Reusse Tweets That Lucia Out and Blais Contacted

akgopher

Reaction score
Might be done for Lucia. Reusse says that Blais says he's not going through the process, just hire him if they want him. I like Blais, no B.S. guy.

Interesting. I think I'll wait to see something a little more concrete than Reusse's tweet before I take it too seriously. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me. Lucia hasn't done a good job in three years now and pressure has been mouting on Maturi to address the issue. Add on the fact that rumor has it that Blais would take the job if offered and it all makes sense.

However, this is Joel Maturi we're talking about. In other words, I think I'll wait before things getting too fired up at this point.

I think it's time, the program has been regressing under Lucia, time for a fresh approach.

It IS time for a change...and I actually really like Lucia. Like the poster said above, though...we're relying on Maturi to make the change and he just strikes me as a guy afraid to "hurt someone's feelings" by having to let them go.

I really don't like the idea of getting rid of Lucia. I'm not fully convinced that firing him will fix a whole lot. However, a fresh approach might be very good for the program. If someone can be found who is every damn bit as good a hockey coach as Lucia, then it should be done. If not, then it should not. Lucia is not a bad hockey coach.

On a lighter note.....Maybe Lucia could take Woog's job on FSN! From interviews on tv, it sounds like Don actually uses words to form coherent sentences! I'm just joking, of course! Lucia will get a good job somewhere and be quite, quite successful if he leaves the U.

I stick around this board because I like Gopher FB / BB. But hockey is what I'm most familiar with and my take on it is that unfortunately it's time. I also like Lucia, a lot, but the problems have gone far beyond just a bad year or two. We've steadily moved backward, from a perennial contender to a couple of "fluke" tournament losses to an inability to even make the WCHA tourney.

Whoever said Blais is no bs was right. He might not be a savior but he wouldn't be caught dead putting a team on the ice that had no physical presence. He's the kind of hockey guy who would know when he has recruited enough finesse and would turn his attention to the grinders. You have to have 'em to win on the ice for a number of reasons. So, if Blais is a real possibility then it would make losing Lucia not so tough to take. Just please no experiments Maturi.

I stick around this board because I like Gopher FB / BB. But hockey is what I'm most familiar with and my take on it is that unfortunately it's time. I also like Lucia, a lot, but the problems have gone far beyond just a bad year or two. We've steadily moved backward, from a perennial contender to a couple of "fluke" tournament losses to an inability to even make the WCHA tourney.

Whoever said Blais is no bs was right. He might not be a savior but he wouldn't be caught dead putting a team on the ice that had no physical presence. He's the kind of hockey guy who would know when he has recruited enough finesse and would turn his attention to the grinders. You have to have 'em to win on the ice for a number of reasons. So, if Blais is a real possibility then it would make losing Lucia not so tough to take. Just please no experiments Maturi.

+1 on everything you have said. I've always liked Lucia but its looking like its time for a switch. Blais is would be at the top of my list of replacements.

If this was going to happen I would think there would be more talk from the media. That leads me to believe for better or worse that Lucia is going to be back next year.

If this was going to happen I would think there would be more talk from the media. That leads me to believe for better or worse that Lucia is going to be back next year.

This, of course, would not surprise me at all. The other problem may be a limited supply of truly effective hockey coaches ready to seriously consider a move. One thing we don't want, at least IMO, is an experiment conducted using our hockey program as guinea pig.

If Lucia does get the boot but Blais doesnt get hired who are some other possible canidates for the job? Im assuming Blais is on top of the list but is anyone esle out there capable?

If Lucia does get the boot but Blais doesnt get hired who are some other possible canidates for the job? Im assuming Blais is on top of the list but is anyone esle out there capable?

Maturi hired Enrico Blasi at Miami Ohio. They were national runner up last year and the tournament's number one seed this year.

Maturi hired Enrico Blasi at Miami Ohio. They were national runner up last year and the tournament's number one seed this year.

Are you saying that we could/should go after Enrico?
Or are you saying that you have faith in Maturi's hockey coach hiring abilities?

Are you saying that we could/should go after Enrico?
Or are you saying that you have faith in Maturi's hockey coach hiring abilities?

Neither...just bringing up a name. Similar resume as Lucia's at CC...unless of course the Redhawks win it this year.

The previous association between Maturi and Blasi make it a natural. And a point well taken. Had not thought of that. Thanks Maximus.

Has there been anymore word on this? I really hope the U makes a move for Blais

It been reported and written in i believe the twcitities.com sports section that Lucia is coming back next season as head coach.

I don't believe Lucia will be fired. He is still stuggling with health issues. Look for him to retire and Blais to step in. I have double secret probation sources. :)

This subject kills me. I love the Don, and very thankfull that he came in, gave us very entertaining teams and two NT's.

But seriously, what's going on here? There is no excuse for the extended lack of sucess and down right boring hockey. I want to extend Lucia every benefit of the doubt, but this can't continue like this....

Top Bottom