Souhan Reports Tubby is Checking Out Auburn

akgopher

Reaction score
Posted on his Twitter account. He's on a roll in regards to Coach Smith. All over it on the radio- weather, SEC, Big Program, blah, blah. Stating that his players don't get better and confusion on offense, blah, blah.

Don't know what is up with Jim Souhan. In the past few weeks it's been look at trading Mauer and fueling Tubby Smith speculation. Don't know if he's reaching, trying for a termination severance package, doing a poor impersonation of Patrick Reusse, but it's out of character for a guy who seemed thoughtful and level-headed. His recent ramblings remind me of Glen Beck or a guy struggling with a dry drunk.

He basically admitted he's paid no attention to the team until the last two weeks. Further they discussed one of Auburn's advantages being he wouldn't have to compete with the football team the way he does at Minnesota. Completely bizzare. I really can't fathom what great source Souhan would be 'hearing' this from.

He basically admitted he's paid no attention to the team until the last two weeks. Further they discussed one of Auburn's advantages being he wouldn't have to compete with the football team the way he does at Minnesota. Completely bizzare. I really can't fathom what great source Souhan would be 'hearing' this from.

Entirely plausible. My comment was more to state that this is probably a "wait and see situation" not one that can just be openly dismissed because people may think Souhan is an idiot/poor journalist.

I, for one, don't doubt for a second that Tubby is checking that job out. Not to say he is going to take it, but there isn't really any downside to him giving it a look. I am sure he has checked other jobs out as well. I doubt his name would be floating around all of these rumors if he wasn't available or at the very least perceived as available.

Few around here probably expect Tubby to go at this point, especially to *gasp* Auburn (?!). But that said, it's almost assured that Tubby or someone representing Tubby has been in touch with Auburn, whether to discuss details or simply to just hear what Auburn has to say.

Now, while we all wish all of our coaches were true and pure, that's not realistic. Think about your own job situation. You may really like where you work and love your job, yet if some other company comes and says "hey, we want to make you an offer!" wouldn't you at least listen to what it is? I sure would. I have before. And then after you hear that offer, you make your decision. And that decision is based on many, many things.

I highly doubt Tubby is leaving, at least not for Auburn. But it's almost a guarantee that there has been at least indirection communication between Tubby and Auburn, Tubby and Virginia, or Tubby and other schools.

As for Souhan, he's just another TC sports media hack. And Dennis Dodd is an imbecile. But that doesn't mean that their stories have no legs at all here.

Now, let's just all hope that Tubby stays because we like him, hopefully he likes Minnesota; but if not then we find another coach. 50% of the time the next coach is better than the last one. You can't force someone to stay someplace they don't want to be...

I doubt his name would be floating around all of these rumors if he wasn't available or at the very least perceived as available.

Here's the rub...there is a vast difference between these two. Perception does not need to be based in reality.

Here's the rub...there is a vast difference between these two. Perception does not need to be based in reality.

Yes, I fully understand that. I didn't really state it well, but I meant for my comment to be weighted to him being available (or at least willing to check other deals out), not just perceived as such. I think you get what I mean though. The way these deals usually work, I would guess Tubby has people that let it be known that he is at least willing to listen to offers and that is why his name comes up so much.

Also, +1 to everything cncmin said. That was probably the most pragmatic post about the whole situation I have seen yet.

Yes, I fully understand that. I didn't really state it well, but I meant for my comment to be weighted to him being available (or at least willing to check other deals out), not just perceived as such. I think you get what I mean though. The way these deals usually work, I would guess Tubby has people that let it be known that he is at least willing to listen to offers and that is why his name comes up so much.

Also, +1 to everything cncmin said. That was probably the most pragmatic post about the whole situation I have seen yet.

Makes sense and my apologies for misunderstanding you. I don't doubt that he listens to offers. Frankly, I could care less that he does as its just part of the business. My personal opinion is that he has used and will continue to use these offers as leverage with the U to get the practice facility he wants. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that either.

At this point there are a few likely certainties with Tubby...
1) If it is ever about money for him then he's gone b/c the can't/won't pony up for much more than he makes now.
2) So long as he keeps leading teams to 20+ win seasons and the NCAA tourney there will be other job offers
3) As a result the TC (and national) media will continue to bombard us with nonsense for the foreseeable future.
4) As you note, the best thing to do is "wait and see", not get worked up, and go on with our lives.

Not having to compete with the football program at auburn!? HA this guy really is a crackpot. that alone discredits the whole arguement considering football is ALL auburn does.

Or maybe [gasp] there is actually something to it.

Bound to be. I mean, not having to compete with the FB team, being able to coach a big program like Auburn and all. Did you actually pay attention to any of what the dopey writer said or just decide it was time to stir the pot a bit?

I doubt Tubby leaves. However, when someone or a source says "tubby checking out Auburn"....I highly doubt they literally meant Tubby Smith himself is checking it out. Tubby can recruit on the road while his agents gather info on other gigs (if thats his desire).

Does Souhan really think if Tubby were actually checking out Auburn that there wouldn't have been a thousand people talking about it after he was seen down there?

Lol. What is Souhan's deal?

