Souhan: "My prediction: Smith will leave Minnesota within the next 15 months"

Have to give credit where credit is due: Souhan managed to rip not only the Gophers, but Xavier, their coach and their entire program all at once. Great job Jim. Another shining beacon of journalism from the renowned Minneapolis Star Tribune!!!!:rolleyes:

Who care what Souhan thinks? He knows nothing about BB as he demonstrates over and over this year.
The love of negativism in sports continues to grow.
Stick to baseball, souhan. But I won't be reading those columns either.

Souhan is all right in his place, but the problem is he is never in his place.

Usually I get a chuckle out of people bitching about the Trib's articles, but this was a bad one, IMO...

Cheap shots at coaches from other cities...Souhan can dish it out but not take it I guess. Really comes off as an ass in this article, IMO...

I love the two typos in the first six paragraphs while he rails about professionalism. Man, the Strib is a wreck.

The "Thinnest Skin ensemble award" seems to go to sportswriters. Souhan's not the first or the most obnoxious (see: Jay Marriotti) but he sure seems small in his response to Xavier's Chris Mack. I think he could have given a subtle dig to Mack while still maintaining the high road (something along the lines of, "No problem Coach Mack, don't forget to send the bonus check, you can address it to 'Xavier's Motivator") but instead he scorches Mack as over matched, which I have to ask, where's the evidence to that assertion? Comes off as such a small man with this response, particularly coming a day after disrespecting the top mid-major program over the last ten-fifteen years in the nation.

As for the Smith prediction-what the hell is that? I'm not saying that Smith is a rock solid commit to stay here, but how irresponsible is it to lob that out there without any additional insight? Not even vague statements are attached, just a one sentence guess. Pretty pitiful.

You know what really struck me? The little blurb at the end where you can follow him on Twitter. ugh!

Souhan's venom is impressive. It only makes me hope that Xavier wins again so Mack can again give him credit.

What is the deal with the ST writers?

What a pathetic bunch they are.

I don't normally send emails to them, in fact this is a first. But this was so pathetic I had to:

Mr. Souhan,

I normally enjoy your columns/radio appearances and even try to defend you among Gopher fans who are overly-paranoid that the local media is 'out to get them.' However, your columns and blogs the last week have sounded like the ramblings of a bitter old man.

To be sure, the Gophers had their share of disappointments this season. But there were 4 months to point them out and dissect them. Just because you were to busy and/or disinterested to pay them any attention until March does not mean you need to get your digs in via sarcasm and back-handed compliments now that they've turned things around.

The fact is that Xavier was a better team. That's why they had a higher seed. Yet you find it necessary to write a column insulting them and their conference while also providing the opponent bulletin board material. And even when their coach calls you out on it, you respond like a 2-year old on your blog. Newsflash, Jim, teams everywhere find motivation in articles such as yours. It's not a slight on Xavier's coach or his ability to motivate his team. The fact that you had multiple misspellings on the blog in which you called him out is beyond ironic.

Finally, laying out a random 'I think Tubby is gone within 15 months' with nothing behind it, is the kind of low-class journalism that is leading your industry down the tubes.

You and Reusse both need to realize that being positive about Gopher athletics 30-40% of the time, when warranted, would not be a crime or make you a homer. It would just make you less of a cynical old fart. Either figure out how to do it, or stick to the Twins.

Thanks,

I don't normally send emails to them, in fact this is a first. But this was so pathetic I had to:

Mr. Souhan,

I normally enjoy your columns/radio appearances and even try to defend you among Gopher fans who are overly-paranoid that the local media is 'out to get them.' However, your columns and blogs the last week have sounded like the ramblings of a bitter old man.

To be sure, the Gophers had their share of disappointments this season. But there were 4 months to point them out and dissect them. Just because you were to busy and/or disinterested to pay them any attention until March does not mean you need to get your digs in via sarcasm and back-handed compliments now that they've turned things around.

The fact is that Xavier was a better team. That's why they had a higher seed. Yet you find it necessary to write a column insulting them and their conference while also providing the opponent bulletin board material. And even when their coach calls you out on it, you respond like a 2-year old on your blog. Newsflash, Jim, teams everywhere find motivation in articles such as yours. It's not a slight on Xavier's coach or his ability to motivate his team. The fact that you had multiple misspellings on the blog in which you called him out is beyond ironic.

Finally, laying out a random 'I think Tubby is gone within 15 months' with nothing behind it, is the kind of low-class journalism that is leading your industry down the tubes.

You and Reusse both need to realize that being positive about Gopher athletics 30-40% of the time, when warranted, would not be a crime or make you a homer. It would just make you less of a cynical old fart. Either figure out how to do it, or stick to the Twins.

Thanks,

+1000

Mr. Souhan,

Thanks,

Thanks for writing a well thought out email to Mr Souhan.

He comes off that way in every article. It's the only way that him and Reusse can write.

Usually I get a chuckle out of people bitching about the Trib's articles, but this was a bad one, IMO...

Cheap shots at coaches from other cities...Souhan can dish it out but not take it I guess. Really comes off as an ass in this article, IMO...

