Tubby on Auburn: rumors are "just talk," and he's looking forward to returning to MN

It's actually kind of amusing to watch when national media members hear a "rumor" and then start spinning their little brains into a tizzy about the possibility of it actually being fact. That's how you get articles like the latest gem by Dennis Dodd, who first said "Tubby was on the verge of being hired" in one sentence and then backtracked with "there might not be anything to it" the very next sentence.

Certainly ranks as straight brilliance at it's finest.

Kind of a denial, kind of not. Still not worried about Auburn at all. The Gophers need to breakthrough soon though. As soon as the Gophers challenge for the Big Ten title, the noise about jobs like Oregon and Auburn will stop. At that point, we will just have to hear rumors about Maryland or some elite program that has fallen on hard times.

Media rumors drive me crazy

Once again, some unknown writer tosses out a rumor to either stir up interest or wait to see if it could possibly come true and then say, "Hey, I said it first!" I know it comes with the territory with a coach of Tubby's credentials, but it really gets old. The timing of this one was especially strange (picture Tubby running an intense practice for a tournament game and then chatting with Auburn during a break), but it is at the height of basketball fan interest, so the CBSsports guy jumped on that, no doubt.

Meanwhile, wait'll next year and Go Gophers!

They already have by saying he didnt sound all that convincing when talking to the media after the game.

And all the blabber on GopherHole doesn't sound all that convincing either.
Sheesh!!!!

A rumor about him leaving is far more interesting than him staying. You can talk for days about a rumor, you can't fill a lot of time talking about him staying.

none of what Tubby or any coach for that matter says to the media means anything to the new coach at a place rumored to be going is actually hired.

not that I am in favor of Tubby leaving would rahter have him stay but why does it seem his name is brought up with every job that opens? is it because he wants to leave for the right opportunity? just because he is a name in coaching? there are many names in coaching and you don't hear their names mentioned. is it because other schools believe his landing in Minnesota was just to get out of Kentucky and his time here is just a stop over until he gets a better offer and all schools beleive their job is better than the Minnesota job?

it just seems that there is something to this with Tubby's name rumored and every job that comes open. it can't just be coincidence. or can it?

none of what Tubby or any coach for that matter says to the media means anything to the new coach at a place rumored to be going is actually hired.

not that I am in favor of Tubby leaving would rahter have him stay but why does it seem his name is brought up with every job that opens? is it because he wants to leave for the right opportunity? just because he is a name in coaching? there are many names in coaching and you don't hear their names mentioned. is it because other schools believe his landing in Minnesota was just to get out of Kentucky and his time here is just a stop over until he gets a better offer and all schools beleive their job is better than the Minnesota job?

it just seems that there is something to this with Tubby's name rumored and every job that comes open. it can't just be coincidence. or can it?

Ding, ding, ding we have a winner, imo. I don't agree with this but I think this is probably how other programs view it.

The way it was reported and talked about during the game on CBS was disturbing. I also said I don't know why he would leave for a program like Auburn with the potential squad we could have here next year. The season was up and down, but the future still looks promising.

I would be concerned. And I don't think Dennis Dodd's source is the same as mine. This was out there two days ago and I got it from two people: one in another Athletic Department in the SEC that plays in the same division as Auburn and one from within the UKAD.

Don't take any coach's word in these matters. Have you ever seen a coach, at an end of the season presser, admit to "Yeah, I'm gone"?

The one thing that actually makes me think twice about these reports (rather than blindly dismiss them) is that they keep coming up. I think if Tubby was clearly rooted in Minnesota, there wouldn't be so many rumors as to his moving.

Originally Posted by scools12

The Truth "Don't take any coach's word in these matters. Have you ever seen a coach, at an end of the season presser, admit to "Yeah, I'm gone"? " said it much better then I but I tried to convey the same thing.

Truth, my experience with these things is that all of the rumors on these things are coming from the same direction i.e..Auburn. Auburn saying they're interested in him. Auburn saying he's thier target..etc.