OK - I've been coming to this site for a couple years now because I actually am a friend of Tubby's and the Smith Family, unlike another "FRIEND" that claims to know so much (which most of the time I can tell he's full of it or got his info from someone 2nd hand). Tubby actually is looking at Auburn, and Oregon and another school which I won't name right now because some of the other chips haven't fallen. Sorry folks - but he may be gone soon.

OK - I've been coming to this site for a couple years now because I actually am a friend of Tubby's and the Smith Family, unlike another "FRIEND" that claims to know so much (which most of the time I can tell he's full of it or got his info from someone 2nd hand). Tubby actually is looking at Auburn, and Oregon and another school which I won't name right now because some of the other chips haven't fallen. Sorry folks - but he may be gone soon.

Stirring with a shovel today I see.

stir_the_pot.jpg

Oh thanks, now I believe you (insert sarcastic smiley face here)

Just stating the truth. He almost left a year go, but a school he was talking to wouldn't take Saul or that would've been a done deal then.

I admit that last year I was concerned about all of the rumors. This year I'm not. If he goes, he goes. If he stays, great. I don't think it's right to leverage an employer who bailed you out of a toxic situation and pays you $2M a year. There's nothing wrong with loyalty that goes in both directions. If he leaves, we'll get another coach. No lost sleep over it.

No actual friend of Tubby would say that for a number of reasons:

1. Obviously Tubby doesn't want it known (otherwise he would not have said what he has so far)- so if you are revealing it how does that make you a "friend"?

2. Rumors like this only hurt the Gopher program - especially when we are out recruiting. If Tubby stays why would you want to hurt your friend's program?

I think you are a Badger fan and that's all you are.

I actually do know I Actually Do Know Tubby and I can verify that he is full of sh-t.

It's a bit late to troll on this isn't it?

I love this quote from Tom Powers a few days ago ..

Well, they've heard it all before. Let's see, during his three-year tenure in Minnesota, Tubby was supposed to have agreed to coach Virginia, Oregon, Oklahoma State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Alabama, North Carolina State, Arizona and now Auburn.

This is a good article by the way

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_14712977?nclick_check=1

And it's nice to see the newspaper across the river not engaging in the drivel that the Strib does.

Just stating the truth. He almost left a year go, but a school he was talking to wouldn't take Saul or that would've been a done deal then.

If he was that close with another school insisting that taking Saul would not have killed the deal.

I admit that last year I was concerned about all of the rumors. This year I'm not. If he goes, he goes. If he stays, great. I don't think it's right to leverage an employer who bailed you out of a toxic situation and pays you $2M a year. There's nothing wrong with loyalty that goes in both directions. If he leaves, we'll get another coach. No lost sleep over it.

Jamiche- I agree with you in principle. However, there are an awful lot of things that are uncertain about our roster going into next year that would make an exit this year very damaging.
I don't think he will leave but I hate hearing this stuff.

If he was that close with another school insisting that taking Saul would not have killed the deal.

The only school he would have been close with is UVa. Virginia has no anti-nepotism law (Georgia does, but he was never close to going to Georgia.) Further UVa Administrators would have had no issue hiring Saul. Al Groh's kid was his defensive coordinator for a few years. (They did force him out, but only as a scape-goat for a bad season.)

No actual friend of Tubby would say that for a number of reasons:

1. Obviously Tubby doesn't want it known (otherwise he would not have said what he has so far)- so if you are revealing it how does that make you a "friend"?

2. Rumors like this only hurt the Gopher program - especially when we are out recruiting. If Tubby stays why would you want to hurt your friend's program?

I think you are a Badger fan and that's all you are.

No kidding, this guy's quite the friend.

Total BS. I spent 3 weeks in Australia (Sept 2000) in the same hotel as the Smiths. I do indeed know him. I last saw him on February 14, 2010.

Tubby will be coaching at Minnesota next season AND until retirement.

Agreed. Tubby is obviously willing to leave; he may be actively trying to leave. His statement that "I'm not a candidate for any other job" is not at all convincing to me that he wants to stay here. He could put an end to this stuff with a much stronger statement if he wanted to.

This is becoming Mason-like ... and tiresome. It's only going to hurt the program in the long run. I'd love him to retire as our coach, but it doesn't appear to me that he wants to. If he wants to go, I would like to have it happen sooner rather than later. We saw over the weekend that there are a lot of good coaches out there.

How the U/AD view the Minny bb program:

> As the only D1 program in the entire state, Minny bb is HQ'd in a dynamic, growing metro area with an increasing pool of D1-caliber players augmented by very active AAU development;

> They have a Top 5 national power conference money generator according to NBC/CNBC;

> They are willing to expend nearly $2-million/year on a successful coach with proven recruiting ability...according to most rankings, this puts the U job in the Top 10 salary range nationally;

> A new practice facility is on the way which will enhance recruiting efforts;

> Despite a good deal of local media negativity and indifference, the fan base has been revived and the BTN/ESPN/CBS provide national media coverage thus boosting the program's profile across the country;

> The bb staff has a healthy recruiting budget according to media reports of Smith & Co's travel schedule throughout the nation;

> They love Tubby and want to keep him if at all possible;

> They know that if retaining Tubby fails, there are many successful bb coaches in America and that like in many areas of our society, successful coaches frequently follow the money and perks.

Top Bottom