A great Andy Katz (ESPN) tweet on Tubby Smith/Auburn crap that is out there...

Reaction score
Andy Katz tweets: "Tell me why Tubby Smith would go to the worst job in the SEC right now when he once had the best. I don't buy it. Not at all."

Amen, brotha.....Amen.

Same reason he came to Minnesota. Less Pressure and the bar for Success is much lower.

In three years here, he goes NIT, and then NCAA twice losing in first round. Here he's considered a good coach. In Kentucky, he's considered horrible.

Andy Katz tweets: "Tell me why Tubby Smith would go to the worst job in the SEC right now when he once had the best. I don't buy it. Not at all."

Amen, brotha.....Amen.

New arena and $ aside, Auburn is a crappy job. If Tubby leaves for Auburn it's because he has big problems with Maturi.

I agree. On the surface, I cannot see Auburn as any sort of an upgrade over Minnesota.

Same reason he came to Minnesota. Less Pressure and the bar for Success is much lower.

In three years here, he goes NIT, and then NCAA twice losing in first round. Here he's considered a good coach. In Kentucky, he's considered horrible.

Joe Hall went to NIT in 1979 then 1-3 the next 3 seasons (1980-81-82) in NCAA games. The only W came in Rupp Arena.

Was he horrible?

Yes, Kentucky fans would consider that horrible, without a doubt.

Thankfully, they didn't. Hall made FF the next year.

He won 75% of his games at UK (and 1 NCAA title) plus 69% of his NCAA games.

Tubby 76% (1 NC) and 72% respectively.

Hall was NOT considered horrible by any stretch.

Joe Hall went to NIT in 1979 then 1-3 the next 3 seasons (1980-81-82) in NCAA games. The only W came in Rupp Arena.

Was he horrible?

Making and winning games in the NCAA tournament was a lot harder from 1979-1982 then it was in Tubby's time, FWIW.

Well they hate Tubby in Kentucky even though he did well though, so i dont understand this argument

1) "They" don't all hate Tubby in Kentucky
2) As Howeda said, if Tubby leaves it will be because he has problems w/the AD. Period.

Making and winning games in the NCAA tournament was a lot harder from 1979-1982 then it was in Tubby's time, FWIW.

No, it wasn't. UK played 2 games IN RUPP ARENA in 1980 NCAA, then played opponents UAB and Middle Tenn St in 1981 and 1982.

Texas (2009) and Xavier (2010) are tougher opponents than those.

1) "They" don't all hate Tubby in Kentucky
2) As Howeda said, if Tubby leaves it will be because he has problems w/the AD. Period.

1 is correct.

2 is not. He ain't leaving nor does he have problems with Maturi.

Joel >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mitch Barnhart.

Well they hate Tubby in Kentucky even though he did well though, so i dont understand this argument

Tubby got in trouble because of the lack of his final fours, which was the longest in team history as well as the final two seasons where he was mediocre by their standards. Don't forget Florida won back to back NCAA titles during his last two years.

Kentucky fans also did not like his style of play and the lack Final Fours beyond his first season. After the 2005 season there was little confidence that he could win big NCAA games with his own players. Over his whole time at Kentucky possibly just a couple games changed the opinions of fans there.

UK averages 2 FF every 10 years. Tubby made 1 in 10. Not exactly WAY behind, is it?

After 2005 season? That's absurd. He coached his own recruits every year from 2001 through 2005 at UK. His NCAA W-L record was 11-5 those years.

Kentucky fans also did not like his style of play and the lack Final Fours beyond his first season. After the 2005 season there was little confidence that he could win big NCAA games with his own players. Over his whole time at Kentucky possibly just a couple games changed the opinions of fans there.

Let's be blunt. Some (not all, but many) Kentucky fans didn't like the color of his skin or his race.

UK averages 2 FF every 10 years. Tubby made 1 in 10. Not exactly WAY behind, is it?

After 2005 season? That's absurd. He coached his own recruits every year from 2001 through 2005 at UK. His NCAA W-L record was 11-5 those years.

I edited my post to put his final two years into context. Tubby had the longest drought of any Kentucky coach ever. No other Kentucky coach saw a team from the SEC win back to back titles while they were in the middle of the pack.

If Tubby wins it all in 2003 and makes the Final Four in 2005, he is still coaching there no matter what Florida did. It was best for Tubby to leave when he did because the pressure to match Florida was too much. Calipari walked into a pretty good deal because expectations were low and Florida has fallen off.

FOT- I wish you would stop your racist remarks about Kentucky and KY fans. Joker Phillips just became our head football coach and everyone in the state is excited and upbeat about the coming football season. You have a serious problem.

FOT- I wish you would stop your racist remarks about Kentucky and KY fans. Joker Phillips just became our head football coach and everyone in the state is excited and upbeat about the coming football season. You have a serious problem.

Sorry but I grew up there, lived there almost 25 years.

It's a fact. Some (not all but many) UK fans didn't like Tubby for his race and skin color.

Joker Phillips has nothing to do with the facts above.

I glad you're gone and don't bother to come back. Obvously, you don't know anything about Joker either.

I edited my post to put his final two years into context. Tubby had the longest drought of any Kentucky coach ever. No other Kentucky coach saw a team from the SEC win back to back titles while they were in the middle of the pack.

If Tubby wins it all in 2003 and makes the Final Four in 2005, he is still coaching there no matter what Florida did. It was best for Tubby to leave when he did because the pressure to match Florida was too much. Calipari walked into a pretty good deal because expectations were low and Florida has fallen off.

Adolph Rupp made 1 FF in his last 14 years and won 1 NCAA title in his last 20 years at UK.

Tubby made 1 FF in 10 years and won 1 NC in 10 years at UK.

UK made 1 FF and won 0 NC in the 1960's. Ditto in the 1980's.

Guess it depends how you measure your droughts.

PS the outcome in 2003 or 2005 had nothing to do with Tubby leaving. Minnesota is a better spot FOR HIM.

I glad your gone and don't bother to come back. Obvously, you don't know anything about Joker either.

I go back often. The racism is still there. Look to your left, look to your right. You won't have to look far to find one.

Joker has nothing to do with the facts why Tubby left, period.

Find one what? And we weren't talking about Tubby's leaving- we were talking about your perception of racism.

Wow -- and I thought that the "Usual Suspects" on this board were gone, only to be replaced by others. Chill folks..

Top Bottom