Jim Dutcher on Tubby rumors, positives of coaching at the U, Tubby pimping Vince

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Here’s Why Tubby Smith Rumors Continue

Why do rumors keep occurring about Tubby Smith leaving the University of Minnesota?

Smith has been the Gophers coach for three seasons and linking his name to possible head coaching basketball jobs at other schools is commonplace. Awhile back Smith was rumored to be a possibility for the Virginia and Maryland jobs. In December of last year it was North Carolina State. Last week it was Oregon and Auburn.

Why? Former Gophers coach Jim Dutcher offered an explanation. The college basketball landscape has a handful of high profile coaches including Connecticut’s Jim Calhoun, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski, Florida’s Billy Donovan and Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim. Smith is in the conversation when power coaches are mentioned but unlike most he’s shown a willingness to change jobs. “He’s the only one who has shown a propensity to move,” Dutcher told Sports Headliners.

Smith left Kentucky to come here after 10 seasons. Before that he was at Tulsa for four years and Georgia for two.

There’s something else, too, and it’s a mindset nationally that Minnesota isn’t a job deserving enough to retain a power coach. The stepping stone attitude says the best coaches earn the right to be at the programs with the most resources, whether defined by player talent, facilities or compensation.

Does Dutcher believe Smith will stay at Minnesota? “Short term he’s staying here,” Dutcher said. “I wouldn’t want to guess whether he’s here five years from now.”

Dutcher hesitates on the five years for reasons that might not be so obvious. Dutcher, whose winning Gopher teams included a Big Ten champion in 1982, grew up in Michigan and was an assistant coach for the University of Michigan before coming here. He never wanted to leave Minnesota. This was home, a place he and his wife liked. Their four children graduated from the University of Minnesota.

Home for Smith growing up was Maryland and his career stops have included Kentucky and Georgia. Those places are a different culture than the Midwest. Weather is different, too. Dutcher remembers power coaches who left the Big Ten even though they had success in the Midwest. Gary Williams dumped Ohio State for Maryland, Bill Self went from Illinois to Kansas and years ago Midwesterner Lute Olson and his wife decided the weather and other factors in Arizona were more attractive than Iowa.

“You see it all the time where sometimes Big Ten jobs aren’t, in their view, the ultimate jobs,” said Dutcher who believes that decisions to relocate are often based on family as well as coaching considerations.

Gopher Job Offers Plenty of Positives

Dutcher and others recognize, though, that Smith, 58, has an very good job here and probably could stay until he retires. His annual compensation of nearly $2 million is exceptional among college coaches. In a pro sports town, Smith finds himself under way less pressure from the public than at basketball crazy places like Kentucky and Indiana. His comfort level is enhanced, too, by working for athletic director Joel Maturi, a person anyone would choose for a next door neighbor and a man of integrity.

Dutcher believes Smith has found something else here to his liking. “Another thing Tubby has mentioned is he’s been really surprised at the level of play in the Minnesota high schools,” Dutcher said. “I think he came in thinking he was going to have to recruit 100 percent out of state, and all at once he’s saying, ‘Hey, at least 50 percent of my roster can be right here.’ ”

Smith’s Big Ten records at Minnesota are 8-10, 9-9 and 9-9. The first season the Gophers made the NIT; the last two teams earned NCAA invitations. Dutcher said Smith’s total work here is “solid” and clearly an upgrade over predecessor Dan Monson. Then Dutcher said something surprising about Smith whose teams regularly sellout Williams Arena (capacity 14,625) for Big Ten home games.

“I base a coach’s program on attendance,” Dutcher said. “If the people believe in the program, are filling the arena, they believe that the program is solid and probably on an upswing. When you start losing fans like happened during the Monson years...the attendance dropped, and dropped and dropped, then the AD’s and college presidents are forced to make a change. I don’t think this year (2010) built on the reputation, but I don’t think it lost any ground either. After all, they were an NCAA team.”

Dutcher said there are different ways to consider common criticisms of Smith’s teams including lack of offensive plan, confusing substitutions and poor clock management. Dutcher didn’t offer validity to any of them and said there are always people unhappy about something.

