If Tubby wants to leave, good riddance

GopherFish

Reaction score
I do WANT Tubby to stay, but I won't lose any sleep worrying about him leaving. I was very excited when we first got Tubby, but frankly I expected the program to be much further along by now.

Tubby has not proven to be a great recruiter. His best players are Monson holdovers: Johnson, Westbrook, Nolen and Hoff. Joseph, Iverson, Sampson and Williams have shown some flashes but none of these players look like they can be the player to step up and carry this team on a consistent basis. I know there is still time, but usually special players have emerged by their sophomore years.

I've been a little disappointed in how this year turned out with White, Mbakwe and Nolen. Sure I blame the players foremost, but the way the first two suspensions were strung out did not endear me to the Tubby way, as he seemed to be pressured by Maturi. Also, doesn't a coaching staff monitor players like Nolen to make sure they are attending classes and progressing sufficiently in their classwork.

As a game day coach, he's nothing special. He doesn't make good halftime adjustments and he loses more than his share of close games.

Tubby is an honorable man with a history of winning, teaching good team defense, and seems to be liked by his players. Therefore, I hope he stays. But if he wants to leave, we should be able to find a decent replacement considering that we have a history of being a good program with good coaches (except for the probation years), we play in the Big Ten and we have a pretty good pool of homegrown talent in our backyard and no other Division 1 programs to compete with.

I do WANT Tubby to stay, but I won't lose any sleep worrying about him leaving. I was very excited when we first got Tubby, but frankly I expected the program to be much further along by now.

Tubby has not proven to be a great recruiter. His best players are Monson holdovers: Johnson, Westbrook, Nolen and Hoff. Joseph, Iverson, Sampson and Williams have shown some flashes but none of these players look like they can be the player to step up and carry this team on a consistent basis. I know there is still time, but usually special players have emerged by their sophomore years.

I've been a little disappointed in how this year turned out with White, Mbakwe and Nolen. Sure I blame the players foremost, but the way the first two suspensions were strung out did not endear me to the Tubby way, as he seemed to be pressured by Maturi. Also, doesn't a coaching staff monitor players like Nolen to make sure they are attending classes and progressing sufficiently in their classwork.

As a game day coach, he's nothing special. He doesn't make good halftime adjustments and he loses more than his share of close games.

Tubby is an honorable man with a history of winning, teaching good team defense, and seems to be liked by his players. Therefore, I hope he stays. But if he wants to leave, we should be able to find a decent replacement considering that we have a history of being a good program with good coaches (except for the probation years), we play in the Big Ten and we have a pretty good pool of homegrown talent in our backyard and no other Division 1 programs to compete with.

What if he doesn't want to leave?

If he wants to stay his job is secure and I like most of us will welcome him here. But since speculation of him leaving has taken over this board, all I'm saying is that this program can move on without him.

If he wants to stay his job is secure and I like most of us will welcome him here. But since speculation of him leaving has taken over this board, all I'm saying is that this program can move on without him.

And who would the U hire to replace Tubby? I don't believe we could get a coach as good as Tubby if he left.

Tubby has brought this program back from the ignominy of the last five "probation years." I'd be sorely disappointed if he didn't continue to coach here.

I'm not sure how long our finny friend has been a Gopher fan but the "good riddance" and complaints about Tubby sounds to me like a case of premature sour grapes. I'd remind our finny friend that there's never a problem to see what actually happens before spouting off.

It's funny how the guys in their 3rd or 4th year tend to play better than those in their 1st or 2nd. Maybe there's something to that? Experience? Nah, I'm talking crazy.

I'm perplexed at how you can say "good riddance" in the title of your post, then "I hope he stays" in the same post. Regardless of how you feel about Tubby, lets keep some semblance of perspective here.

I think there is some chance of Tubby leaving. I thought this even before the ESPN story. Given the precarious situations of Royce, Trevor and Al, its possible none of them come back. With Westy and DJ leaving and our recruiting class being lackluster (assuming we don't get Cory), Tubby might see this as a good chance to jump ship and not be associated with a losing team.

I think there is some chance of Tubby leaving. I thought this even before the ESPN story. Given the precarious situations of Royce, Trevor and Al, its possible none of them come back. With Westy and DJ leaving and our recruiting class being lackluster (assuming we don't get Cory), Tubby might see this as a good chance to jump ship and not be associated with a losing team.

Okay, a couple of questions here:

What are you talking about with the whole "losing team" bit? Because Oregon and Auburn are such "winning" programs? Even without those guys, the Gophers would still be pretty decent next year. Oregon and Auburn? You'd have to sell me a little more on that one.

On top of that, which ESPN story are you talking about? The Katz tweet about Auburn being the worst job in the SEC? Or maybe the CBS double-talk gem from Dennis Dodd perhaps?

LOL

Let me paraphrase, "If GopherFish wants to leave, good riddance."

:p

Maybe watch a game or two before posting. This is a hilarious statement. Without Devoe and Iverson we don't even sniff the tournament and we don't get out of the first round of the Big Ten Tourney. Our best players are Tubby Recruits by far.

Not sure why Tubby wud pass on UVA to take Auburn. For sure Oregon is a better opportunity than Auburn. However all I have ever heard Tubby say is he wants to coach the Gophers. I think the table here is set pretty well for a couple of great seasons. WHy leave? To start over somewhere else. Methinks NOT!

Maybe watch a game or two before posting. This is a hilarious statement. Without Devoe and Iverson we don't even sniff the tournament and we don't get out of the first round of the Big Ten Tourney. Our best players are Tubby Recruits by far.

Exactly. Even as I write this I can imagine a finny fish swimming inside a very small, secure box.

I would not be sad if Tubby left and we got Bruce Pearl!!!

I would not be sad if Tubby left and we got Bruce Pearl!!!

This is crazy talk...Tubby is one of the few D-1 coaches that will have a competitive team year in year out based on his ability to get players to over achieve...Bruce Pearl on his best day is no Tubby Smith....Bruce Pearl is more closely relate to John Calipari type coaches and who wants to win that way??? Certainly not the Gophers..Tubby will make you guys proud of your program and will win ...what more do you want...

This is crazy talk...Tubby is one of the few D-1 coaches that will have a competitive team year in year out based on his ability to get players to over achieve...Bruce Pearl on his best day is no Tubby Smith....Bruce Pearl is more closely relate to John Calipari type coaches and who wants to win that way??? Certainly not the Gophers..Tubby will make you guys proud of your program and will win ...what more do you want...

If Tubby left i would like him to be the coach.

Top Bottom