Truth, my experience with these things is that all of the rumors on these things are coming from the same direction i.e..Auburn. Auburn saying they're interested in him. Auburn saying he's thier target..etc.

Agreed. It sounds a lot like the same kinds of things we heard from the Virginia wackos last year.

Originally Posted by scools12

The Truth "Don't take any coach's word in these matters. Have you ever seen a coach, at an end of the season presser, admit to "Yeah, I'm gone"? " said it much better then I but I tried to convey the same thing.

I would agree that Tubby's response to the rumor is standard issue coach-speak. I don't feel any more or less comfortable than I did before reading his quote.

I would be concerned. And I don't think Dennis Dodd's source is the same as mine. This was out there two days ago and I got it from two people: one in another Athletic Department in the SEC that plays in the same division as Auburn and one from within the UKAD.

Don't take any coach's word in these matters. Have you ever seen a coach, at an end of the season presser, admit to "Yeah, I'm gone"?

The Truth is FALSE again. He IS consistent, if nothing else.

My sources aren't from Auburn and I'm almost certain Dodd's aren't either.

What folks don't understand is that these things are done behind the scenes and through intermediaries. There has been contact and Tubby's people have expressed some level of interest. Doesn't mean he's packing his bags nor does it mean he's staying either. No coach (especially one who has been around as long as Coach Smith) is going to admit anything other than "I'm happy where I am. I have no interest...." If you do tell the truth? You're giving every rival recruiter ammunition on the trail. If you don't believe me go ask Joel Maturi when the first contact was made, who made it and what Tubby's last words were before he left for Minnesota.

My sources aren't from Auburn and I'm almost certain Dodd's aren't either.

What folks don't understand is that these things are done behind the scenes and through intermediaries. There has been contact and Tubby's people have expressed some level of interest. Doesn't mean he's packing his bags nor does it mean he's staying either. No coach (especially one who has been around as long as Coach Smith) is going to admit anything other than "I'm happy where I am. I have no interest...." If you do tell the truth? You're giving every rival recruiter ammunition on the trail. If you don't believe me go ask Joel Maturi when the first contact was made, who made it and what Tubby's last words were before he left for Minnesota.

1.) you have sources......sure you do little guy. sure you do. :rolleyes:

2.) everyone here understands how these "things" work, but thanks for the run-down principal skinner.

At 12 noon on "The Tubby Smith Show" in Lexington, Ky.
Last regular season show of the 2007 season, Rob Bromley asked Tubby if he would be back next year.
It was in question because the media knew that Tubby had a couple of meetings with the UK AD.
Tubby Smith said: " Of course I'll be back and am looking forward to recruiting and thinking about what we
are going to do next season"
3 hours later Tubby Smith was on a plane for Minn. to take the job as the next coach.
It is obvious that Tubby knew he was leaving when he was asked at noon.

I am not faulting Tubby for those comments. That's just the way it is done.
ALL coaches say they will be back the next year and are happy where they are.
Only when IT IS A DONE DEAL and the COACH IS ON A PLANE for the next job do they
finally admit they are making a change.

Again, this is NOT a slight on Tubby.
The only reason I am saying this is because whatever Tubby said today MEANS NOTHING !! one way or the other.
The only time you will find out IF Tubby is interested in the job at Auburn is IF he takes the job and
steps on a plane headed to Alabama to hold a press conference announcing he is the next Auburn coach.
The you will know he is leaving.

For what its worth I see this as a toss up.
I could see him taking the Auburn job but I can just as easily see him coaching at Minn until he retires.

The only reason I am saying this is because whatever Tubby said today MEANS NOTHING !! one way or the other.
The only time you will find out IF Tubby is interested in the job at Auburn is IF he takes the job and
steps on a plane headed to Alabama to hold a press conference announcing he is the next Auburn coach.

I could see him taking the Auburn job but I can just as easily see him coaching at Minn until he retires.

