Why didn't we hear more rumors about Clem?

howeda7

Reaction score
All of these Tubby rumors for the second year in a row have me wondering: Why didn't we hear more rumors about Clem leaving while he was here? It seems that the Tubby rumors stem from a belief that 'little old Minnesota on the frozen tundra can't compete with school X'. But I don't recall hearing similar things about Clem. He didn't have quite Tubby's resume, but it was still solid, especially post-Final Four.

Was it just because the internet was small-time and the media didn't spread rumors as much? Was it because Clem was perceived to be completely happy here and Tubby isn't? Were there rumors I simply don't remember? I'm curious what those a little older/with better memories think.

Clem never won a national championship and coach at the self proclaimed basketball mecca of the world. The internet being small time had a lot to do with it too i think. Plus who knows, rumors about Clem might have started up had he not been caught cheating.

It's true that rumors spread more wildly now then they did when Clem was here due to the internet. Now internet rumors circulate very fast, and are reported on pretty quickly. Spread it enough, and someone in the media treats it as worthy of reporting, and then others in the media do the same. Sort of the opinion version of money laundering.

But Clem may not have been as much in demand as Tubby was. But if Clem had left, think of all the trouble we could have avoided.

Its called the internet. Any idiot can say something and in half an hour get it picked up by a major media outlet who is too lazy to actually do research....

gg5

Its called the internet. Any idiot can say something and in half an hour get it picked up by a major media outlet who is too lazy to actually do research....

My favorite is when multiple media sources site 1 original source but then use as their source one or more of the other media sources as if there really are multiple sources for the story.

Lazy morons.

My favorite is when multiple media sources site 1 original source but then use as their source one or more of the other media sources as if there really are multiple sources for the story.

Lazy morons.

I think there is an opportunity for a media outlet (sports or otherwise) to have as their slogan:

"We might not always get it first, but we always get it right."

I think there is an opportunity for a media outlet (sports or otherwise) to have as their slogan:

"We might not always get it first, but we always get it right."

'Most' reputable ones still operate under the 'two sources who will go on record' standard. That is slipping severely though. Clearly Mr. Dodd has no such standards. And many outlets feel free to 'tweet' or blog things they would never formally publish, without adhering to this standard. Then more reputable outlets pick these up as legit sources, and a snowball starts rolling down a hill.

All of these Tubby rumors for the second year in a row have me wondering: Why didn't we hear more rumors about Clem leaving while he was here? It seems that the Tubby rumors stem from a belief that 'little old Minnesota on the frozen tundra can't compete with school X'. But I don't recall hearing similar things about Clem. He didn't have quite Tubby's resume, but it was still solid, especially post-Final Four.

Was it just because the internet was small-time and the media didn't spread rumors as much? Was it because Clem was perceived to be completely happy here and Tubby isn't? Were there rumors I simply don't remember? I'm curious what those a little older/with better memories think.

Not much Internet in mid 1990's. Al Gore had only recently invented it back then.

Clem missed the tournament a lot when he was here too, he wasn't bad but he wasn't at Tubby's level at all IMO.

Clem missed the tournament a lot when he was here too, he wasn't bad but he wasn't at Tubby's level at all IMO.

I agree. He wasn't all that successful over all. Kind of like Dutcher. Both were undervalued by we Gopher fans at the time. (except when Clem went to the Final Four...Then he was God for a year)

Clem had a couple good years but never built on his success too well. Good coach but not at Tubbys level IMO

Fans here were starting to get pretty restless with Clem until the 1997 run. After the 1990 Elite Eight run, it seemed like we were 9-9 and on the bubble every year.

'Most' reputable ones still operate under the 'two sources who will go on record' standard. That is slipping severely though. Clearly Mr. Dodd has no such standards. And many outlets feel free to 'tweet' or blog things they would never formally publish, without adhering to this standard. Then more reputable outlets pick these up as legit sources, and a snowball starts rolling down a hill.

The only two sources I have "...who will go on record..." are the two beers I drink at one time so neither of them gets cold and I save trips to the fridge.

"...and a snowball starts rolling down a hill." See Merle Haggard, "I'm rolling down hill like a snowball headed for hell."

Early on Clem seemed to care more about the welfare of his players then he did winning. If a player came to Mn and did Clem's bidding then he saw the floor. Clem didn't chase players so he could offer others. Clem's teams were extremely tough at the Barn, away not so much. His teams did well post season on neutral court. 16,8,Final Four, Nit title. He was a good coach and his players improved and played hard. With the exception of the Larry Davis period his recruiting was sub par.

I remember rumors about Clem coaching the Olympic team would pop up every 4 years. I always scratched my head as to what on earth would qualify Clem to coach the Olympic team.

* Completely unrelated but I always remember (Because my Iowa friends won't let me!) the time Clem threatened to boycot the Big-10 season if Randy Carter & Ziggy didn't get invited to the Portsmouth NBA tryouts.

Top Bottom