the last couple of years, but I'm not sure we've seen that pay off yet in the recruiting space, especially against bucky. These wins will help keep us top of mind, and also help us against emerging mid-majors like Northern Iowa.

There will only be 3.

Here's an update on the preseason objectives I set for the Gophers.

The Gophers begin a home-and-home (if it starts on the road, that's OK) with any major conference program (encompasses 62 programs among the ACC, Big East, Big 12, Pac 10 & SEC), or absent that a highly respected program from outside the Big 6. Some suitable examples would be: BYU, Butler, Dayton, Gonzaga, Memphis, New Mexico, Northern Iowa, Old Dominion, San Diego State, Temple, UNLV, Utah State, UTEP, VCU, Wichita State or Xavier.

We'll have a home game in the Big 10/ACC challenge game (we knew that).
The Gophers are at St. Joe's this year (we knew that).
It has been reported we open with Sienna at home (we knew that).
We also apparently are hosting Wofford (with the MN kids).

I don't know much more than that. Wouldn't hold my breath on any home-and-home with a BCS school knowing we have an ACC at home, play at St. Joe's, and could face North Carolina, West Virginia, and a few others in San Juan.

Trust me TJ, I'm not holding my breath. We have not played a major conference opponent at home in Tubby's three years, outside of the required ACC opponent (Virginia 2008-09 season). I expect to hear the same excuses next season.

Outside of the ACC opponent (if it's at The Barn), I expect all other non-Big 10 home foes not named Siena or Wofford to be the caliber of Utah Valley/Brown. That's why I'm hopeful we start a home-and-home on the road so that, in theory, the 2011-12 home NC sked will definitely include a desirable home opponent. Again, I'm not expecting it, as that would require 5 games away from home (3 neutral, 2 road) as opposed to 4.

I hope Blake gets a chance at getting 1st team, if he can average 15+ and keep up his assists. I know it's a big stretch.

For next years expectations I will add 2. Keep everybody eligible and on the team, and be in the top 3 in the Big Ten for team GPA, preferably top 2.

Nice set of preliminary objectives for next year. I like replacing #6 with TheSportsAce's suggestion adding the continued domination of our Border Rivals. This isn't that important in the grand scheme of things, or in terms of 'team goals'. Leave that one for the players to have as an individual goal.

After all Illinois had McCamey on the first team, and where did that land them. Nowhere significant, that's for sure. Shurna, 2nd team (and maybe deserved 1st) - ditto for NU.

"After all Illinois had McCamey on the first team, and where did that land them. Nowhere significant, that's for sure. Shurna, 2nd team (and maybe deserved 1st) - ditto for NU."

Can't argue wuth you there, but I would counter with, "Where did it leave the Gophers?" It was very apparent during the Xavier game that we don't have a stud. A lot of solid pieces, but not a stud. Not going to get where we want to go (deep into the NCAAs) without a stud, in my opinion.

Here's an update on the preseason objectives I set for the Gophers. These goals were formulated prior to the Royce White/Trevor Mbakwe off-court issues. I would hope next year things are much more settled for the Gophers off the court and in the classroom.

(1) Beat Michigan State -- Goal achieved. Gophers beat Sparty in BTT quarterfinals.

(2) Win @ Illinois for the first time since 1996 -- Goal achieved. Gophers won nail-biter in Champaign late in the season. As it turns out, in all probability if the Gophers had lost this game they would not have been selected for the NCAA Tournament field.

(3) Lose 2 or less games at Williams Arena -- Goal not achieved, lost 3. Lost to Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue.

(4) Earn a bye (#5 seed or better) for the Big Ten Tournament -- Goal not achieved. Gophers were #6 seed in Indianapolis.

(5) Have a 1st- or 2nd-team All-Big 10 performer -- Goal not achieved. Lawrence Westbrook was honorable-mention.

(6) Win a NCAA Tournament game for the first time since 1997 -- Goal not achieved. Gophers looked like a capable & game outfit in the first half, but Xavier pulled away in the final 10 minutes.

Here are some early objectives for the 2010-11 Gophers. I'm setting these with the assumption Mbakwe and Al Nolen will be available to Tubby, but not White or Cory Joseph.

(1) This first one's all on Joe Esposito and Tubby. ... The Gophers begin a home-and-home (if it starts on the road, that's OK) with any major conference program (encompasses 62 programs among the ACC, Big East, Big 12, Pac 10 & SEC), or absent that a highly respected program from outside the Big 6. Some suitable examples would be: BYU, Butler, Dayton, Gonzaga, Memphis, New Mexico, Northern Iowa, Old Dominion, San Diego State, Temple, UNLV, Utah State, UTEP, VCU, Wichita State or Xavier.

(5) Earn a bye (#5 seed or better) for the Big Ten Tournament. I will continue banging this drum until it happens. In the 13-year history of the BTT, the Gophers have only accomplished this once (2005). ... that's pathetic.

(6) Have a first-team All-Big 10 performer. This will be Tubby's fourth year at the helm. It's time to have a truly elite Big 10 performer. Devoe and Ralph (it's time for RSIII to develop consistency & toughness) appear to be the most likely candidates.

(7) Sweet 16 is my expectation, but at minimum win a NCAA Tournament game. With Baylor's success in the NCAA this year, Minnesota is now one of only 10 major conference programs yet to win a NCAA tourney game since 2000. The others are: Clemson, Colorado, Florida State, Nebraska, Northwestern, Oregon State, Rutgers, South Carolina and South Florida. For the most part, that's company I don't want to be keeping.

Two goals. 25+ W and Sweet 16. Everything else is bread crumbs on the salad.

Great post SS, no.7 is what I really want to see next season. The first team All-Big Ten performer seems toughest to achieve unless the lightbulb goes on for Ralph next year. I know I am opening myself up to mocking by saying this, but I think Rodney Williams might be the current Gopher with the best chance to become a legitimate go to player. He has all the physical gifts in the world, and if his skill set can match those gifts, he's going to be excellent. Of course that's a big if, far more great athletes never become great basketball players than do. I did not know the Gophers had only achieved a bye in the Big Ten tournament once in its 13 year history. That is actually a slightly more pathetic stat than not winning an NCAA tournament gave over the same time span.

"After all Illinois had McCamey on the first team, and where did that land them. Nowhere significant, that's for sure. Shurna, 2nd team (and maybe deserved 1st) - ditto for NU."

Can't argue wuth you there, but I would counter with, "Where did it leave the Gophers?" It was very apparent during the Xavier game that we don't have a stud. A lot of solid pieces, but not a stud. Not going to get where we want to go (deep into the NCAAs) without a stud, in my opinion.

And I certainly won't argue that having a legit 1st-teamer wouldn't be a great help to the team. Its a great individual goal, one that I'd like to see met, I'm just not sure it fits into the framework of a team goal, that's all. Frankly, I see no reason the Gophers can't produce at least one 1st-teamer and perhaps one 2nd-teamer (maybe Joseph and Blake? Ralph and Blake? Or some such combo?)

Top Bottom