Although not uncommon in the Big Ten, the Gophers did have their struggles on the road. They were 3-6 in conference road games, 3-7 overall. “The Gophers are kind of two teams,” Dutcher said. “They’re one team in Williams Arena, with the… (defensive) pressure and the running up and down the floor, and on the road they’re a much more cautious offensive team and much more cautious defensive team. Maybe you have to do that. It’s not a criticism. It’s an observation.”

Vince Taylor Praise Drew Attention

If Smith stays here he’s almost a lock to see successful fundraising result in a new practice facility. Dutcher said the age of Williams Arena is a recruiting detriment and a new practice facility will help ease that burden.

Again, will Smith stay? Who knows for sure and what’s to be believed? Dutcher and others found it a bit curious that before last week’s NCAA tournament Smith publicly praised assistant coach Vince Taylor as a man ready to run his own program. Some could view that sales job as evidence Smith was on his way out of Minneapolis and wanted Taylor to replace him.

Dutcher is willing to believe Smith had no motives beyond showcasing his assistant for other schools. “I will take him at his word that he thinks here’s a guy that deserves a chance and he wants people to know that he’s got an assistant that has earned the right to have his own team,” Dutcher said.

With the team only expected to lose seniors Lawrence Westbrook, Damian Johnson and Devron Bostick, the Gophers could have another NCAA team next season. Those prospects are enhanced if point guard Al Nolen regains his eligibility and power forward Trevor Mbakwe has his team suspension lifted following resolution of a legal issue in Florida.

One matter Dutcher said that clearly needs to be resolved is the status of power forward Royce White who received mega publicity during the basketball season but never played because of off the court problems. Although he's not in school, there remains this speculative cloud about White and the Gophers that he might rejoin the program. Dutcher said the White saga has been a distraction.

By next season the Gophers need fewer off court distractions and that hopefully will include rumors about losing their coach.

Go Gophers!!

A great article and a good read in my opinion. I sure enjoyed it! Thanks Bleed!

Nice to read Dutcher's take on the situation. I feel like a coach can be very successful at Minnesota if they have the ability to lock down the state of Minnesota and have strong connections to one recruiting hotbed (best places for Minnesota would be the similar climates of Chicago/Detroit/Philadelphia).

Tubby will find this job more attractive if/when the resources are spent (practice facility,etc) to prove it is a big time job.

Regarding His Point About Big Name Coaches Switching Jobs

Rick Pitino has coached at Boston U, Providence, Kentucky, and Louisville.

Eddie Sutton coached at Creighton, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Oklahoma State.

Rick Barnes coached at George Mason, Providence, Clemson, and Texas.

Bill Self coached at Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Illinois, and Kansas.

To name a few. Some coaches coach a long time at one school. But others don't.

Nothing against Vince Taylor but I would think that he would need to think smaller than Minnesota for his first head coaching job.

Nothing against Vince Taylor but I would think that he would need to think smaller than Minnesota for his first head coaching job.

Frank Martin got his first HC job at Kansas State in 2007. He's done really well.

Jamie Dixon got his first HC at Pittsburgh 7 or 8 years ago. Also doing very well.

Tom Izzo started his HC career at Mich St about 15 years ago. He's done great.

Good points in the article, agree with much of JD's points.

This might be a question best suited for FoT but how many former assistants does Tubby have out there coaching?

This might be a question best suited for FoT but how many former assistants does Tubby have out there coaching?

As a head coach? One-Sutton at Tennessee Tech. And he's probably going to retire soon and move to a role within the Athletic Department.

Good article. Why can't we get stuff like this from the Tribune? Dutcher's point about attendance doesn't apply much to Tubby, but if attendance dips in football, it could mean a faster trip to the hot seat for Brewster. Same goes for Borton. I'm convinced that Maturi would have stuck with Monson forever if the attendance hadn't decreased so much. The revenue the program was missing out on forced the AD's hand.

Shawn Finney was HC at Tulane, no longer.

Ron Jirsa was HC at Georgia and Dayton, no longer.

Mike Sutton is HC at Tenn Tech (if still healthy).

That's all I know.

I only read Shama when Bleed posts it here. But he sure does a nice job. It's routinely better than anything we see in either of the daily newspapers.

Top Bottom