Right, he's not going to come out and say "yes I am currently pursuing other jobs." I believe him when he says he is happy here but couldn't he be happier somewhere else? That being said, I hope he stays here till he retires but we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Tubby is one of the top coaches in the country, most every program would like to have him as their coach. In his career he has made a progression onto higher profile schools until he took the job at Minnesota. I doubt that the U of M was ever in his mind as a "dream" job. He came here for a number of reasons, most we will never really know. He seems to genuinely like it here and as along as he sees things progressing in the right direction, I really don't see him leaving. Minnesota is not one of the top 10 programs in the country, but it can be one of the top 20 programs.

Since Tubby made the switch to Minnesota, all the other schools have the hope that he would do it again and come lead their "great" program. Tubby has never been the type of person who wants to grab the spotlight and jump from school to school. He has already been at a nut factory, and seems to enjoy a more normal basketball atmosphere.

Don't blame Tubby that his name keeps coming up, it will keep coming up until next year when we win the Big Ten!

Really wish JG would come on here and clear things up. I'm sick of all the he's leaving/he's not leaving debate. My only question, if he did leave, would F.O.T. still come on this board and post, or would he go to the Auburn board and talk about how Minnesota is a bunch of racists?

Tubby is one of the top coaches in the country, most every program would like to have him as their coach. In his career he has made a progression onto higher profile schools until he took the job at Minnesota. I doubt that the U of M was ever in his mind as a "dream" job. He came here for a number of reasons, most we will never really know. He seems to genuinely like it here and as along as he sees the things progressing in the right direction, I really don't see him leaving. Minnesota is not one of the top 10 programs in the country, but it can be one of the top 25 to 30 programs.

Since Tubby made the switch to Minnesota, all the other schools have the hope that he would do it again and come lead their "great" program. Tubby has never been the type of person who wants to grab the spotlight and jump from school to school. He has already been at a nut factory, and seems to enjoy a more normal basketball atmosphere.

Don't blame Tubby that his name keeps coming up, it will keep coming up until next year when we win the Big Ten!

This is all true. That said, Tubby could easily be more forceful in putting down these rumors. Yet he has declined to so. Why? We can't know for sure. Maybe he is really interested in the jobs being offered. I buy that for UVa. I don't buy that for Auburn. I think he also feels compelled to keep Maturi's feet to the fire. The practice facility he's been promised is going slower then molasis when other schools would have it coming out of the ground by now. He's been here 3 years and never offered a hint of a contract extension even though the bumbling football coach got one, etc. For these things I blame our bumbling, well-meaning AD.

At 12 noon on "The Tubby Smith Show" in Lexington, Ky.
Last regular season show of the 2007 season, Rob Bromley asked Tubby if he would be back next year.
It was in question because the media knew that Tubby had a couple of meetings with the UK AD.
Tubby Smith said: " Of course I'll be back and am looking forward to recruiting and thinking about what we
are going to do next season"
3 hours later Tubby Smith was on a plane for Minn. to take the job as the next coach.
It is obvious that Tubby knew he was leaving when he was asked at noon.

I am not faulting Tubby for those comments. That's just the way it is done.
ALL coaches say they will be back the next year and are happy where they are.
Only when IT IS A DONE DEAL and the COACH IS ON A PLANE for the next job do they
finally admit they are making a change.

Not exactly how it happened. You can still Google the Internet and get the Rob Bromley story.

Really wish JG would come on here and clear things up. I'm sick of all the he's leaving/he's not leaving debate. My only question, if he did leave, would F.O.T. still come on this board and post, or would he go to the Auburn board and talk about how Minnesota is a bunch of racists?

No - Minnesotans aren't racists in large numbers like Kentuckians are.

Not exactly how it happened. You can still Google the Internet and get the Rob Bromley story.

Perhaps not VERBATIM
I am paraphrasing but that is the gist of what was said.

I don't need to Goggle anything.
I live in Lexington and watched the show and watched Rob
talk later about how he was shocked even though he thought
Tubby seemed a little different than usual.

Again,
The point was not a criticism of Tubby, just pointing out
that coaches deny anything but their current job until
a contract is ready and a plane whisk them off to their
next job.

Top Bottom