I have to be honest, I actually found this article funny. Most of the people on this board complain about Souhan and how his opinion doesn't matter, yet you don't like it when he rips a coach for saying his column in the Minneapolis newspaper shouldn't be bulletin board material? Everybody hates the Strib and says it is irrelevant, but you don't laugh when he agrees with you?

Souhan isn't a basketball expert, but I don't think his take on the game was off either.

-Devoe was great filling in but whether you like him or not, Nolen helps this team a lot in a lot of different ways and the team needs him. All of the Joseph fans need to realize how much it will help him to play next to a defensive stopper/unselfish point guard. Today nobody could guard any of Xavier's guards (especially Crawford) and Nolen would have prevented a lot of collapsing every time a Xavier guard took the ball to the basket and kicked it out for a 3. He also is a lot stronger with the ball. Yes, Cory Joseph would help too.
-Sampson was tenative throughout the big ten tournament and today. While he has shown flashes, a lot of improvement is needed from him next year.
-I also didn't get a great impression of the Xavier coach during the game and found it funny that Souhan ripped him. If he ripped Bo Ryan, Izzo, or a coach you hate you'd laugh. Not many people on this board watch a lot of Xavier basketball so most people are indifferent to the coach. I think he had it coming.

Everybody needs to get off their high horse on this column. You all rip Souhan, and then you defend a guy that credited Souhan for helping his team? Come on! If I started a thread that said, "I'll bet the Xavier coach used Souhan's column to inspire the team" everybody would go nuts, and rightfully so! Souhan's column shouldn't matter and any coach that uses it is lame and over-reaching on the "no respect" angle. Season is over, lighten up a bit!

I have to be honest, I actually found this article funny. Most of the people on this board complain about Souhan and how his opinion doesn't matter, yet you don't like it when he rips a coach for saying his column in the Minneapolis newspaper shouldn't be bulletin board material? Everybody hates the Strib and says it is irrelevant, but you don't laugh when he agrees with you?

Souhan isn't a basketball expert, but I don't think his take on the game was off either.

-Devoe was great filling in but whether you like him or not, Nolen helps this team a lot in a lot of different ways and the team needs him. All of the Joseph fans need to realize how much it will help him to play next to a defensive stopper/unselfish point guard. Today nobody could guard any of Xavier's guards (especially Crawford) and Nolen would have prevented a lot of collapsing every time a Xavier guard took the ball to the basket and kicked it out for a 3. He also is a lot stronger with the ball. Yes, Cory Joseph would help too.
-Sampson was tenative throughout the big ten tournament and today. While he has shown flashes, a lot of improvement is needed from him next year.
-I also didn't get a great impression of the Xavier coach during the game and found it funny that Souhan ripped him. If he ripped Bo Ryan, Izzo, or a coach you hate you'd laugh. Not many people on this board watch a lot of Xavier basketball so most people are indifferent to the coach. I think he had it coming.

Everybody needs to get off their high horse on this column. You all rip Souhan, and then you defend a guy that credited Souhan for helping his team? Come on! If I started a thread that said, "I'll bet the Xavier coach used Souhan's column to inspire the team" everybody would go nuts, and rightfully so! Souhan's column shouldn't matter and any coach that uses it is lame and over-reaching on the "no respect" angle. Season is over, lighten up a bit!

where do you intern at the bankrupt star tribune? :rolleyes:

Mr. Souhan,

Thanks,

Nicely done!!

This was bad. I don't think his game column was that awful, but this blog post was brutal on so many levels.

I don't think that people are disagreeing with everything he says, it's just the way he presents it. He writes like a complete a$$hole. Can you really deny that? And that's the only way he writes. His response to the coach may have been funny, but he's just so far out of line, even for himself.

What is the deal with the ST writers?

What a pathetic bunch they are.

This coming from the same Blizzard would post almost all Myron's Gold in the Barn links, tweets, even live chats times...

The story is crap, but Souhan is one of their better writers.

Suehan

If it were not for Royceee, Suehan would be the biggest POS on the STRIB.

Names misspelled deliberately as neither deserve the respect that would infer.

:p

This coming from the same Blizzard would post almost all Myron's Gold in the Barn links, tweets, even live chats times

Yes. At the time what Myron was writing was fairly NEWSworthy. Current updates with Royce, Trevor, etc. Big difference from the OPINION and slant that the ST writers/bloggers are taking. Souhan, Doogie, Reusse, others.

Does anyone know if JS is a chronic or closet alcoholic?

In that context, his erratic musings and sloppy professionalism are entirely comprehensible.

Does anyone know if JS is a chronic or closet alcoholic?

In that context, his erratic musings and sloppy professionalism are entirely comprehensible.

I wondered if the same thing is going on. I've noticed a change in his perspective during the last year. I've always enjoyed his insight and really though that he and Reusse were a great team on Sundays on AM1500.

Maybe he's feeling the heat drawing his paychecks from two struggling enterprises, with the newspaper and radio industries not doing good. I also thought that maybe with Reusse only being part-time with the Star Tribune, he feels that becoming the cynical one will help him avoid the budget axe.

Yes. At the time what Myron was writing was fairly NEWSworthy. Current updates with Royce, Trevor, etc.

All those worthless updates about two players while their status never changed from suspended indefinitely. Yeah, Myron deserves a big pat on the back for his part in fueling that fire.

Top Bottom