Major Conference Report (through 2nd round)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Overall Record
1. Big 10 (7-2)
2. Pac 10 (3-1)
3. SEC (4-2)
4. Big 12 (7-5)
T5. ACC (5-5) and Big East (6-6)

Teams in Sweet 16
1. Big 10 (3)
T2. Big East, Big 12, SEC (2)
T5. ACC, Pac 10 (1)

Major Conferences Head to Head
1. Big 10 (3-0)
2. SEC (1-0)
3. Pac 10 (2-1)
4. ACC (3-4)
5. Big East (1-2)
6. Big 12 (1-4)

Sweet 16 Head to Head
Duke vs. Purdue
Ohio State vs Tennessee
Washington vs. West Virginia

This is great, thanks.

I can just see the east-coast-loving-sports-media trying to figure out a way to spin this.

I do think you should send this post as email to Myron, Souhan, and reusse.

I don't think the Big 10 is going to have a whole lot of success from here on out. I don't know that MSU would be able to beat UNI without Lucas, and even if they win they could face OSU in the Elite 8 & that game will definitely be the farthest one of those teams will be able to go. BTW, when was the last time that the Selection committee put two regular season co-champs from a BCS conference in the same region? I think PU has about as much a chance of beating Duke as UW had against Cornell. OSU might make the F4, but I don't think they can beat Syracuse. The Big Ten did well to get 3 teams to the S16 considering all the injuries for MSU and Purdue, no question, and the Big East did surprisingly poorly considering they had five teams with top-3 seeds in their region (in addition to a couple #6s) and only put 2 in the S16.

OSU might make the F4, but I don't think they can beat Syracuse.

Thay can beat Syracuse. Syracuse is very beatable.

Good showing so far. In all due respect, 3 of the 5 teams had higher seeds in the 2nd round, so IMO, this is expected, with MSU pulling the seed upset and Wisky losing the opposite way, correct? Purdue, OSU both beat lower seeded teams, and MN lost to a higher seed.

I expect most thought MSU would have a decent chance at the round of 16...

Sorry the Badgers and Gophs lost, but nonetheless a good showing so far for the B10. The BEast has really crapped the bed so far...Also think the Pac 10 has played well for only having two teams. Many thought they would not get a win.

To call the tournament a complete success, I think the Big 10 needs to get 2 to the Elite 8 and 1 to the Final 4. That will not be easy. After seeing Tennessee in person in Providence, I think they will be a difficult matchup for OSU and especially MSU (without Lucas). Obviously, Sparty-UNI is the pivotal one. I think Sparty can win one without Lucas but can't see them beating either OSU or Tennessee.

If Purdue beats the Dukies without Hummel, that's gravy. Painter's stock has gone up big-time. Amazing how he's brought the Boilers back after the Gopher debacle. Boilers have serious guts.

Top Bottom